• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jose Mourinho

And yet Spurs couldn't reach the proper knockout stages. This was a trophy I believed Tottenham could win and should have done better especially as it was the first version. Roma's name is written in history.

Roma's name is written in history up until the point in time when UEFA realise the third competition is a silly idea, scrap it and everyone forgets it ever existed.

Also worth remembering we didn't reach the knockout stages because we were essentially thrown out.

Roma's name is written in history up until the point in time when UEFA realise the third competition is a silly idea, scrap it and everyone forgets it ever existed.

Also worth remembering we didn't reach the knockout stages because we were essentially thrown out.

To a degree, in a small way yes.
But we failed to beat Rennes, Mura & Vitesse when it mattered, essentially six points dropped needlessly if we say Rennes were a decent team.

Every other team in the group beat Mura, yet we managed to find a way to fail.

The guy just keeps on winning trophies, except with us - does that say more about him or about us I wonder? eh @thfcsteff ... would be an interesting discussion on the pod

I agree, it would be an interesting discussion.
I am not sure whether the pod team will ever reach agreement on it TBH.
I’d be happy to stand my ground with regards to the debate, but in general I think we’re committed to the future!

I will add my own personal view on Mourinho and trophies. Good for him, I remain resolutely delighted he is not our manager as he was (IMO) a horrible fit for what our club is all about. Before someone jokes ‘not trophy winners’ I am more referring to his manner, his methods, the way he carries himself and the messages he sends both within and outside the clubs he’s worked at. In fairness, Roma seems to have been the calmest for decades, albeit he did nearly have a bus mow then all down mid-season. I remain firm in the belief that we should be looking for bigger and better than Conference Leagues and League Cups. Hopefully we are about to enjoy another crack at the biggest trophies, such as the one we were 90 minutes away from in 2019 by behaving, playing and standing for the right way of what it is to be a proper football club.

I understand wholly there will be some who disagree with my opinion FWIW, just don’t try and tell me it’s ‘wrong’ because it isn’t. It is simply my opinion.

To a degree, in a small way yes.
But we failed to beat Rennes, Mura & Vitesse when it mattered, essentially six points dropped needlessly if we say Rennes were a decent team.

Every other team in the group beat Mura, yet we managed to find a way to fail.

Personally I don't lose any sleep over it. You could argue this is an arrogant thing to say considering we haven't won anything, but I'd much rather not win that competition anyway. You look at all the teams that were in it and it's just not a competition you can take any pride from.

Mourinho may well up at it but it's just him drawing attention to himself to try and stay relevant and appear successful. I'd be surprised if he hand on heart thinks he's achieved anything by beating Vitesse, Bodo/ Glimt, Leicester and Feyenoord. If it wasn't for the fact he might appear as a pub quiz question in decades to come no one would remember anything about this.

It's been the first year of the conference league and seeing what kind of clubs compete in it, it's failed to meet even my very low expectations of it before it began.

I’d be happy to stand my ground with regards to the debate, but in general I think we’re committed to the future!

I will add my own personal view on Mourinho and trophies. Good for him, I remain resolutely delighted he is not our manager as he was (IMO) a horrible fit for what our club is all about. Before someone jokes ‘not trophy winners’ I am more referring to his manner, his methods, the way he carries himself and the messages he sends both within and outside the clubs he’s worked at. In fairness, Roma seems to have been the calmest for decades, albeit he did nearly have a bus mow then all down mid-season. I remain firm in the belief that we should be looking for bigger and better than Conference Leagues and League Cups. Hopefully we are about to enjoy another crack at the biggest trophies, such as the one we were 90 minutes away from in 2019 by behaving, playing and standing for the right way of what it is to be a proper football club.

I understand wholly there will be some who disagree with my opinion FWIW, just don’t try and tell me it’s ‘wrong’ because it isn’t. It is simply my opinion.

Great post steff.
atm i would take any trophy, everyone needs to start somewhere. First trophy is so important. If Liverpool threw the league cup and won the f a cup, PL and CL bang goes the quad. Emirates Marketing Project where 30 mins away from no trophies this season, league cup is not high on their priorities, but they would not be saying that if they won nothing else.
Take one at a time and see where they lead you.
It's so important to remember that most posts on are just opinions, its good we all have them, its even better that they're not all the same, but most importantly to remember that we are all entitled to have one, whether you agree with it or not.

