• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Erm, nope.
He is the Prime Minister. He is not a President.
You get to be Prime Minister of the House of Commons if you can command a majority in parliament. To do so requires the confidence of your party (or at least of numerous MPs).
Having 50 members of Government resign is not an indication of support. It is therefore right that the Conservative party look for a leader and give them the opportunity to command a majority.

Re servicing term. That applies to MPs. Nothing more.

Indeed. He deserves to serve out his full term as MP for Uxbridge (subject to any forthcoming legal action or further conduct scandal). That's all he was elected as.

Whoever the Tory party want to select as their leader to deliver their manifesto is up to them. That's the system here.

Wish the media would start challenging the Tory and BloJo narratives properly.

He didn't get all (many would argue any) of the 'Big Calls' right and he doesn't have a 14 million strong 'personal' mandate.

Leaving this stuff unchallenged is akin to the enablers of Trump's Big Lie. it allows the cult to ferment and the victimhood to grow. Johnson isn't a victim, he is a political abuser.

Hope, but without any hope, that the Leadership challengers are held to better account (as indeed all politicians not just the Tory vermin) in the media after this.

It’s all fun and games until Patel gets the job.

It’s very unpredictable. The biggest problem is that the members get to decide between the final two, and they are all swivel-eyed 80 year olds from rural Kent. The best outcome will be if the most right wing of the final two has to drop out before it goes to ballot, like happened with Leadsom.

I think most of the worst case scenarios don’t have a chance – Patel, Raab, Baker. Truss is still a danger. But equally most of the best case scenarios – Stewart, Davidson, aren’t currently eligible because they wisely chose to sit-out Johnson.

Wish the media would start challenging the Tory and BloJo narratives properly.

He didn't get all (many would argue any) of the 'Big Calls' right and he doesn't have a 14 million strong 'personal' mandate.

Leaving this stuff unchallenged is akin to the enablers of Trump's Big Lie. it allows the cult to ferment and the victimhood to grow. Johnson isn't a victim, he is a political abuser.

Hope, but without any hope, that the Leadership challengers are held to better account (as indeed all politicians not just the Tory vermin) in the media after this.

The vaccine rollout was a success compared to our European neighbours who were left floundering and had to remain in persistent lockdowns as they hadn’t vaccinated enough people. And last winter there were plenty of calls in the media to lockdown again but he didn’t and that was the right call.

Other than those calls, he’s got the vast majority wrong in my opinion, including the overall handling of the pandemic in the first place; locking down too late, the farce of opening and closing the schools in quick succession, not firing Cummings in a timely manner, not doing enough to make care homes safer from covid.

Erm, nope.
He is the Prime Minister. He is not a President.

Yet Boris delivered the massive majority. It was less of a vote for a Conservative party and more a vote for him. His personality was front and centre.

You won’t hear this perspective in the media because, let’s be honest, most were pro-remain and most have never liked him.

The vaccine rollout was a success compared to our European neighbours who were left floundering and had to remain in persistent lockdowns as they hadn’t vaccinated enough people. And last winter there were plenty of calls in the media to lockdown again but he didn’t and that was the right call.

Other than those calls, he’s got the vast majority wrong in my opinion, including the overall handling of the pandemic in the first place; locking down too late, the farce of opening and closing the schools in quick succession, not firing Cummings in a timely manner, not doing enough to make care homes safer from covid.

I'd argue the vaccine rollout was a success due to the NHS and the existing infrastructure rather than any Govt action, beyond handing that to them rather than setting up a new distribution system a la Test and Trace, but think we are on the same page.

Yet Boris delivered the massive majority. It was less of a vote for a Conservative party and more a vote for him. His personality was front and centre.

You won’t hear this perspective in the media because, let’s be honest, most were pro-remain and most have never liked him.

It was also a significant anti-Corbyn vote, massively whipped up by the media.
It was also a pro-Brexit vote (with tactical voting between Conservatives and UKIP despite their whinging about any unofficial Liberal/Labour tactical voting at the recent byelections) by red wall voters who feared Brexit wouldn't be done.
And it also depended on the usual 30% of the populace who will vote Tory until they are 6 foot under no matter what they do.

So yes, Johnson had a popular impact on the vote but there is no personal mandate and no way to claim it was all down to him.

Can't really square away the 'media were mainly remain' comment either - pro-business publications were pro-remain because it made economic sense (as proven) and the Mail, Express and the Murdoch empire were far from remain.

The thing about the media is that a lot of it is basically regurgitating whatever Rupert Murdoch thinks.

I disagree. Almost everyone held their nose over him personally - both MPs in the leadership election and the electorate in the GE. But he got support for three words - get Brexit done. That specific end needed a disruptor, someone unconventional.

When that was achieved though, he was a single issue leader with nothing else to offer, he'd served his use. He's been on borrowed time ever since.

The Conservative party delivered a massive majority.
As leader he will have had a significant influence. However he did not deliver it alone.
I'm sure some people were ignorant enough to vote "for Boris". Not much I can do if people don't understand what they are voting for.

Re: the media. I couldn't care less about the media. I know and care about the accurate application of our parliamentary system. I recommend you update your understanding of it - you have some significant holes.

What a terrible blow to the labour party, he was their greatest asset.
Yes and no.

Because he such a narcissist it was harder to actually be an opposition.

Once a new PM is in place we'll see what Labour are actually made of. What that is - your guess is as good as mine!

In a bid to establish an early lead in the race i'm proposing my cabinet,
Sport and culture @milo
Energy and renewables @Rorschach
Equalities @thfcsteff
Foreign sec @Danishfurniturelover
Chancellor @Jordinho
Home sec @AuroRaman
Health sec @StephenH
Dwp @Glenda's Legs
Chief whip @scaramanga

Still places up for grabs, pledge your vote for an opportunity to get in now.

I suspect none of them are suitable for those positions as they have worked in the real world.

Back