• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ENIC

feels like cheating, how can we do this and hold onto the moral superiority over Chelsea and city?

Are you joking? Surely you're joking.

Our owners are investing in us but make no mistake about it. This is no 'present', gift, nor or us buying a squad we wouldn't otherwise have with blood money.

We're not being taken over by a state, nor an oligarch.

This is a GENUINE investment. Not a Saudi, Russian or Qatari 'investment' - i.e. one which doesn't actually present any return for the investor and is all about ego boosts via conquering football by relentlessly and continuously throwing money until success is achieved.

It is an investment in the true sense of the word. ENIC are providing us with this money because they understand Conte has done tremendously well to get us back in the Champions League after a few years of poor decisions from the people at the top saw us slumping back to the kind of level we were at 2005-2010.

The money is going towards keeping us in the Champions League - and MAYBE having a cheeky dig at taking the step beyond that towards winning trophies, so that we may continue to grow our share price. It is absolutely something ENIC is doing with confidence that later they will profit from it.

Admittedly, knowing that we're being given this money purely in the hope that a return will be made on it to shareholders isn't exactly something that will go down as one of the great sporting stories if it works. It is purely a business decision.

But it certainly does not mean that we cannot hold moral superiority over Chelsea, City, Saudi Sportswashing Machine or PSG who continuously throw an unlimited source of money they print off themselves season after season until a result is achieved. In that situation success is a mere formality and not something that is earnt.

If after years of austerity ENIC have finally decided to put some of their own money into the club and we achieve success, that success is still very much earnt and hasn't come from the same money tree others use.

After final game of season, was a really good Klopp interview. He said (i paraphrase) "if you want to win big, you have to risk losing big".

That's something Levy/ENIC has consistently failed to do.

This is the first step, and time, we've looked at risking big. Let's fudging go.

After final game of season, was a really good Klopp interview. He said (i paraphrase) "if you want to win big, you have to risk losing big".

That's something Levy/ENIC has consistently failed to do.

This is the first step, and time, we've looked at risking big. Let's fudging go.
Which teams are risking losing big?

Liverpool, United & Arsenal spend within their means and City & Chelsea are bankrolled - there's no risk with any of those clubs - empty soundbite from Klopp

Tbf to Klopp i think he meant in terms of trying to win but sometimes losing the big important games. I don't think he was talking abut money per se, more about aims and ambitions

Are you joking? Surely you're joking.

Our owners are investing in us but make no mistake about it. This is no 'present', gift, nor or us buying a squad we wouldn't otherwise have with blood money.

We're not being taken over by a state, nor an oligarch.

This is a GENUINE investment. Not a Saudi, Russian or Qatari 'investment' - i.e. one which doesn't actually present any return for the investor and is all about ego boosts via conquering football by relentlessly and continuously throwing money until success is achieved.

It is an investment in the true sense of the word. ENIC are providing us with this money because they understand Conte has done tremendously well to get us back in the Champions League after a few years of poor decisions from the people at the top saw us slumping back to the kind of level we were at 2005-2010.

The money is going towards keeping us in the Champions League - and MAYBE having a cheeky dig at taking the step beyond that towards winning trophies, so that we may continue to grow our share price. It is absolutely something ENIC is doing with confidence that later they will profit from it.

Admittedly, knowing that we're being given this money purely in the hope that a return will be made on it to shareholders isn't exactly something that will go down as one of the great sporting stories if it works. It is purely a business decision.

But it certainly does not mean that we cannot hold moral superiority over Chelsea, City, Saudi Sportswashing Machine or PSG who continuously throw an unlimited source of money they print off themselves season after season until a result is achieved. In that situation success is a mere formality and not something that is earnt.

If after years of austerity ENIC have finally decided to put some of their own money into the club and we achieve success, that success is still very much earnt and hasn't come from the same money tree others use.

I think owner investment is cheating, clubs shouldn’t spend money on football things, that wasn’t earned by football things.

I think owner investment is cheating, clubs shouldn’t spend money on football things, that wasn’t earned by football things.

We will still be well within the new spending rules. Also almost all other owners have invested in their clubs.

FE8NcyaXMAMkzGD.jpeg

This doesn't even take into account the full effects of covid.

feels like cheating, how can we do this and hold onto the moral superiority over Chelsea and city?
Owners investing a fraction of their asset’s rise in value is anything but cheating. Cheating is defined via FFP and we have always been far too far on the right side of the FFP line.
This is exactly what I have been asking for for the last few years, I am absolutely thrilled.

Last edited:
Then instead think of it like this…. By building the new stadium our owners took their own wealth from £1b to £2b, while spending about £1.2b of the clubs money. They have therefore put in 15% of that wealth increase.

Owners investing a fraction of their assets rise in value is anything but cheating. Cheating is defined via FFP and we have always been far to far on the right side of the FFP line.
This is exactly what I have been asking for for the last few years, I am absolutely thrilled.

Just to clarify. As of june it will no longer be ffp but the new financial sustainability rules. Otherwise you are correct. We will be within them.

Tbf to Klopp i think he meant in terms of trying to win but sometimes losing the big important games. I don't think he was talking abut money per se, more about aims and ambitions

Yep but Liverpool have also been quite decisive in the market, it feels to me like a lot of their big transfers are closed quickly and quietly. They've also not been afraid to spend massive sums where needed which tallies with this statement e.g. VVD looked crazy expensive at 70m, Alisson was a fair whack etc.

Yep but Liverpool have also been quite decisive in the market, it feels to me like a lot of their big transfers are closed quickly and quietly. They've also not been afraid to spend massive sums where needed which tallies with this statement e.g. VVD looked crazy expensive at 70m, Alisson was a fair whack etc.

All about ambition from top to bottom imo

If I’m not mistaken our double was won because of investment in the team?

But I might well be wrong maybe someone around then like @parklane1 would know better?

I agree only money earnt should count, but I can’t see that changing anytime soon and even if that did become a rule, the football world and clubs earnings has already been skewed due to investment either way

If I’m not mistaken our double was won because of investment in the team?

But I might well be wrong maybe someone around then like @statlover1 would know better?

I agree only money earnt should count, but I can’t see that changing anytime soon and even if that did become a rule, the football world and clubs earnings has already been skewed due to investment either way

It was, which is why I don’t crow about it.

I climbed onto this high horse many years ago, I’m just struggling to find a technical excuse, as to why this is different, from that which I’ve used to define the achievements of others as invalid.

Back