• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I aint no Sheikh-but lets talk weather

I don’t like these super hot phases we get nowadays but happy to see some sun for a few weeks.

2 weeks of lovely weather then I'm off to Rhodes for a week on Family-Moon
Literally love it when the weather is good, get out as much as I can, Vitamin D is so important

Going to do a seafood and veggie bbq next weekend. Haven’t worked any of it out yet though.

Ordered an air conditioning unit last week in case a potential heatwave comes to pass.

My house cooks and we both work from home.

Seen some models suggesting high 30’s with the odd 40+ degrees in southern England. Hopefully that will not come to pass.

Ordered an air conditioning unit last week in case a potential heatwave comes to pass.

My house cooks and we both work from home.

Seen some models suggesting high 30’s with the odd 40+ degrees in southern England. Hopefully that will not come to pass.
It will come to pass, if not now then later, so that is a good investment.

There is a big opportunity with a relatively small change to make these aircon units do the job of heating the house too. They are effectively heat pumps under the hood.

It will come to pass, if not now then later, so that is a good investment.

There is a big opportunity with a relatively small change to make these aircon units do the job of heating the house too. They are effectively heat pumps under the hood.

Yes We are geared up with massive heating potential but once the heat is in we have a huge volume of insulation - it doesn’t get out. I almost passed out in 2020 next to an open window. We also need to get some reflective sunshade for the bifold etc. Have massive south facing windows. Upstairs also. Rebuilt house and just didn’t consider overheating.

truth is we have gone from summers with a max of 28c to 35c plus in a few short years.

Yes We are geared up with massive heating potential but once the heat is in we have a huge volume of insulation - it doesn’t get out. I almost passed out in 2020 next to an open window. We also need to get some reflective sunshade for the bifold etc. Have massive south facing windows. Upstairs also. Rebuilt house and just didn’t consider overheating.

truth is we have gone from summers with a max of 28c to 35c plus in a few short years.
Over heating is not something most have considered up in this corner of the world before, but I see cooling sneaking into the building reg discussions now. It is going to be a big problem. You are right to be considering some sort of shade for the south-facing windows. There is a good reason why Mediterranean houses all have shutters. Also google passive stack ventilation which is not a hard retro fit option to help move the hot air out.

I'm building my own house (Petrocelli style) these last couple of years and am weighing up the cooling options at the moment. I have a blank canvas now so I gotta think it through properly. My original plan was to just get a heat pump that can work in reverse and cool the floor slab but now I'm not sure that will be enough. I might look at ducted aircon while the ceilings are open.

Don't think it's been above 20 degrees up here this summer, certainly not for any sustained period. :mad:

So you have not seen much sunshine - that sucks- Ideally it’ll be 23c sunny with little fluffy clouds.
Been like that here for a while but also bone dry.

Over heating is not something most have considered up in this corner of the world before, but I see cooling sneaking into the building reg discussions now. It is going to be a big problem. You are right to be considering some sort of shade for the south-facing windows. There is a good reason why Mediterranean houses all have shutters. Also google passive stack ventilation which is not a hard retro fit option to help move the hot air out.

I'm building my own house (Petrocelli style) these last couple of years and am weighing up the cooling options at the moment. I have a blank canvas now so I gotta think it through properly. My original plan was to just get a heat pump that can work in reverse and cool the floor slab but now I'm not sure that will be enough. I might look at ducted aircon while the ceilings are open.

I shall look into that thanks and have a nose at that architectural style.

(haha just looked up Petricelli which Ihad mentally pictures as some sort of avant garde style- not a tv show with some guy who never finished building his house).

Last edited:

Too much glass is often a schoolboy error.
Get the compass out.

We welcome the solar gains in the winter but built the single storey roof structure with a 900mm overhang to keep that middle of the day midsummer sunlight of the rear glass doors. (We're south facing... wouldn't have it any other way:))

I'm going to look at a house tomorrow that has a thatched roof, really interested on how I could integrate modern heating and cooling into a 17th century Grade 2 listed building

Back