• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lucas Moura

I took the strange approach because I'm not really seeing a bunch of threads arguing to upgrade Sanchez, Rodon or even Gollini (is Forster even an upgrade there? or just HG), and while you feel that's less of a worry, I'm not sure I want to see 10 games of Rodon/Sanchez.

I totally get some people don't rate Lucas and I haven't tried to argue that or change anyone's mind.

Your first point is the interesting piece because I don't think if Kulu gets injured next season we play Lucas for 10+ games. I think we will strengthen the midfield (Eriksen maybe?) and if we get an injury to Son/Kulu, we will revert to Conte's most used formation of 3-5-2 and just play 2 up front (hence why again, I just don't see Lucas as priority). No issue conceptually with selling both to get a versatile forward that could play across the line, I do think we are already short numerically, so not sure it is the best result.
I think signing Eriksen makes sense, for the 352 option, or he could equally play off the left if Sonny isn't there. I'd also be happy for him to take up one of the double pivot spots in games we are likely to control.

Maybe we can be ok numerically with some flexible players. Eriksen Perisic Kulu and one other to add to Sonny and Kane. Sess could play in Sonny's place if we are stretched.

Quality wise, the difference this season is midweeks could be tougher with CL ties and it then depends on how Conte views that. Will the league still be priority? ....so numerically (especially with 5 subs as well) like you say we need to get it right.

Fwiw I think Lucas will be staying anyway

No, because we are not talking about last season, we are talking about next. Bentancur & Kulu replaced first team players, replacing Moura isn't replacing a first team player (which is actually the point I've been making)

If you are worried about long term injury cover, Kane & Son are a much bigger problem.
Moura was a first team player before Kulu came

he would be quickly with an injury to any of the front 3 unless we buy better players

thats the issue

everywhere else in the squad we have depth and players that have shown they can perform under conte without a BIG drop in key performance except in attack

I think signing Eriksen makes sense, for the 352 option, or he could equally play off the left if Sonny isn't there. I'd also be happy for him to take up one of the double pivot spots in games we are likely to control.

Maybe we can be ok numerically with some flexible players. Eriksen Perisic Kulu and one other to add to Sonny and Kane. Sess could play in Sonny's place if we are stretched.

Quality wise, the difference this season is midweeks could be tougher with CL ties and it then depends on how Conte views that. Will the league still be priority? ....so numerically (especially with 5 subs as well) like you say we need to get it right.

Fwiw I think Lucas will be staying anyway
He is 100% staying
No one else has expressed they want him and he is a good guy to have around as he never gets injured
But… he needs to be 3rd choice attacking sub next season not first

Not a good fit for what we are trying to achieve

We need players with brains that can combine

Or outrageous skill

He works hard but should be upgraded

How much is Moura worth in today's market? He'll be 30 in August, no longer features for the Brazil national team, and has 2 years left on his contract. £15M? £20M?

We'd be taking a big risk on a replacement at that sort of price, but add a bit more and suddenly things are looking up. So I wouldn't be upset if he was sold.

On the other hand, he's very different to our other options -- a quick jinky dribbler who can run at central defenders and create a bit of chaos. Not what we need as our Plan A, but a good option to bring off the bench if we need a goal. Also seems a good guy in terms of team spirit.

Unless we really need the money for a true backup striker, or at least a 4th choice forward (to rotate with Son, Kane and Kulu), we should keep Moura. He's the right level for a 5th choice forward, IMHO.

How much is Moura worth in today's market? He'll be 30 in August, no longer features for the Brazil national team, and has 2 years left on his contract. £15M? £20M?

We'd be taking a big risk on a replacement at that sort of price, but add a bit more and suddenly things are looking up. So I wouldn't be upset if he was sold.

On the other hand, he's very different to our other options -- a quick jinky dribbler who can run at central defenders and create a bit of chaos. Not what we need as our Plan A, but a good option to bring off the bench if we need a goal. Also seems a good guy in terms of team spirit.

Unless we really need the money for a true backup striker, or at least a 4th choice forward (to rotate with Son, Kane and Kulu), we should keep Moura. He's the right level for a 5th choice forward, IMHO.

I think we would accept anything around 12 million if it allowed another player to come to the club, we seem to be more open to accept lesser fees to open up space.

He would be worth £10/£12m
And he ain’t 5th choice until we buy someone
He really (IMO) needs to be 6th choice as we have 3 roles in attack

I don’t get the Moura criticism. I genuinely like him and he runs at the opposition which scares the life out of defenders and he is often fouled, and lets face it, without him we would never have got to a Champs league final (which he should have started).

Me neither. We all know he’s not consistent enough to be first choice, but he doesn’t seem to mind being a bit part player and loves a goal in a big game. It would be an issue if he was starting more often than not but he doesn’t so it’s not.

Funny how the outrage mounts when a player tries to leave us for bigger things ( a la Kane last year) but how quickly supporters start baying for people to be shipped out once the club has potentially outgrown them.

Or you just accept it as football. Players aren't your girlfriend dumping you for another guy. They are just trying to have as best a career as they can. On the other hand some players will not be at the standard the clubs want to achieve so you try to upgrade them. If you can, wish them all the best and move on. If not you hope they can improve but accept their limitations.

Funny how the outrage mounts when a player tries to leave us for bigger things ( a la Kane last year) but how quickly supporters start baying for people to be shipped out once the club has potentially outgrown them.

I have no issue with players wanting to move on, I realise there are bigger clubs out there than Spurs. Didn’t hold it against Carrick, Keane, Walker or Eriksen. I just don’t like it when players down tools like Berbatov, Modric and like Kane tried to last summer. Give it your all and be professional, that’s I all I can ask for. If a club comes in and meets our valuation then we should not stand in anyone’s way if they want to move on, but City’s offer last summer was derisory considering what they paid for Grealish.

I have no issue with players wanting to move on, I realise there are bigger clubs out there than Spurs. Didn’t hold it against Carrick, Keane, Walker or Eriksen. I just don’t like it when players down tools like Berbatov, Modric and like Kane tried to last summer. Give it your all and be professional, that’s I all I can ask for. If a club comes in and meets our valuation then we should not stand in anyone’s way if they want to move on, but City’s offer last summer was derisory considering what they paid for Grealish.
The way I remember it Keane agitated for his move and had a lot more standing in the dressing room at the time so should be in the second group, I loved him here but wish we'd not bought him back after that.

The way I remember it Keane agitated for his move and had a lot more standing in the dressing room at the time so should be in the second group, I loved him here but wish we'd not bought him back after that.

Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but he turned up to training and the move went through relatively quickly. He didn’t go mouthing off to the press or threaten to go on strike. Think he got harshly treated when our fans booed him. Walker even got a few boos too IIRC which I didn’t understand.

Back