• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Are there any positive green policies?

Amend laws to make onshore wind more viable, more govt investment in giga factories, tax breaks for manufacturing of renewable energy equipment such as turbines etc. Greater subsidies for efficient energy usage in homes, bring back law to make building of houses carbon neutral, better insulation standards in general across new builds like passivehaus.

Plenty more can be done to increase renewable energy usage as well, I think it's important to become more self sufficient in this area.

Amend laws to make onshore wind more viable, more govt investment in giga factories, tax breaks for manufacturing of renewable energy equipment such as turbines etc. Greater subsidies for efficient energy usage in homes, bring back law to make building of houses carbon neutral, better insulation standards in general across new builds like passivehaus.

Plenty more can be done to increase renewable energy usage as well, I think it's important to become more self sufficient in this area.

All nice ideas, but are any of them policies?

We really need to do something, i'm not convinced telling people not to heat their home, or cool it, not to travel, not to drive, not to eat meat, ie focusing in negative messages is going to work.
Those kinds of messages soon turn the public off.

We really need to do something, i'm not convinced telling people not to heat their home, or cool it, not to travel, not to drive, not to eat meat, ie focusing in negative messages is going to work.
Sugar coating it really doesn't work either and never has. The focus is and has always been wrong. Your list above pushes the responsibility for change mostly back on the public and the fact you made this list means the fossil fuel PR firms have done their jobs superbly. At this point, there is little you or I can do to affect things a whole lot bar one thing. If the public does not exert pressure on their representatives to enact change then they will do nothing, and consequently, businesses will do nothing. And then we'll all die.

I've been saying for a long while that if the answer to global warming is a hair shirt, then the fight is already lost.

People will need technogy to replace what they have like for like (or preferably better) before they make those changes in large enough numbers.

I've been saying for a long while that if the answer to global warming is a hair shirt, then the fight is already lost.

People will need technogy to replace what they have like for like (or preferably better) before they make those changes in large enough numbers.
LED light bulbs are a good example. Work better, big cost savings and green. The transition from incadescent to them has been seemless.

Though the crap technology before it (halogen) was also an example of why forcing the wrong solution won't work

So it seems to be playing out that Sunak and Mordaunt are the two favourites, but suspicion is Sunak will lend votes to Truss because he'd find her much easier to beat in a final two run off.

Sugar coating it really doesn't work either and never has. The focus is and has always been wrong. Your list above pushes the responsibility for change mostly back on the public and the fact you made this list means the fossil fuel PR firms have done their jobs superbly. At this point, there is little you or I can do to affect things a whole lot bar one thing. If the public does not exert pressure on their representatives to enact change then they will do nothing, and consequently, businesses will do nothing. And then we'll all die.

I didn't make the list, that is the list.
Climate change is like every other responsibility the human race has ever had, from better health care, infrastructure, education or whatever else, we say we want it, then we see what it will cost, either financially or in our lifestyle or freedoms and suddenly it doesn't become so urgent.

I didn't make the list, that is the list.
Climate change is like every other responsibility the human race has ever had, from better health care, infrastructure, education or whatever else, we say we want it, then we see what it will cost, either financially or in our lifestyle or freedoms and suddenly it doesn't become so urgent.
Its the fossil fuel PR list to make you think you can do something. It is what theuir politians tell you but it is not THE list, whatever that is. Don't get me wrong, these are all good things that are right to do and will help in a very small way but ultimately they won't amount to a whole lot. We need to think bigger at this point.

And climate change in nothing remotely like healthcare, and infrastructure, etc It is the whole that everything else exists in. You go all in on it or all those other things go up in smoke too.

Back