• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

Depends (agree with your assessment that Frank needs to go), survival in the PL is often not how bad you are, but are there 3 worse teams than you?

Winks in a midfield 3, with Dele (had really good game for them 2nd to last that saved them) running off DCL wouldn't be the worst idea you could come up with.
I personally think Everton have some decent players. I don't think he'd join them, but Poch would be a great manager for them at the moment from their point of view. (Limited budget, young players etc).

I wouldn’t say Everton is a step down. Their time will come again. They have a massive history.

If I was a professional footballer I’d be proud to play for them.

Going to be a bumpy ride the next couple of years. Usminov under sanctions, trying to build the stadium at a time of massive inflation. While having a terrible team.

£50m for Bergjwin and Winks is not bad business at all.

Imaginary business is often good business, however it's not often what actually transpires.

Hard enough work getting Ajax anywhere near 25m for Stevey according to reports, even Everton aren't dumb enough (or aren't able) to spend that kind of money on Winks anymore.

Imaginary business is often good business, however it's not often what actually transpires.

Hard enough work getting Ajax anywhere near 25m for Stevey according to reports, even Everton aren't dumb enough (or aren't able) to spend that kind of money on Winks anymore.

however the age of a good swap deal and cash is upon us I tell thee….

Bergwijn plus cash for their Italian left sided defender (Romeros mate) or Antony

Winks plus the money they owe for dele for Richarleson

Well, he IS a good allround player. And he's not a poor passer per se, but he has poor awareness and overview, compared to what we need from that position. Him spotting a run 20 yards away is not skill, it's luck. You rarely if ever say "how on earth did he see that" after a Winks pass, as we did week in and week out with Eriksen and Modric. And he needs to drop what he learned at the Scott Parker school of spinning, I swear he does it out of spite at times. Still he would comfortably slot in with most mid- to bottom table teams in the highly competitive English Premier League, which is as good as it gets, really. But he's not good enough for a team aiming for top 4, as you'll need to be excellent at something. Being just a good footballer won't get you to the top. Even Harry Kane, when he started going walkabout, hurt the productivity at first, and if we hadn't had a player like Son to switch, who knows. And Kane is not a good allrounder, he's one of the world's best allrounders so that's a little unfair towards Winks even if not meant that way.

20 years ago we would be delighted to have a midfielder like Winks, as would most teams. Hell, 20 years ago we would be delighted to have Jena.. sorry, Sissoko. Today he's surplus to requirements unfortunately.
I'm no fan of Winks, but I totally agree, he isn't a bad player. Quite the opposite! It's just that he's that little percentage below what level Spurs are at now, and he hasn't really progressed since he came into the first team. He was really promising, but it seems he reached his level very early, and has not been able to push on. Very good player, just not good enough for the very top level.

My view is that strange injury has really knocked him back. There was a very effective Winksy before that.

Maybe he might shake it off but it’s been a while and footballers have to perform.
He said himself he had to play through some pain and I agree pre injury he was a different player. I always felt Mason was a decent player too but he had to be at the absolute top of his fitness as he didn't have any outstanding physical gifts to help with that extra yard to get to the ball first, cover the ground or win a 50/50 against one of the more beast like opponents they face. Sort of like an inverse of Sissoko!
I suppose the other thing is when you are on and put of the team, just being tidy doesn't feel enough to win your place back, so you can try too hard and end up either overthinking things or being too ambitious with passes and dribbles trying to affect the game. Maybe at a new club he can settle again

My view is that strange injury has really knocked him back. There was a very effective Winksy before that.

Maybe he might shake it off but it’s been a while and footballers have to perform.

We were always told it was a chronic condition, Poch just told him he'd have to learn to play through it.

Have you seen the prices some of these bang average players are being sold for? If we don’t get £25m for him then its not fantastic business in todays market.

Have you seen the prices some of these bang average players are being sold for? If we don’t get £25m for him then its not fantastic business in todays market.

Think it depends on how broadly you look at it - Another 10m+ (ideally 15m) signing brought in from an academy player is fine by me, it all adds up in the long run like CCV.

Waiting it out for 25m isn't worth what he'll offer us on the pitch this season with Bissouma around. It's in everyone's interests to get a deal sorted, appreciate Wink's service and efforts but the guy needs a fresh start somewhere.

I wouldn’t say Everton is a step down. Their time will come again. They have a massive history.

