• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lucas Moura

My disappointment in Lucas Moura stems from the fact that prior to signing Kulu he was a starter most weeks and after Kulu he was more often than not the first player if the bench but only mustered 2 paltry league goals.

It looks like we are going to be keeping him this summer but he has to provide greater end product
He will struggle in a conte side
I know fans seem to live him but his style is head down and run… it’s chaos for contes set up
We look 20% better with him not in the side which says a lot about how he works in this kind of system
We will keep him because it’s a sensible financial one but if he is first choice sub next season he will have either massively improved or were struggling to buy the players we need/want

Good news. I know he has his detractors but I’ve always thought highly of him. Has scored some pretty damn crucial goals for us in the 4 and a half years he has been here.
He has paid his dues with that Champions League semi final. I am yet to see any of our other current crop step up and single handedly get us through a game of that magnitude.

He will struggle in a conte side
I know fans seem to live him but his style is head down and run… it’s chaos for contes set up
We look 20% better with him not in the side which says a lot about how he works in this kind of system
We will keep him because it’s a sensible financial one but if he is first choice sub next season he will have either massively improved or were struggling to buy the players we need/want

Lucas was one of the biggest improvers immediately after Conte came in. I think he has the discipline to become a good player in this system.

Good option to bring on but not an automatic starter. Never hides, always looks to go forwards and can beat players on the dribble.

He's happy, we're happy.

I'd rather be going from players who were starters becoming squad players, then our recent trend of squad players becoming starters cause we've bought nobody in.

I see reference to Kulu and how much better he is, which statistically is fair. But this expectation of an upgrade for a role on the bench/rotation, it’s as if people are expecting a Mahrez or someone to turn up for that role.

Moura is far from perfect, but more than capable of filling cup games/low level league games and games where a bit of his ‘chaos’ is required to change things or break teams down. He does have genuine quality albeit inconsistent and with him being a top bloke and low maintenance he is more than qualified to be a useful squad player going forward….

Was he?
In what way?
He didn’t score or create more so I’m unsure what the measure is for his improvement

General performances were a lot better. Sure he didn’t score are assist as much as Kulu but that doesn’t mean his general performances were bad. To me, he definitely improved when Conte came in, and you can disagree with that if you like.

I see reference to Kulu and how much better he is, which statistically is fair. But this expectation of an upgrade for a role on the bench/rotation, it’s as if people are expecting a Mahrez or someone to turn up for that role.

Moura is far from perfect, but more than capable of filling cup games/low level league games and games where a bit of his ‘chaos’ is required to change things or break teams down. He does have genuine quality albeit inconsistent and with him being a top bloke and low maintenance he is more than qualified to be a useful squad player going forward….

We've had links to Jesus & Rashford recently - that's the level of rotation we should be looking to attain. That is if we want to progress and challenge.

No harm in having players like Moura filling out the squad, right attitude and happy with limited minutes, but you don't want to rely on them for an extended period - if Kulu or Son are long term injured then we will blunt our attacking play and lead to dropped points as we have seen over the last 2-3 years with him in the team as a starter.

Can possibly compare it to having Royal/Sanchez/Rodon/Winks as first options off the bench - we need to improve on that level of player to give us better options.

Last edited:
The Lucas conversation is honestly so strange

- He's happy to play for us
- He's had important moments for us, when he's showed up (Ajax obviously)
- He's a great option in cup games (like Lamela, while his PL numbers need improving, his style is super effective in cup games, will be important to rotation next season, 6 goals/8 assists return in a side that struggled for half a season isn't bad)
- Conte trusts him, and when Conte/everyone wanted someone to come on and get Son's his GB goals, who did, who delivered?
- He's different from what we have, yes it's a bit chaos at times, but he's quick, can beat his man, can be extremely direct

And yes, his numbers should be closer to that 18/19 season where he did 15 goals, 10 in PL, but he's also been asked to defend a lot in a struggling side in last few years.

Could we upgrade him? sure, for cheap? no, is it a priority? no?

He stays, we will look at backup for Kane, backup for Son if/when Bergwijn goes, but Lucas is so far down the priority list of to be upgraded (or that will make a difference to team as you will be upgrading a backup vs. starter), I have no fudging idea why people are so worked up.

Back