• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Travel to the UK.

Trixster

Peter Taylor
Any immigration buffs here?

The ball'n'chain is non-EU, Ukrainian/Russian by proxy but that's a whole other story, and prior to Brexit she could just wander in with me under the "Family member of an EU citizen" rules.
(British citizen myself.)

But now after Brexit, I have no idea on her rights if any.
I've read through the Gov site and it isn't making much sense, I think we may need to apply for some settlement visa but that by its wording alone boggles the mind seeing as it is a two week trip to see my family.

Any ideas?

Yea, I've already mailed the embassy here, waiting on their reply. But thought I would try the smorgasbord of knowledge that resides in the forum.

Ended up applying for the family permit, but wording wise it doesn't make a ton of sense to me because all the links to apply plop out to the EU settlement scheme family permit - we just want to visit for a couple of weeks and then come back home to Cz...
upload_2022-7-20_15-31-34.png

Half tempted to try and board the various planes and take the chances with border control in Inverness.
Nothing is ever simple with the UK and immigration :( if I have proof that it is just a flying visit and have tickets booked back for us all then what is the problem, given it's a spouse involved.

Ended up applying for the family permit, but wording wise it doesn't make a ton of sense to me because all the links to apply plop out to the EU settlement scheme family permit - we just want to visit for a couple of weeks and then come back home to Cz...
View attachment 14314

Half tempted to try and board the various planes and take the chances with border control in Inverness.
Nothing is ever simple with the UK and immigration :( if I have proof that it is just a flying visit and have tickets booked back for us all then what is the problem, given it's a spouse involved.

You never said it was Inverness you were going to, my advice, don't go.

Fortrose thankfully, the airport and roads away from is the closest I'll get to Inverness ;)
(Shame they moved from Dunoon)

Not familiar with Fortrose, but for me around Inverness is a lovely bit of the world, Inverness is a bit of a dump though.
Dunoon is desolate now, a real shame whats happened to it since the bases pulled out.

Not familiar with Fortrose, but for me around Inverness is a lovely bit of the world, Inverness is a bit of a dump though.
Dunoon is desolate now, a real shame whats happened to it since the bases pulled out.

Well, Inv does still have the Whisky Shop so its not a total loss :)
Fortrose is nice and quiet, good place to relax. And yeah, real shame for Dunoon these days :(

If you're just coming for a quick holiday, it shouldn't be that tricky

I guess the war has made it awkward because Google keeps giving me advice if I want to move a Ukrainian over here to live

I would read this
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/immigration/bringing-family-members-from-ukraine-to-the-uk/

and this popped up, no idea if legit or whatever
https://prosto-visa.com.ua/en/content/british-visa-uk-ukrainian-citizens

The first one feels like I would be cheating the system, or at least playing the benefits of it. While she has a Ukrainian passport, she isn't fleeing the situation because she has been living in the Czech Republic for the last 16 years.

The first one feels like I would be cheating the system, or at least playing the benefits of it. While she has a Ukrainian passport, she isn't fleeing the situation because she has been living in the Czech Republic for the last 16 years.
Just put her occupation down as 'Psychic'.

Not travelling to the uk actually travelling in the UK and need some advice.

My misses and Daughter are supposed to be going to watch a show at the Apollo London on Saturday for my daughters 13th birthday and have only just realised there is a railway strike happening on the same day which totally fudges up the travelling. We are from south Kent so the train was the easiest and quickest route. Other than driving right into London has anyone got any other ideas how they could get there? Do the tubes still run when there is a strike? They are happy to park and get a tube but the car will be left for a few hours and i have no idea the easiest route and best place to park and ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My misses and Daughter are supposed to be going to watch a show at the Apollo London on Saturday for my daughters 13th birthday and have only just realised there is a railway strike happening on the same day which totally fudges up the travelling. We are from south Kent so the train was the easiest and quickest route. Other than driving right into London has anyone got any other ideas how they could get there? Do the tubes still run when there is a strike? They are happy to park and get a tube but the car will be left for a few hours and i have no idea the easiest route and best place to park and ride. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tubes are running it seems

Strike action taking place on Saturday 13 August by train drivers who are part of the ASLEF union - No service expected on the entire London Overground network - Majority of TfL services will run as normal, but customers should check before they travel
On Saturday 13 August, strike action by ASLEF union members working for nine train operators across the country will significantly disrupt some routes. This includes the London Overground network, where there will be no service due to strike action from members of the ASLEF union who work for Arriva Rail London.

There will also be no Night Overground services on the evening of 13 August. A full Night Tube service will operate on the Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines. Customers who use London Overground services should use alternative routes to complete their journeys. Full information is available at tfl.gov.uk/strikes.

There are planned weekend closures on the entire Hammersmith & City line and no service between Tower Hill and Upminster on the District line. On Saturday 13 August there will be no service between Prince Regent and Beckton on the DLR for engineering works. All other TfL modes of transport will run as normal but are expected to be much busier than normal as customers seek alternative routes.

Customers travelling on the morning of Sunday 14 August are advised a good service is expected on the London Overground by midday. If travelling before midday, customers are advised to plan ahead, check before they travel, and leave more time for their journeys.

Andy Lord, TfL's Chief Operating Officer, said: "Planned strike action on the London Overground this weekend will mean disruption for our customers. With no service expected on the entire London Overground network and reduced services on a number of other national rail routes, I advise all customers to check before they travel and use alternative routes to complete their journeys."

Further strikes by the RMT are also planned for Friday 19 August on London Underground and London Overground services. In addition, national rail strikes on Thursday 18 and Saturday 20 August will affect the rail network, including London Overground, London Underground and Elizabeth line services. Strike action by Unite will also affect some bus services on Friday 19 and Saturday 20 August. Further travel advice and potential impact to TfL services will be provided nearer to the time.

For the latest information on how TfL services are operating, customers should use TfL's real-time travel tools, including status updates, Journey Planner at tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/ and TfL Go. People may find it quicker or easier to walk or cycle some journeys. The TfL website has information on cycling in London including Santander Cycle Hire, cycleway routes and walking options especially for journeys in Zone 1. Rental e-scooters are available for hire in a number of London boroughs. Information on where they are available and how to hire can be found on the TfL website.

Last edited:

You could drop them at Gatwick for the national express to Victoria. It’s an interesting stroll from Victoria - round the palace and through the park etc over to theatre lane. but gatwick do charge for set downs now- might be a free one for the trains and coaches but I do not know.

Southern Rail aren't on strike. There will be trains from Ashford to Victoria that run along the coast and via Gatwick but it is a 2hr plus journey. You could cut some of that out if you drove to Hastings or Eastbourne.

Use justpark.

Drive in as far as you can without traffic, park on a driveway and taxi (or Uber Lux for comfort) the rest of the way in.

Use justpark.

Drive in as far as you can without traffic, park on a driveway and taxi (or Uber Lux for comfort) the rest of the way in.
I always use Your Parking Space for airports, about a fiver a day, and you can usually find one where they drop you at the airport for a tenner. Or uber as you say.

Back