• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Trouble with the unions is its really hard to find out what they're asking for and what's being offered, both sides bicker and make out the others are at fault. As well as pay it seems the beef is always about removal of safety measures which you can read as automation. I don't blame them for striking, automation may be inevitable but if your job is at risk you've got to try something. I do think the govt should invest more in retraining people into some of the newer industries. If they hadn't privatised everything they might be able to move people around more easily to other areas of the public sector.

Fair play to them . Think we are going to see far more strikes from various industries in coming months. Speaking from my own experiences at present . The company I work for are trying to take an axe to our terms and conditions as well as redundancies. Also an insulting pay offer. I know of a few people who are having similar in their work places.

The British Gas fire and rehire early in the year has seemed to embolden a lot of company’s to try and walk all over workers terms and conditions.

If you didn't hear Martin Lewis on the radio this morning about the looming disaster for consumers in the autumn, it's worth a listen.
I haven't seen it circulating as an extract anywhere yet but it's around 1h54m here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0019kjm
(you may need to sign-in to iPlayer/BBC Sounds though).

He really brings over the desperation of the situation of the huge energy bills that are going to hit in the autumn and that the government are fiddling while Rome burns for want of someone who will actually do something about it. As he says - Johnson/Sunak/Truss - just get in a bloody room together and sort something out.

If you have the stomach to list to the 8.10am spot with Dim Dorries, you'll hear her say that only some people will be hit with the high bills. Which is OK then.

Lewis has regularly said that what he finds frustrating when conversing with department ministers on serious issues is how much time he wastes on trying to explain simple concepts and briefing subject understanding to those who really should be on top of their remit.
It's almost as if politicians should be more carefully selected based on their abilities to govern.

So Centrica / British Gas started the ball rolling with the bonfire of works rights with their fire and rehire policy. Today they post a 6 monthly profit of 1.4 Billion.

Disgusting company.

I was always to the right and believed in hard work but the way things have gone in the workforce has swung far to much.

If you didn't hear Martin Lewis on the radio this morning about the looming disaster for consumers in the autumn, it's worth a listen.
I haven't seen it circulating as an extract anywhere yet but it's around 1h54m here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0019kjm
(you may need to sign-in to iPlayer/BBC Sounds though).

He really brings over the desperation of the situation of the huge energy bills that are going to hit in the autumn and that the government are fiddling while Rome burns for want of someone who will actually do something about it. As he says - Johnson/Sunak/Truss - just get in a bloody room together and sort something out.

If you have the stomach to list to the 8.10am spot with Dim Dorries, you'll hear her say that only some people will be hit with the high bills. Which is OK then.

Heard on the radio that they’ve estimated the energy price increase will take around £35bn out of household finances.

Much / some of that will have been discretionary spend, so there will be a lot of businesses missing out on custom as their customers will now have to put that money to essentials.

Recession here we come.

Heard on the radio that they’ve estimated the energy price increase will take around £35bn out of household finances.

Much / some of that will have been discretionary spend, so there will be a lot of businesses missing out on custom as their customers will now have to put that money to essentials.

Recession here we come.

with rampant supply led inflation… an absolutely nightmare scenario

Ok how about this:

Let inflation rip..(ish not hyper inflation)

allow wage increases in line with it, devalue the pound.

borrow more - but invest this not in tax cuts, but on fixing the supply issues by creating and enhancing domestic industries to curtail these supply issues and remake a new powerful industrial base - like Germany have.

the devaluation of the pound will also mean we are more competitive.

inflation is bad, but inflation + recession is fûcking catastrophic.

with my obviously very well thought out plan - with absolutely no flaws at least we get growth and become more self reliant.

ok let it rip… on my simpleton views

Last edited:
with rampant supply led inflation… an absolutely nightmare scenario
It very feels like one that won't "self correct" in that way capitalism usually does.

The upper echelons of capitalism have played a blinder since the 80s - skimming off all the wealth and all the power, whilst still making the mid range players believe they have a sustainable stake.

Market forces will continue - but the markets have will have a lot less options, so that price taker line of equilibrium is gonna move away from the consumer and to the "essential services" companies (companies!!! For ESSENTIAL services.Wtaf.)

It very feels like one that won't "self correct" in that way capitalism usually does.

The upper echelons of capitalism have played a blinder since the 80s - skimming off all the wealth and all the power, whilst still making the mid range players believe they have a sustainable stake.

Market forces will continue - but the markets have will have a lot less options, so that price taker line of equilibrium is gonna move away from the consumer and to the "essential services" companies (companies!!! For ESSENTIAL services.Wtaf.)

I’m with you. I don’t think people realise how bad supply led inflation coupled with a recession would be.

I’m with you. I don’t think people realise how bad supply led inflation coupled with a recession would be.

Unbelievably, ‘warm banks’ are now beginning to be mentioned - as in places funded by the community where people who can’t afford to hear their homes can go to escape the cold in winter for a few hours.

In Britain. In the 21st Century.

Recession here we come.

This is going to be some crisis which will need a huge furlough style bail out in my eyes, the winter has to prospect to be absolutely disastrous

Back