If I was a professional footballer I’d be proud to play for them.

Their time has past ..

- They were never able to take the step up in the Moyes era (typically were best of the rest)
- They have failed miserably with a £0.5B injection in last couple of years and have got noticeably worse and have sanction and FFP concerns
- Other teams around them, Wolves, West Ham, Leicester and now Saudi Sportswashing Machine have just improved.

The big issue for Everton is they never corrected in the income issue, they earn around the same as West Ham, which is less than half of any of the top 5 earners.

Their time has past ..

- They were never able to take the step up in the Moyes era (typically were best of the rest)
- They have failed miserably with a £0.5B injection in last couple of years and have got noticeably worse and have sanction and FFP concerns
- Other teams around them, Wolves, West Ham, Leicester and now Saudi Sportswashing Machine have just improved.

The big issue for Everton is they never corrected in the income issue, they earn around the same as West Ham, which is less than half of any of the top 5 earners.

They've started building a new stadium. Although with usminov sanctioned and the current economic climate, that may be a problem.

Their time has past ..

No doubt In the short and medium term but the future holds many many football seasons, and history is permanently imprinted.

Yea but then look at Blackburn, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Emirates Marketing Project- their fortunes changed overnight but the pedigree and deep history was already there.

Had England teams not been kicked out of Europe after Heysel Everton would have been in European finals. It’s not that long ago. On such events fortunes change, what you see now is not permanent even if just a few decades of dominance gives that impression.

We are different to European countries, we have historic clubs everywhere and Cities like Sunderland, Sheffield and Bristol will get back on top given enough time.

No doubt In the short and medium term but the future holds many many football seasons, and history is permanently imprinted.

Yea but then look at Blackburn, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Emirates Marketing Project- their fortunes changed overnight but the pedigree and deep history was already there.

Had England teams not been kicked out of Europe after Heysel Everton would have been in European finals. It’s not that long ago. On such events fortunes change, what you see now is not permanent even if just a few decades of dominance gives that impression.

We are different to European countries, we have historic clubs everywhere and Cities like Sunderland, Sheffield and Bristol will get back on top given enough time.

The thing is they are irreversibly damaged by it. Not so much in a city where the vast support is for one club (Saudi Sportswashing Machine). But kids growing up in sheffield are likely to start supporting a utd, or liverpool or city. Not all but enough. Being a kid supporting a team that loses a lot is hard. Especially if their rivals are doing better.

They've started building a new stadium. Although with usminov sanctioned and the current economic climate, that may be a problem.

Exactly, plus stuff like this -> Unesco strips Liverpool of its world heritage status | Liverpool | The Guardian

Blackburn was a different era, someone could put in a few million and make a difference

City was the 2nd (after Chelsea) and they literally spent a billion+ to compete, Saudi Sportswashing Machine is here but how do they win, do they spend 2B?/3B? and how do you think faded clubs like Everton can compete against that (even if they were well run, which clearly they aren't). and to @Lilbaz point, they have done so little with that brand in the last two decades.

There are tons of clubs with history in the UK, I get it, but without being very aggressively run as a business with a long term vision to close the financial gap to top clubs, or crazy money doping (which is getting harder), that's what they will remain, history ..

Their time has past ..

Interesting discussion. I think Everton missed their chance too. When Jol had his two 5th placed finishes with us (05/06 and 06/07), Everton finished 11th and 7th (although they did manage 4th in 04/05). We then faded under Ramos, and then of course there was the 8 games / 2 points season. Meanwhile, Everton under Moyes went on a run of 7th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th and 6th (and then 5th under Martinez).

Around 2010, Emirates Marketing Project finally broke the dominance of the Big Four clubs, who'd been utterly entrenched thanks to those four CL places. Thankfully, Spurs were able to get a foot in the door, just, before going on to the glory-glory days (relatively speaking) under Poch -- thanks in no large part to the emergence of Bale, Modric and then Kane. Whereas Everton tailed off. It could so easily have been us and not them.

For his part, Levy managed to get the stadium done, and it's that which'll allow us to compete now and in the future. Will the Big 6 become a Big 7 with Saudi Sportswashing Machine, or will we see Man U, Arsenal, or even Chelsea drop out? Hopefully!

Here's an interesting article on how the league went from Big 5 (Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool, ManU) to Big 4 to Big 6:
https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/news/premier-league-big-six-balance-power-english-football-evolve

Back