• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

He goes on to explain how he deems it essential that his young charges can control the ball with any part of their foot — as well as other parts of their body. This was part of the rationale behind some of the legendary routines his sons went through when they were growing up. One was juggling the ball for three laps of the pitch — one with the left foot, one with the right, then one with both. If they dropped the ball at any point, they had to start again from the first lap. At one point the fierceness of Woong-jung’s instructions raised concerns among one passer-by.

The famous exercise where Son had to keep the ball up in the air for hours on end was another staple related to this principle of using all parts of the body, and left a lasting impression on the now-Spurs forward.

“He gave us four hours of keepy-uppies,” Son said in 2019. “Both of us. After about three hours, I was seeing three balls. The floor was red (because of his bloodshot eyes). I was so tired. And he was so angry. I think this was the best story and we still talk about it when we are all together. Four hours keeping the ball up and you don’t drop it. That’s difficult, no?”

Things don’t appear quite as extreme when The Athletic visits, but the session starts with the 12-year-olds kicking the ball into the air and controlling it. On repeat. For about 15 minutes.

Again, other fundamentals for Woong-jung include his charges not playing as part of a team or even shooting at goal until they’re around 15 years old — as was the case with Son.

“You don’t put your kids who can barely walk into a track and field tournament,” he says by way of explanation. “And it’s the same thing. Because when you’re in a match, first of all you need to be able to control the opponent. If you can’t handle the ball alone, let alone handling the ball with an opponent, what’s the point in sending them to a match?

“The second reason is that for schools, parents and some clubs that have kids playing matches at an early age, it’s not about developing them as players, they care more about winning matches and local competitions — rather than focusing on developing the basic fundamentals.”

For some of the youngsters at the academy, the idea of playing for a team is a genuinely alien concept.

On the shooting ban, Woong-jung says: “Before the age of 15, we don’t tell kids to shoot the ball. Why is that? It will damage their ligaments and joints. Because they’re not yet fully matured yet. It was the same with Heung-min.

“And that’s also why I was against my children participating in club matches at that age, and it’s the same philosophy with the current group.”

Son Heung-min has invested around £11million into his family’s academy project

Woong-jung does not want the mistakes that contributed to the early end of his own playing career repeated.

To succeed at the academy, you need to completely buy into these methods — not to mention be willing to relocate your family to Chuncheon, as there is no on-site accommodation. There are other non-negotiables too.

“This isn’t a playground, and I’m very strict about it,” Woong-jung says. “If you’re going to be here and don’t have a good athletic form and look lazy on the field and around the place, that’s a huge no for me. The other one is attitude in general. Be humble, be respectful to who you’re teaching and who you’re being taught by.

“If those two elements are not there, I will expel them from the academy.”

Woong-jung paints a pretty vivid picture of how he operates, but how do those who have been coached by him feel about it?

Older son Heung-yun played in the German lower leagues with Hamburg side SV Halstenbek-Rellingen but retired young.

“He just had no talent,” is his dad’s honest typically forthright assessment.

Heung-yun says: “When I was being coached by my father, it was a very scary and very difficult atmosphere because he was such a strict coach. But when I coach, I wonder if the students now are able to keep up with it. So I put in a balance of being strict sometimes and sometimes gentle.

“My father could be like that too, but he put a lot of emphasis on focus and how to develop that focus to a high level. The juggling exercise for example was a way to maintain that focus.”

The current crop of youngsters speak highly of Woong-jung, but are clearly pretty scared of him. “Maybe it’s different for other coaches but when I come through the gates, the eyes — they all change,” he says. “They all know. It’s like a drill sergeant has come in. They snap into position, ready to go. I’m still quite tough on them.

“Sometimes my sons were like, ‘You’re like the stepfather, or father-in-law, you’re that tough’. I’m proud of that image.”

Woong-jung and Heung-yun both say, though, that the old fella has softened a little with age.

We get some evidence of this at the end of the session, when he gives the boys warm hugs.

Behind the main training pitches, there is a steep set of stairs — specially installed for the youngsters to run up and down. Conte’s notorious fitness coach Gian Petro Ventrone would surely be impressed.

