• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I rarely disagree with your political posts and I don't hear.

Think wrongly I come across as right wing when the majority of mine are to the left. This country is crying out for change and innovation.

Might get accused of being woke but I think it is time we got rid of the 'great' from Britain. Just sends the wrong message to me.

Know what you mean but the 'Great' is just a geographical identification for the largest island in the archipelago.

He gets too much credit for the vaccines roll-out. That worked because it relied on the existing primary care ecosystem, which rose to the challenge. It was the services built from scratch, like test and trace, which failed.
Zahawi's naked ambition in supporting Boris shows the shallowness of his character. He is willing to utterly humiliate himself for someone who wouldn't tinkle on him if he was on fire.

Johnson just promises people a simple golden future with no details or actual likelihood of delivery.

But people buy it.

He is the ultimate snake oil salesman, parasitising off people's fears, anxieties and hopes all to further himself.

He needs someone next to him who can actually run stuff day to day. He'll deliver the sound bites and photos of him on a flying fox etc which keeps him on first-name terms in the Sun and Daily Mail.

The interesting question is what comes next? Not sure those under 30 read these papers anymore. There is soooo much potential to innovate and utalise modern media to engage people in day-to-day politics. It needs a refresh and restructuring, or else people invariably will look to baffoons or brexit for some freshness.

I thought it was recognition of the Act of Union?

Britain = England + Wales

Greater (or Great) Britain = Scotland too?

The Union of the two Kingdoms found on the main landmass of the British Isles has always been my take on it.

Don't think Britain by itself ever stood for just England and Wales as a political or geographical concept.

Zahawi's naked ambition in supporting Boris shows the shallowness of his character. He is willing to utterly humiliate himself for someone who wouldn't tinkle on him if he was on fire.

Bit of an odd gamble from Zahawi.
One of the more competent and unsullied ministers yet has hitched his horse even tighter to the Clown.

Lots of rumours that he threatened to resign if he didn't get Chancellor so it is pure opportunism from him but possibly curtails his chances of PM when the Criminal goes. Staying silently complicit like Gove, Wallace etc seemed to be more strategic

Nish Kumar has tweeted:

“Balancing out the fact that I can't
stand Javid or Sunak with the fact
that I love to see a rich white man
brought down by asians”

I mean if a white person tweeted this about another ethnic group, they would be called a racist and rightly so. It shouldn’t be ok for white people to tweet this sort of stuff and it shouldn’t be ok for anyone else to do the same either. Can’t have one rule for some and another for everyone else. And yes I get the irony of that as that’s exactly what Boris does :)

Attachments

• 60BFDD5C-6E41-4F97-AE35-46D9BC2328A5.png
    60BFDD5C-6E41-4F97-AE35-46D9BC2328A5.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 5
One of the more competent and unsullied ministers yet has hitched his horse even tighter to the Clown.

Lots of rumours that he threatened to resign if he didn't get Chancellor so it is pure opportunism from him but possibly curtails his chances of PM when the Criminal goes. Staying silently complicit like Gove, Wallace etc seemed to be more strategic

Or maybe he’s trying to turn himself into more of a big beast for the next leader to have to deal with. By having held one of the big 3 offices, he can’t as easily be put back on the back benches now, unless its active political hostility.

Nish Kumar has tweeted:

“Balancing out the fact that I can't
stand Javid or Sunak with the fact
that I love to see a rich white man
brought down by asians”

I mean if a white person tweeted this about another ethnic group, they would be called a racist and rightly so. It shouldn’t be ok for white people to tweet this sort of stuff and it shouldn’t be ok for anyone else to do the same either. Can’t have one rule for some and another for everyone else. And yes I get the irony of that as that’s exactly what Boris does :)

But I think you've missed the irony that the part about Asian men bringing down white men is part of the joke because of the colonial history of powerful British white men toppling Asian governance.

You appear to be seeing it quite, erm.....black and white :D:eek:

But I think you've missed the irony that the part about Asian men bringing down white men is part of the joke because of the colonial history of powerful British white men toppling Asian governance.

You appear to be seeing it quite, erm.....black and white :D:eek:

That’s all fine but swap Ricky Gervais with Nish Kumar and have him make a joke about white men toppling a rich black/Asian/insert race here and see what the reaction would be. Colonialism was decades/centuries ago and white people today weren’t around when it was carried out. If you have a direct relative that was responsible for it, then I’d say it’s fair game for people to expect an apology. But if that’s not the case then I think you have to draw the line somewhere.

Powerful words from Javid. Said there are only so many times you can press the reset button and switch the computer on and off before realising there’s a bigger problem with the computer.

Agree. I think distancing himself from Boris would have been a smarter move. He's now risking whatever meagre reputation he had left.

That’s all fine but swap Ricky Gervais with Nish Kumar and have him make a joke about white men toppling a rich black/Asian/insert race here and see what the reaction would be. Colonialism was decades/centuries ago and white people today weren’t around when it was carried out. If you have a direct relative that was responsible for it, then I’d say it’s fair game for people to expect an apology. But if that’s not the case then I think you have to draw the line somewhere.

It's impact is declining, but still very present in the national phyche and especially that of many of the current government and bullingdon clubs types.

Your example would be fine, if it's ridiculing the negative colonial behaviour - which is exactly what Kumar did.
If Kumar or your hypothetical example were being triumphant, then it would be different. The line between satire and reality is usually uncomfortable, because it's making fun of real life whilst simultaneously shining a light on uncomfortable truths.

Back