• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Clement Lenglet

It's funny they dug their heels in about that, usually the big clubs carry some power in Spain. You would have thought they would have had a rethink (being the cause was genuine)

Athletico have a big issue at the moment. Need to create space on the wage bill.

Tebas has been battling the big clubs since he became head of la liga. He was the one that brought in a more fair distribution of tv revenue for spanish clubs.

As for covid i might not agree but get his thinking. Covid caused clubs to lose money, so they need to cut their spending until they recover.

Also he brought in cvc that bought 10% of the clubs tv rights for the next 50 years. Madrid and barca opted out (although barca are doing their own deal now).

Then next season we try and buy bastoni, gvardiol, pau torres... Ndicka will be out of contract.

Lenglets basic salary is the same as kanes, so unless barca are willing to pay a chunk of his wages or he'll take a paycut it's unlikely we'd try to buy anyway.
But surely if he becomes a success we won’t need the other defenders mentioned as they will then become the big risk.

I don't think it's much much better?

Lenglet is nothing but potential....we are signing him off of two poor seasons at Barca, so relying on Conte to breath life back into him.

He's left footed, that helps but it's quite feasible to think if Rodon was was employed (trusted) as the CCB and LCB back up he could do just as well. (He's never done much wrong when he's played). I'm assuming Rodon will be going.

I think another CH will arrive. I hope it's Bremer, looks literally a solid option.

Defensively, maybe not much better, time will tell. Perhaps even worse than our existing backup options, I don't know.

On the ball, day and night imo. Rodon to me is well capable on the ball, but nothing special. Being right footed as well, I think that's a disadvantage when playing LCB.

Lenglet is a quality ball playing centre back, and left footed.

In my opinion, to really make a Conte system work you can't really have weak links. For me all our current backup options would BE weak links on the ball at LCB.

It would be "fine", we'd get away with it quite often. But to really click into gear that's not going to work.

If Lenglet ends up being a liability defensively then signing him won't help. I don't think that's likely.

We agree on one more.

Just to add point more point.

It seems rather clear that we have the money to spend fairly big on a centre back if we really want one that's realistic to sign.

It seems at least somewhat likely that we'll look to sign another centre back in addition to Lenglet.

So why sign Lenglet? If we could just sign that other centre back. Bremer or whoever. Someone more highly rated, less error prone. Permanent deal, younger and all.

Or why sign Lenglet and another? If we already have in our squad or from the other new signing players that could do a job covering for Davies.

I think it's because we really want, and need, another proper ball playing left footed LCB. Because not having one significantly impedes our ability to play our game if Davies is missing.

Lenglet is a quality ball playing centre back, and left footed.
That's my point. He is, but he hasn't been.

Obviously we haven't watched him intensely to know really what's going on. A loan mitigates that risk (of wasting money) and one thing we do know is there's a fair chance Conte can turn him round.

It's like another club buying Sanchez off us, their fans would probably be excited, but the all knowing Spurs fans would tell them 'look, honestly he ain't that great'.

It seems rather clear that we have the money to spend fairly big on a centre back if we really want one that's realistic to sign.

It seems at least somewhat likely that we'll look to sign another centre back in addition to Lenglet.

So why sign Lenglet? If we could just sign that other centre back. Bremer or whoever. Someone more highly rated, less error prone. Permanent deal, younger and all.

Or why sign Lenglet and another? If we already have in our squad or from the other new signing players that could do a job covering for Davies.

I think it's because we really want, and need, another proper ball playing left footed LCB. Because not having one significantly impedes our ability to play our game if Davies is missing.

...and there is a world cup breaking up this season whih Romero, Davies, maybe Dier plus likely any news CB will be at.

Lenglet isnt in the France squad at the moment and they have a lot of depth there

Yes, all good points. I also think we want to sign another CB, in addition to Lenglet. A few options: 1) we could buy an upcoming CB with Lenglet filling in the position for this season - although it appears that this is not how Conte works; 2) we are not sure we can get Bremer, Bastoni or Pau Torres over the line and want to make sure we at least have cover for Davies, or - alternatively - we know we can get one of the above, most likely Bastoni, next summer; 3) Conte could be looking at Davies as a flexible LCB/wing back. That would indicate that Reguilon is leaving (also beneficial for HG-quota), and explain why we are looking for another LCB beyond Lenglet.

Interesting that we cannot quite figure out what the plan is here exactly. Hope Paratici knows. The World Cup in November adds yet another dimension.

There’s not been much noise about Royal leaving, despite us clearly being in the market for another RWB. Maybe Conte has plans to switch him to RCB, in which case we’d have him, Sanchez and Lenglet as CB cover?