Over on the other side, behind the 11-a-side pitch, there are big covers to protect the surface from heavy rain and cold in the winter.

While the young players start the session by kicking the ball high up in the air and controlling it, Woong-jung tells a coach one of them should be sent home because of his lack of focus.

The way he shuttles around different areas of the pitch is reminiscent of Conte the previous day, during Spurs’ open training session in Seoul.

Antonio Conte’s intensity reminds Son and his brother of their father (Photo: Getty)

As the youngsters go through their routines, GPS trackers pick up their every move — part of which is geared towards injury prevention and ensuring they are not overburdened. The sessions last up to two hours with short breaks to mimic the length of a match and are intense, and so this is a valid concern.

This feels like another comparison with Conte after Tottenham’s brutal session the previous day.

“I highly respect Coach Conte, and the key reason is his passion,” Woong-jung says. “You can see the way he acts and coaches the players. Some people, when they saw the training and how he changed the training mentality at Tottenham, thought, ‘Isn’t that a bit too much? Isn’t that a bit too extreme?’. But then it was because of that passion that they were able to make it into the Champions League.”

Heung-yun adds: “He likes Conte as a coach and the way Conte wants the players to focus and have the right mentality and physicality for training. It reminds him of training with our father.”

Woong-jung laughs off any comparisons with Conte — and the idea that he would be able to beat the former Juventus and Italy midfielder in a race.

But everything he does during the session is at a brisk pace. “How dare you walk?” he says to one of the players.

In general, the parents of these children — many of whom are at the session — don’t seem to mind Woong-jung’s forthrightness. They say that they see his more approachable manner with the players at the end of the session, so know that it’s coming from a good place. He is also able to rein it in when needs be — holding back from one player who appears on the verge of tears.

The point is made as well that cultural differences may make his behaviour feel a little less extreme to a Korean audience. Even if he appears to one observer with Western points of reference “like a footballing Gordon Ramsay”.

Heung-yun meanwhile acts more as the good cop of the pair, encouraging the players and at one point impressing them with a rabona pass.

Woong-jung may be the director of the academy, a role normally associated with sitting behind a desk, but he seems to do more running than most of the players.

After urging the players to be quicker with their rondos, the group is split into two. Woong-jung plays as a centre-back for one side, bossing the game from there and at one point putting up an imaginary flag to disallow a goal after a youngster had snuck in behind him to score. It looked borderline offside at best. “His team never loses,” says one of his colleagues, laughing.

Woong-jung also has no compunction about using skills to dribble his way past the opposition players. There’s a hint of the Competitive Dad character from the 1990s sketch comedy series The Fast Show or, for older readers, the late Brian Glover as the PE teacher in 1969 movie Kes.

Woong-jung takes part in a training session with the academy pupils (Photo: Getty)

(continued...)

In accordance with his instructions, there is no shooting other than close-range finishes.

Once the players turn 15 they will start in intensive shooting drills, as Son did, with a focus on ensuring they become completely two-footed. When he was 18, Son focused on shooting practice, shooting 500 times with his left and right foot, respectively. He would pick certain points in the goal to aim at, which became known as “Son Heung-min zones.”

“I’m not particularly proud of it (Son’s two-footedness), it’s really just a demonstration of what I’m teaching,” Woong-jung says. “What I’d like to emphasise is that you should be free to do whatever you want with the ball if you’re a good footballer.”

Son himself visited the academy last month, much to the boys’ delight. And it recently hosted a tournament for young players from different east Asian countries, as well as Colombia.

The day of The Athletic’s visit is the last before the summer holidays, and it feels as though Woong-jung wants to make the most of the short remaining time available. Having said he wants to “push the players to the limit — mentally and physically, and with the ball”, he leaves them in no uncertain terms about what he wants.

“Why are you in the wrong position?” he asks one; “Is this time to be standing?” he asks another.

Some of the coaches are asked similarly searching questions. It definitely has the feel of a military exercise.

