• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

He must have a clause in his contract that he will take all the free kicks on the edge of the box. ( obviously i am joking) but i can not understand why different managers have allowed him so many chances to take them.

Once again our defending from corners cost us.

1. Dougherty slips and gives away an unnecessary corner. Somewhat unfortunate but you just knew it was going to cost us
2. Son was detailed to mark one of their dangermen. Why - just why?
3. Son predictably gets brushed aside by Dawson who is then able to run unimpeded to attack the ball against our standing and static defenders.
4 Dawson predictably wins the header. Who was supposed to be marking Benrahma? He was left in acres of space in our penalty area to score.
Amateurish defending at best.
While at the other end, meh, meh and more meh.

Once again our defending from corners cost us.

1. Dougherty slips and gives away an unnecessary corner. Somewhat unfortunate but you just knew it was going to cost us
2. Son was detailed to mark one of their dangermen. Why - just why?
3. Son predictably gets brushed aside by Dawson who is then able to run unimpeded to attack the ball against our standing and static defenders.
4 Dawson predictably wins the header. Who was supposed to be marking Benrahma? He was left in acres of space in our penalty area to score.
Amateurish defending at best.
While at the other end, meh, meh and more meh.

Not sure Son was detailed to mark Dawson. We have both Doherty and Davies there for the two West Ham players in that area.

We have no one marking Benrahma if Son is detailed with Dawson. I think he's more there as the man to pick up a loose ball, track runners like Benrahma. But gets distracted by the movement of Dawson. He isn't even brushed aside by Dawson, he just leaves him. Makes me more certain he's not there to mark Dawson. But he does fail to notice/track the run of Benrahma.

We do a decent job against Dawson. If Benrahma wasn't left unmarked no one would have noticed. He didn't get a free header, it's a contested one that can go anywhere. Those happen.

Not sure if we've changed our defensive setup for corners under Conte? Can't quite remember what we did under Nuno. Think it's definitely different to what we did under Mourinho.

Not uncommon that it takes time to get these right. I'm rather certain Conte knows what he wants and if the players can execute it that will be good. But for now there's definitely a bit left of the learning curve.

Time to break the modern method of defending corners with the entire team. Sonny shouldn’t be in defence. Let him stand up towards the half way line and the opposition will have to put two players on him.

It's not rocket science we need a centreback who wins most balls in the air but they must also be mobile. Our current set are ok but none of them are dominant. West Ham are very like all Moyes sides very strong at high dead ball situations, most of our problems are caused by our failure to win and clear the crosses as in the Southampton game.

Time to break the modern method of defending corners with the entire team. Sonny shouldn’t be in defence. Let him stand up towards the half way line and the opposition will have to put two players on him.

Think there's been quite a bit of number crunching on this and the modern method of defending corners resulting from that.

The idea behind leaving a player up is sound enough in theory. But not borne out in practice I think. More goals conceded, not enough of an increase in goals scored from counter attacks to make up for it.

It's not rocket science we need a centreback who wins most balls in the air but they must also be mobile. Our current set are ok but none of them are dominant. West Ham are very like all Moyes sides very strong at high dead ball situations, most of our problems are caused by our failure to win and clear the crosses as in the Southampton game.

We do win quite a few of the initial duels clearly. I think Romero and Dier are both fine in this regard imo. A more physically commanding CB than Davies would obviously help, but he would have to match Davies on other attributes to make it worth it.

We heve to deal with not outright winning the initial duel too. That will continue to happen regardless.

Kane hasn't scored a freekick since 2014. He has had 53 unsuccessful shots. One more equals another record.

I’d also like to see our free-kick conversion rate but that stat doesn’t seem to be readily available…

FWIW I stumbled across this article which says that only 6% of FKs do hit the back of the net though.

https://sqaf.club/free-kick-goal-stats/

Did you know that, in the Premier League, the direct free kick conversation rate stands at only about six per cent? That equates to one goal for roughly every 18 attempts.

Perhaps that’s what makes them stand out in our mind so clearly – not just the beauty of seeing a ball so precisely caressed from such a distance – but the rarity of it. Indeed, since 2005-06, only two Premier League players have scored from as many as four free kicks in one season – Cristiano Ronaldo (twice) and Yaya Touré.

But how many goals are scored from free kicks year on year in England’s top tier? Are there any trends, and any reasons behind such trends? Let’s take a look:
Perhaps a better stat would be with the Top 4/5, I mean scoring from a free kick requires some talent

I actually think this fella could be one of our most important signings this summer. At the moment our direct free kicks are predictable, i would hazard a guess we will be adding in Sonny and Dier into the mix, maybe a couple of others. I think (hope) we see H take fewer free kicks but I am excited to see what we do in some of the scenarios where a direct shot is less of an option.

I am very excited to see what this season will bring…

I have to say I think the movement and variety in our Free Kicks and Corners this season is brilliant. The predictable nature of them has gone. We got two goals yesterday from corners, can’t remember the last time that happened, and Kane’s goal was clearly a training ground special.

Like I said before, this set piece coach is going to make all the difference.

I have to say I think the movement and variety in our Free Kicks and Corners this season is brilliant. The predictable nature of them has gone. We got two goals yesterday from corners, can’t remember the last time that happened, and Kane’s goal was clearly a training ground special.

Like I said before, this set piece coach is going to make all the difference.
We're best in the league at both ends for set pieces.

That it was Leicester can’t be ignored, they’ve been terrible at defending set pieces this season.

But we are certainly improving in that area.

Back