• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moving back to the UK

Mr_B

Niko Kranjcar
I've lived in the US for 19 years, yes 19, moving back to the UK in august, anyone got any tips/advice they can offer on my transition.
I'll be starting from scratch/have to build up credit but sold a nice property in california so dont have to worry about work/money for a while.
Moving for family/personal reasons.

I've lived in the US for 19 years, yes 19, moving back to the UK in august, anyone got any tips/advice they can offer on my transition.
I'll be starting from scratch/have to build up credit but sold a nice property in california so dont have to worry about work/money for a while.
Moving for family/personal reasons.

I left for about a year and lived in asia. So had most things largely intact when i came back. Place to live, bank account... got a job pretty much straight away too. Taxman was a bit of a pain though. Kept on sending me forms every year as if i was a foreign national. About how i'd support myself while here, where i'd live. I had to send them a letter to say i had a british passport and if i was no longer british could they explain what i was? Stopped after that.

Wife came over to live. Foreign born. Most problem she had was getting a bank account. Is hsbc a thing in california? Or other international banks? Start an account there before coming back might make it easier when here as you'd already have an account. Other than that google is your friend. It's not too hard if you are going to live in london. Tax office in euston. Although most things are done by phone these days. Even job centers. Call the numbers and spend the next hour saying yes or no to their questions or do it online. They are thourough. But cover everything.

Last edited:
Good time of the year to transition. London's awesome in the summer. Even Tottenham. Do you know which area you’ll settle in?

Reactions: DTA
I left for about a year and lived in asia. So had most things largely intact when i came back. Place to live, bank account... got a job pretty much straight away too. Taxman was a bit of a pain though. Kept on sending me forms every year as if i was a foreign national. About how i'd support myself while here, where i'd live. I had to send them a letter to say i had a british passport and if i was no longer british could they explain what i was? Stopped after that.

Wife came over to live. Foreign born. Most problem she had was getting a bank account. Is hsbc a thing in california? Or other international banks? Start an account there before coming back might make it easier when here as you'd already have an account. Other than that google is your friend. It's not too hard if you are going to live in london. Tax office in euston. Although most things are done by phone these days. Even job centers. Call the numbers and spend the next hour saying yes or no to their questions or do it online. They are thourough. But cover everything.

i closed my uk bank account in 2017 thinking I would be out her for good, fortunately my parents had a utility bill in my name and last time i went bank i opened a new account. got to rebuild credit which wont be fun

Good time of the year to transition. London's awesome in the summer. Even Tottenham. Do you know which area you’ll settle in?

family live in finchley and st.albans, will take anywhere in north london, will probably have to put down 6 month deposit

i closed my uk bank account in 2017 thinking I would be out her for good, fortunately my parents had a utility bill in my name and last time i went bank i opened a new account. got to rebuild credit which wont be fun

Good luck. One thing at a time.

Indo? Indonesia? India?
Sorry Indonesia (Indo is surf parlance):)

It's such a great place, super friendly, lovely food. If I was moving on and had a chunk of money I'd seriously consider it. Life in the UK (or western world) looks like a tough road ahead short to medium term. You can still work there if you're doing something digital. Digital nomads are rife. Or do nothing (or work on oneself...) £1k a month will see you right.

Last edited:
some things in life are more important than money, the economy aint great stateside either but i need to be with family at this time, maybe i'll hit up Indonesia in 10 years.

Back