• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Limp Struggle to Sneak into the top 4 2021/22

It puzzles me that people keep bringing up the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game at the end of the 15/16 season. We had nothing to play for in that game. Our title chase had left us deflated and given we had already clinched CL, I don't think the players gave a rat's ass if our final position would be 2nd or 3rd. They were just going through the motions to finish the season. This time around we have everything to play for. And we have Conte and a more mature team. Apples and oranges.
Poch was livid, said he brooded all summer. So was I because fudging Arse finished above us.

We should always have something to play for, they are bad professionals if they don't.
I don't disagree, but consider that moment: a young team still trying to find its bearings in an unexpected title chase that was probably perceived as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to win something big. If that's not deflating and leaving you numb, to the point that you have lost your motivation for the rest of the season (especially since you also have already clinched a CL spot), I don't know what is. Context is also important.

It puzzles me that people keep bringing up the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game at the end of the 15/16 season. We had nothing to play for in that game. Our title chase had left us deflated and given we had already clinched CL, I don't think the players gave a rat's ass if our final position would be 2nd or 3rd. They were just going through the motions to finish the season. This time around we have everything to play for. And we have Conte and a more mature team. Apples and oranges.

I guess as a comparison for what the other team, in both matches, may do it's relevant. But for us and Arsenal now going into the last game it's a very different situation.

Then we were deflated before the game, now we're chasing an aim that some months ago looked really difficult.

I do think what will the other lot do is an interesting and relevant question. I think teams with little to play for, both Everton and Norwich, either just safe from relegation or already relegated can give rather polarising performances.

Get a good start, smell blood and the chance of a somewhat rare positive experience and they may play well without any real pressure on their shoulders. Things start going wrong and they often don't have the grit or determination to fight back, end up "on the beech".

Some of that may be what happens in the buildup. Are they playing for their future, the chance to stay at the club, stay in the PL, get a move etc. But a lot of it I think depends on what happens in the game.

For that reason I really want us to start strongly, not necessarily all out attack or high pressing. But show our quality and composure on the ball, show defensive solidity. Don't give them a reason to raise their game by giving them a sniff of a positive result.

I guess as a comparison for what the other team, in both matches, may do it's relevant. But for us and Arsenal now going into the last game it's a very different situation.

Then we were deflated before the game, now we're chasing an aim that some months ago looked really difficult.

I do think what will the other lot do is an interesting and relevant question. I think teams with little to play for, both Everton and Norwich, either just safe from relegation or already relegated can give rather polarising performances.

Get a good start, smell blood and the chance of a somewhat rare positive experience and they may play well without any real pressure on their shoulders. Things start going wrong and they often don't have the grit or determination to fight back, end up "on the beech".

Some of that may be what happens in the buildup. Are they playing for their future, the chance to stay at the club, stay in the PL, get a move etc. But a lot of it I think depends on what happens in the game.

For that reason I really want us to start strongly, not necessarily all out attack or high pressing. But show our quality and composure on the ball, show defensive solidity. Don't give them a reason to raise their game by giving them a sniff of a positive result.

This a 100%. If we get an early goal and get going, we'll finish them off soon enough, but if we let them have a few chances and get some confidence, we could well be bricking the bed. I hope we go out all guns blazing to get an early goal, but I reckon Conte will be more pragmatic.

This a 100%. If we get an early goal and get going, we'll finish them off soon enough, but if we let them have a few chances and get some confidence, we could well be bricking the bed. I hope we go out all guns blazing to get an early goal, but I reckon Conte will be more pragmatic.

The risk with going out all guns blazing is that they get a goal or even good chances on the break to build confidence, belief and momentum.

Pragmatic is absolutely fine with me. But pragmatic with the quality we know we're capable of.

I have no problems with them having quite a bit of the ball early on. We're great on the break, and as long as we're solid defensively I think it's just as likely we score from a break in that situation compared to pressing them back into bus parking mode.

Not that I’m paranoid or anything
But you are, no really you are. Trust Colonel Conte to get the team's head in the right place and to allow our quality to shine through..........but don't look at the score till the game is over!

Just a game of football. I hope Conte manages the hype and pressure. Players need to focus on the simple fundamentals - defend, break, pass, move and finish well - and forget the rest.

Last edited:
Just a game of football. I hope Conte manages the hype and pressure. Players need to focus on the simple fundamentals - defend, break, pass, move and finish well - and forget the rest.
Conte is a proven winner. Up to the players to rise to the occasion.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Conte is a proven winner. Up to the players to rise to the occasion.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

These are the guys who bang on about wanting CL Football or they are off (well not all of them). If you cant see getting a point away to Norwich done and dusted, how are you going to go on up against the likes of PSG, Madrids and the Italians on high pressure games

If they mess it up, I dont want to see any players threatening to leave for CL Football somewhere else

These are the guys who bang on about wanting CL Football or they are off (well not all of them). If you cant see getting a point away to Norwich done and dusted, how are you going to go on up against the likes of PSG, Madrids and the Italians on high pressure games

If they mess it up, I dont want to see any players threatening to leave for CL Football somewhere else

Fudge up today and i want them gone.
Keep romero, kulu, Bentancur, the rest can get sold for pet food as far as I’m concerned.
Today is the day excuses run out, the cynic in me already thinks the rumours of certain players being ill is all too convenient.

Fudge up today and i want them gone.
Keep romero, kulu, Bentancur, the rest can get sold for pet food as far as I’m concerned.
Today is the day excuses run out, the cynic in me already thinks the rumours of certain players being ill is all too convenient.
Absolutely. Bar any force majeure like an alien invasion, local volcano eruption or similar, if they cannot secure a point against the bottom team they deserve nothing. And should the football gods intervene, something they're known to do from time to time, any player without cramp in every single muscle and in dire need of oxygen should simply be fired.

Back