• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Ok how about this:

Let inflation rip..(ish not hyper inflation)

allow wage increases in line with it, devalue the pound.

borrow more - but invest this not in tax cuts, but on fixing the supply issues by creating and enhancing domestic industries to curtail these supply issues and remake a new powerful industrial base - like Germany have.

the devaluation of the pound will also mean we are more competitive.

inflation is bad, but inflation + recession is fûcking catastrophic.

with my obviously very well thought out plan - with absolutely no flaws at least we get growth and become more self reliant.

ok let it rip… on my simpleton views
Devaluation is always bad. Unless we're planning on a return to before the industrial revolution, international trade is necessary.

Devalue and everything is more expensive. Even the cheap tat we all buy from China will be luxury goods.

On social media there is already a movement trying to push civil disobedience. Dontpayuk.
They are calling for people to collectively cancel their energy Direct debits on on October the 1st . It’s growing daily.

Not saying it’s the correct thing to do but some people may be desperate by then.
At least they'll be warm in prison

I have no idea how they deal with it. Whilst we are still in the ECHR it won’t be prison .
So they don't pay, they get taken to court for what they owe, they don't pay, they get held in contempt of court.

If they still don't pay then the result is prison. Or is there something special about energy companies that means they cannot take people who owe them money to court?

So they don't pay, they get taken to court for what they owe, they don't pay, they get held in contempt of court.

If they still don't pay then the result is prison. Or is there something special about energy companies that means they cannot take people who owe them money to court?
I don’t know the particulars but in this country you can’t go to prison for it.

It’s a civil debt. Not criminal.

Child maintence , Council Tax, criminal fines and business rates are criminal debts that can lead to prison.

All others are civil debt. I’m sure there is court but no prison. If you had a non payment on mass how would they even deal with it . Would take ages to chase that debt. If people stopped direct debits and just made a monthly payment of what they could afford they are still trying to pay so it probably would not get to claims court.

For some people sadly there will be no choice. Pay Energy company’s or feed your children. Wild we are here in 2022 .

Last edited:

Child maintence , Council Tax, criminal fines and business rates are criminal debts that can lead to prison.

All others are civil debt. I’m sure there is court but no prison. If you had a non payment on mass how would they even deal with it . Would take ages to chase that debt. If people stopped direct debits and just made a monthly payment of what they could afford they are still trying to pay so it probably would not get to claims court.
Civil contempt is still a thing isn't it? Or have the bedwetters had that stopped?

If so, refusing to pay what a court has ordered would lead to civil contempt. That could (and should) result in a prison sentence.

I’m not sure if this is a serious question, but in case it is…

At (for example) 9.00pm on a Sunday evening?

And, even if that’s possible, is this really how people are supposed to live in one of the wealthiest nations on earth?

Absolutely.

It’s incoherent for the Tories to be constantly banging on about “5th highest GDP in the world”, and “world-leading this” and “global leaders in that” but untold swathes of the population will be in fuel poverty shortly.

Meanwhile the broken logic of their position is laid bare as the two leadership hopefuls trash their own record of the last 12 years. And more: they tell us the only people that can fix it are the same that broke it.

If it were ever true, the notion that the Tories are economically responsible is shot. They’re now the party of ideological zealotry, governing for the benefit of the 1%.

They want a “high-wage, high skills” economy, but when the workers just want parity with inflation, so not even a real terms rise they’re all against it.

i think he is referring to the fact they have all been shut down.

I am indeed.

Nice to hear the F the Tories song ringing out at the community shield match yesterday. Hopefully it’ll be sung across the country.

For some people sadly there will be no choice. Pay Energy company’s or feed your children. Wild we are here in 2022 .

I also have no idea what non-payment could lead to in terms of punishment, but is there a risk that at some point there would be a default noted on your credit record? I think missed payments can be noted without there having to be a court judgement (but I'm not wholly sure on that, and that might just be for loans). Granted if you are in a 'heat or eat' situation that's probably the least of your worries now but it could cause you problems in years to come.
If you have difficulties paying your bills, speak to your energy company about a different payment plan and take advice e.g. CAB (especially if you are having to prioritise which bills to pay first).

I totally understand why people might do this, desperate people will do desperate things. But just make sure you understand the longer term impact of doing anything other than a short-term protest.

And yes, it is ridiculous - no, it is shameful - that this is where we are in 2022.

Desperate people will already be on prepayment meters, so can’t really take part. The campaign is hoping for solidarity from people who have reasonable credit ratings.

They are quite right that if a million people withheld payment, all punitive mechanisms would be overloaded, just as they were with poll tax refuseniks. However, they will only hit this target if they manage to preserve a coalition of trots, anarchists, poujadists, anti-vaxxers and any other disaffected soul who has ever waved a placard around. That looks doubtful.

I also have no idea what non-payment could lead to in terms of punishment, but is there a risk that at some point there would be a default noted on your credit record? I think missed payments can be noted without there having to be a court judgement (but I'm not wholly sure on that, and that might just be for loans). Granted if you are in a 'heat or eat' situation that's probably the least of your worries now but it could cause you problems in years to come.
If you have difficulties paying your bills, speak to your energy company about a different payment plan and take advice e.g. CAB (especially if you are having to prioritise which bills to pay first).

I totally understand why people might do this, desperate people will do desperate things. But just make sure you understand the longer term impact of doing anything other than a short-term protest.

And yes, it is ridiculous - no, it is shameful - that this is where we are in 2022.

I would think it’s a certainty it would affect your credit rating. I saw the movement online a few days back and it’s been gathering pace.

Personally not something I’d do as want to keep my finances in the black. The thing is I can totally understand why people are leaning towards it.

As an act of civil disobedience I’m not sure how effective it is but I suppose the threat of it seems appealing. Can’t see it being another poll tax moment.

With all the strikes and cost of living stuff at the moment I fear a bleak winter in this country.

We can all afford £2 a week, if that's the offering, it will be accepted and you won't be going to prison.

I would think it’s a certainty it would affect your credit rating. I saw the movement online a few days back and it’s been gathering pace.

Personally not something I’d do as want to keep my finances in the black. The thing is I can totally understand why people are leaning towards it.

As an act of civil disobedience I’m not sure how effective it is but I suppose the threat of it seems appealing. Can’t see it being another poll tax moment.

With all the strikes and cost of living stuff at the moment I fear a bleak winter in this country.
I have a feeling such groups won't need people to sign up who can actually afford to pay to support their cause. There will ,imo, be enough people the actually can't pay to swell their numbers into a substantial vocal collective that will have a heavy air of desperation to their message and actions.

Last edited:
Aren't most direct debit payments an estimate based on previous bills, which may help some people budget monthly for quarterly bills? But in effect can be over estimates and also create cash flow for the recipients as paid in advance until the bill is due. I wonder if the idea was cancel on 1 October and keep the cash until the quarterly bill comes in end of Dec / beginning of Jan? Also think a small discount is offered by paying by dd.

Maybe this isn't the case for smart meters, perhaps with costs and profits as they are, we can legislate energy companies must bill all meter types monthly, creating some new jobs in the process?

In terms of credit rating, if recorded by the company each month delay is recorded, so 1, 2 etc. If memory serves a default can be recorded as a rating of 8, then next step is legal so ccj, bailiff etc. I think even in the case if default energy companies are not allowed to cease supply unless another supplier takes over, which is when the prepay meters get installed.

Last edited:
Back