Well done to Mourinho - his achievements including this one are very impressive. Personally, I quite like his public persona as he's very funny and very clever but I'm glad he's not our manager anymore. I could see the logic in appointing him but the reality was horrible both in terms of the football and the atmosphere. Even when we were top I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have and did say at the time that it was only a matter of time until the roof fell in if we kept playing the same way.

In fairness, the guy is a winner and, at his peak, one of the greatest managers in the history of the game.

On the ECL, I haven't lost a night's sleep over it. Would have been nice to win but I wouldn't give up CL qualification for it. As trophies go, genuinely, it's kind of where the Simod Cup was in the 80s for me in terms of pecking order. And I don't think we even entered that.

Can't believe what I have read from some posters. We can't even win the Carabao since 2008 and we are dissing people winning a continental competition. First let's win it and then diss it. Not participate and be unable to make the knockouts, it is not a good look.

We had lost key matches before we forfeited our games due to COVID.

Can't believe what I have read from some posters. We can't even win the Carabao since 2008 and we are dissing people winning a continental competition. First let's win it and then diss it. Not participate and be unable to make the knockouts, it is not a good look.

Jose was complicit in that run too

Another trophy for Jose and fair play.
It's another reminder though of how far his stock has fallen...can you name any other 'elite-level' coaches that competed in the conference league this season (aside from Conte) or will be competing in the conference league next year?

We had lost key matches before we forfeited our games due to COVID.

We played the stiffs in a few games under Nuno. It's not dissing the competition to say we're not upset we didn't win it. It's taken Conte months to get the team moving in the direction it's moving in now. Key to that was not playing 2 games a week and having time between games to recover and work on his system in training. The ECL becomes a distraction particularly at the stage of evolution we were at. And CL qualification is much more important in my view in terms of bigger picture.

I want silverware like any fan regardless of what trophy it is. But did the LC under Graham do us any good as a club? Did the LC under Ramos do us any good?

Conversely, what Poch achieved at this club has helped us get a seat at the top table of European football and be taken seriously. For a couple of decades, we couldn't even see the top table from where we were.

Good luck to Jose and well done to him. But I don't have any envy for Roma.

Another trophy for Jose and fair play.
It's another reminder though of how far his stock has fallen...can you name any other 'elite-level' coaches that competed in the conference league this season (aside from Conte) or will be competing in the conference league next year?

His stock has fallen? Where? With Spurs fans? Do you think anyone is going to walk to Spurs fans and ask them opinions on how to win trophies?

And I make the post above with anguish. We sacked the dude before a final. Goodness knows what the impact of winning that cup would have done.

He got the Roma job and led them to their first European trophy. Don't get the need to denigrate this.

We played the stiffs in a few games under Nuno. It's not dissing the competition to say we're not upset we didn't win it. It's taken Conte months to get the team moving in the direction it's moving in now. Key to that was not playing 2 games a week and having time between games to recover and work on his system in training. The ECL becomes a distraction particularly at the stage of evolution we were at. And CL qualification is much more important in my view in terms of bigger picture.

I want silverware like any fan regardless of what trophy it is. But did the LC under Graham do us any good as a club? Did the LC under Ramos do us any good?

Conversely, what Poch achieved at this club has helped us get a seat at the top table of European football and be taken seriously. For a couple of decades, we couldn't even see the top table from where we were.

Good luck to Jose and well done to him. But I don't have any envy for Roma.

No one has asked you to envy Roma. However from my opinion, I remember the Ramos days fondly. It wasn't his fault that Berbatov / Keane were sold shortly afterwards.

Conte in Europe will be interesting. Dude doesn't do well in Europe. His best was Europa runner up in 2019/2020. His credentials in continental competition is quite low.

His stock has fallen? Where? With Spurs fans? Do you think anyone is going to walk to Spurs fans and ask them opinions on how to win trophies?

And I make the post above with anguish. We sacked the dude before a final. Goodness knows what the impact of winning that cup would have done.

He got the Roma job and led them to their first European trophy. Don't get the need to denigrate this.

Haters have got to hate.?

sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but i am happy to see a happy and smiling jose and roma, that was great, a bit of a fairytale, maybe not the hardest tourney, but hey we can't talk - as i keep reading, we only need to look at our trophy cabinet lol... here's to the future, I'm very excited with the summer possibilities and Conte hopefully getting players he wants in and we let go of players who don't want to stay, or don't fit with our needs - and Conte actually gets a pre-season !

Back