And in another echo of Spurs’ training session on Monday, one exhausted player lies collapsed behind the goal.

However one feels about Woong-jung’s methods, there is no denying that they worked extremely well with Son — both as a player and as a person.

“I’m a lot less strict with my sons now,” Woong-jung says. “From the age of about 15 I’ve been a lot more flexible, more supportive. They’re adults and they make their own decisions — as long as they’re the relatively right decisions. I tend to be in the distance. I’m in the background. That’s my coaching style and relationship with my sons now.”

Based on his father’s advice, Son does not intend to get married until after his playing career is over. Woong-jung says this kind of discipline is a big reason why his son has been so successful: “There are seductive elements. You need to have a mind of steel to cut out those unimportant and distracting elements in order to succeed.”

Woong-jung still works with Son on specific aspects of the game, encouraging him to practise certain things if he feels they need improving. But much of his role nowadays is psychological, ensuring Son never gets either complacent or too big for his boots. “Make sure you stay humble and don’t get drunk off the power and fame,” Woong-jung tells him. He subscribes to a widespread belief in Korea that 70 per cent of one’s life is luck, with only 30 per cent about talent.

Son won the Premier League Golden Boot in 2021-22 (Photo: Getty)

This determination to keep Son humble is perhaps part of the reason he said last month that he doesn’t consider him to be world-class.

And Woong-jung doubles down on this position now, shaking his head vigorously when the question is put to him.

“I maintain that stance,” he says. “Personally, I hope and pray on an individual level after every training session and match that Son improves his skills by 10 per cent.

“What I define as world-class is very narrow. If you’re going to label someone as world-class, it shouldn’t be used lightly. You can’t just be subbed off, or used for certain domestic leagues or cups. You should be used in every match, and people should admit you should be used for every match. That’s how I see the definition of world-class.”

Woong-jung says Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo can be put in that category; and on whether Son can get there says, “he puts in a lot of effort, so I always hope so”.

Having travelled to Seoul for Tottenham’s pre-season game on Wednesday against a Team K League all-star squad, Woong-jung is not sticking around for the friendly against Sevilla tomorrow (Saturday). He is flying back to the UK today to get their London house ready ahead of the new season and think about what Son needs to work on from Wednesday’s game, in which he scored twice during Spurs’ 6-3 win.

Son’s journey from Chuncheon to the Champions League may have transformed him into a global superstar, but Woong-jung doesn’t think that much has changed at all: “At the very beginning when I was coaching Heung-min, he was very happy. And during the hard times, he was still very happy. Right now, he’s happy playing football and will be in the future.”

After a pause, Woong-jung says, as if speaking to his son: “I think that when I first saw you as a kid, I saw you with just a football; and now when I see you as a professional player, I see you with just a football.”

I think we should start a Spurs Football Academy in Korea and put Woong-Jung in charge.

“If you’re going to be here and don’t have a good athletic form and look lazy on the field and around the place, that’s a huge no for me. The other one is attitude in general. Be humble, be respectful to who you’re teaching and who you’re being taught by. If those two elements are not there, I will expel them from the academy.”

“There are seductive elements. You need to have a mind of steel to cut out those unimportant and distracting elements in order to succeed.”

“Make sure you stay humble and don’t get drunk off the power and fame,”

After a pause, Woong-jung says, as if speaking to his son: “I think that when I first saw you as a kid, I saw you with just a football; and now when I see you as a professional player, I see you with just a football.”
:D
Actually, that quote concerns me. I mean, he's Son's actual dad. Does that mean that he didn't even look at Son until he could kick a ball, or that he took a football (presumably just a little one) to the hospital where Mrs Son was giving birth?

Conte and Tuchels , Froch /Groves handshake moment. Love it ! Ha ha
Fraser Forster standing there like a useless bouncer / gentle giant while others piled in.

Shocking again, no doubt someone else will get ripped apart for this performance and the star child will get defended.
He will get the appropriate criticism from some for his poor game, and inappropriate praise from others. For me when he gets pelters from certain posters when he plays well that it gets to be a bit... silly.

Back