I can’t see Davies as a LWB cover. He’s made himself extremely valuable as a LCB and a useful LB if we go 4 at the back again, but LWB is a stretch for him I think, beyond the odd game in a freak injury hit scenario.

Think LWB is Sess and Perisic, then maybe Reggie if we don’t get any offers for him, but even those 3 does seem a bit excessive.

About 20 journos were telling people he had his medical last weekend, sounds like it may get done today then and he's off to Korea tomorrow.

It really is just one big guessing game isn't it.

About 20 journos were telling people he had his medical last weekend, sounds like it may get done today then and he's off to Korea tomorrow.

Yes it is! I think Dan Kilpatrick might be a bit more up to speed on the fact that Lenglet stayed at the training ground overnight though, so it sounds promising.
Just seen it speculated that he might not get his visa in time for the Korean tour - but it shouldn't take more than a couple of working days should it? He may just need to join up a little later. Or travel but not train/play with the squad until the visa comes through.

Yes and no. It makes sense that, with the squad leaving for Korea tomorrow, people expect Lenglet and Spence to be announced today.

That's my point. He is, but he hasn't been.

Obviously we haven't watched him intensely to know really what's going on. A loan mitigates that risk (of wasting money) and one thing we do know is there's a fair chance Conte can turn him round.

It's like another club buying Sanchez off us, their fans would probably be excited, but the all knowing Spurs fans would tell them 'look, honestly he ain't that great'.

Just to be clear I meant quality in the ball playing aspects of the role. Not necessarily quality overall.

I haven't seen anyone doubt that he has real quality on the ball (for a centre back).

It is and it isn't a guessing game.

Were there journalists with high credibility that said he had his medical last weekend?

By my impression it seems like a lot more credible sources are now saying it's at least very close to being done.

Who exactly were saying that he had his medical last weekend? Seems at this point like they shouldn't be seen as particularly high credibility sources.

Just to be clear I meant quality in the ball playing aspects of the role. Not necessarily quality overall.

I haven't seen anyone doubt that he has real quality on the ball (for a centre back).

That is the main reason why I am still on the fence regarding Lenglet, even though Conte likes him. In the second half of last season, our three-man defence was particularly good at defending. In spite of the odd long ball from Dier, and the eagerness to join the attack when possible from Davies and Romero, they did not contribute a whole lot in terms of creativeness. I don't mind that, in fact I would like them to focus on defending primarily. The creativity has to come from the wing backs and from central midfield if possible. The signing of Perisic makes perfect sense in that respect - and is also the most exciting of our four signings so far in my view. The same could be said for Bissouma, although I remain to be convinced of his added value. But for the CBs, whether CCB or LCB, I would like them to be solid first and foremost. Here, in other words, Lenglet has to really prove that he is good enough for a top-4 side in the PL. Bastoni, Bremer, and Pau Torres look safer bets to me.

It is and it isn't a guessing game.

Were there journalists with high credibility that said he had his medical last weekend?

By my impression it seems like a lot more credible sources are now saying it's at least very close to being done.

Who exactly were saying that he had his medical last weekend? Seems at this point like they shouldn't be seen as particularly high credibility sources.

Spanish media mostly, Marca etc, Mirror picked it up from them, credible? no but that wasn't my point.

Agreed, seems it's going to be sorted today, I've changed my stance on this signing, think it will be a decent addition and if Conte wants him in I'm down.

There’s not been much noise about Royal leaving, despite us clearly being in the market for another RWB. Maybe Conte has plans to switch him to RCB, in which case we’d have him, Sanchez and Lenglet as CB cover?

Think him and reg will be sold. We are well over the 17 non hg limit (22). So have to get rid of some. We can do it without selling emerson or reg but not if we bring in any more. Also means gil and sarr will have to be loaned.

That is the main reason why I am still on the fence regarding Lenglet, even though Conte likes him. In the second half of last season, our three-man defence was particularly good at defending. In spite of the odd long ball from Dier, and the eagerness to join the attack when possible from Davies and Romero, they did not contribute a whole lot in terms of creativeness. I don't mind that, in fact I would like them to focus on defending primarily. The creativity has to come from the wing backs and from central midfield if possible. The signing of Perisic makes perfect sense in that respect - and is also the most exciting of our four signings so far in my view. The same could be said for Bissouma, although I remain to be convinced of his added value. But for the CBs, whether CCB or LCB, I would like them to be solid first and foremost. Here, in other words, Lenglet has to really prove that he is good enough for a top-4 side in the PL. Bastoni, Bremer, and Pau Torres look safer bets to me.

Disagree. Think the quality on the ball in buildup, when playing through pressure and joining up with the attack from all of our three first choice centre backs was vital for us.

Back