• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Can Dublin afford to take it over?
Financially or politically?
They could quickly find out just who their friends in the EU are.
NI is a basket case, and from what i can see its one a lot of people claim they want, but at the moment the only ones willing to pay for it are the tory party.

It's simple decolonisation, it's just the morally right thing to do. Obviously there are a lot of lessons from the 50s in India etc. to learn from. But I don't think anyone in Britain would mind a fairly basic 'shout good luck and do one' approach.

It's simple decolonisation, it's just the morally right thing to do. Obviously there are a lot of lessons from the 50s in India etc. to learn from. But I don't think anyone in Britain would mind a fairly basic 'shout good luck and do one' approach.

So abandon them?
Wow, can see how that would go down.
Apart from anything else would you not effectively be making 100s of 1000s stateless? I'm sure there are many who would not want to be irish citizens, so it's not really simple.

400 years of British/Irish problems solved in two lines of text, and backed up with a 'I don't think anyone would mind' instead of any data.

You should apply for a job with the current government. You'd be sitting as part of the Cabinet within a fortnight.

So abandon them?
Wow, can see how that would go down.
Apart from anything else would you not effectively be making 100s of 1000s stateless? I'm sure there are many who would not want to be irish citizens, so it's not really simple.

It's already happen emotionally. Especially in England (I appreciate south west Scotland is a bit different). Brexit should have been a real wake up call to the unionists that none of the current generations of Brits care particularly for their plight, not even instinctively side with them. It's like a moribund relationship just waiting for the divorce papers to come through.

Offer anyone who wants to a British passport and a ferry ticket to Scotland. A bit like happened with the people of Hong Kong in the 90s.

400 years of British/Irish problems solved in two lines of text, and backed up with a 'I don't think anyone would mind' instead of any data.

You should apply for a job with the current government. You'd be sitting as part of the Cabinet within a fortnight.

I said no one in Britain would mind (as opposed to NI unionists). There's not going to be any irredentist UK-ist movement from this side of the sea when Irish reunification does happen. Sombre vigils in parliament square under banners of Danny Blanchflower, accompanied by string renditions of Undertones and Van Morrison songs.

It's a bit radical for this country I know, but I'd start with taxing wealth. Especially shareholders and landlords.

I'd also look at the concept of national maximum wage - set at national minimum wage x 20 or something similar.

ok… so details… how would you tax them? At what level would you start? How much would you tax them?

how about companies that provide accommodation? How would you tax them?

how about pension funds, how would you tax them?

And when people are in negative equality on their home because of your policies, what would you do for them? To stop their homes being taken away? What will that policy mean for the wider economy and the credit market?

Last edited:
It's already happen emotionally. Especially in England (I appreciate south west Scotland is a bit different). Brexit should have been a real wake up call to the unionists that none of the current generations of Brits care particularly for their plight, not even instinctively side with them. It's like a moribund relationship just waiting for the divorce papers to come through.

Offer anyone who wants to a British passport and a ferry ticket to Scotland. A bit like happened with the people of Hong Kong in the 90s.

Being in the south west of Scotland has nothing to do with it, please keep your casual prejudice to yourself.
NI will leave the UK and join with eire when a majority of the population want it to, but most importantly when both parties are willing to pay for it.
That's how it should be, it has nothing to do with anyone but them.
If that is their decision we, as in the UK, should offer any help we can and wish them luck.

I know that you are posting that tongue in Cheek, but is it any different anywhere else in the world?
Up here its we invented the steam engine, railways, tv, the telephone, the bike, built the best ships in the world, discovered penicillin, developed ultra sound, blah blah.
There was a poster at Scottish airports, welcome to the best small country in the world, i mean ffs!
The french go on about their culture, food, wine, language.
The Italians similar but throw in the romans.
German engineering, philosophy, well run state etc.
And don't even start on America, land of the the free, protected by GHod the Almighty.
People are just my tits.

upload_2022-6-22_12-10-31.jpeg

Being in the south west of Scotland has nothing to do with it, please keep your casual prejudice to yourself.
NI will leave the UK and join with eire when a majority of the population want it to, but most importantly when both parties are willing to pay for it.
That's how it should be, it has nothing to do with anyone but them.
If that is their decision we, as in the UK, should offer any help we can and wish them luck.
NI will be subsidising the rest of the UK soon.

NI will be subsidising the rest of the UK soon.

I voted remain. There is issues with the EU, but issues that could be resolved.
It is better to forge alliances than to be on the outside.
Cameron imho fudged up, it was a slim result in an advisory vote, instead of the throwing his hand in straight away he should have went back to Brussels and bargained for some concessions. I can only assume his party fudged him over.
The odds on brexit being a success or failure were always on failure, but until covid and then putin i think it would have been a manageable failure.
Who knows where it will end up now.

Tory voters make me laugh. Guardian podcast went down to Tiverton to interview people and one of the Boris fans was just spouting front page Daily Mail with absolutely no other information at hand of why they support Boris. Weird bunch.

Tory voters make me laugh. Guardian podcast went down to Tiverton to interview people and one of the Boris fans was just spouting front page Daily Mail with absolutely no other information at hand of why they support Boris. Weird bunch.

I live next door to one of them. Knows nothing (only reads The Mail) and has an opinion on everything.

Back