• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

If we qualify for the CL and then target John McGinn then we might aswell not have qualified.

I think McGinn would be a good player for us for sure. But cost would be high I assume so perhaps should be better options at could target. Would have zero problems with us signing him though.

He'd be brilliant. Versatile, experienced, great passer, good eye for goal.

He's probably on crazy wages though. One for Saudi Sportswashing Machine, perhaps.

Really like Gundogan as a player, have for a long time. Think he might struggle a bit in our midfield two though.

A lot of running and intensity needed in our midfield two. Not sure Gundogan has the legs for it now, not all the time anyway.

Huge difference between playing in our midfield two and in Guardiola's midfield three.

Really like Gundogan as a player, have for a long time. Think he might struggle a bit in our midfield two though.

A lot of running and intensity needed in our midfield two. Not sure Gundogan has the legs for it now, not all the time anyway.

Huge difference between playing in our midfield two and in Guardiola's midfield three.
Fair point. Actually, I was thinking more him operating coming in from the left -- kind of like Modric did in his early season or two. He'd be an option instead of Sonny, boosting options in the middle of the pitch (and adding an extra body) with Sessegnon running outside him.

That would also give Kane a rotation option -- a front three of Gundogan--Sonny--Kulu might work. Especially with Eriksen behind them pulling the strings.

Federico Bernardeschi is free this summer, I remember he was highly rated 3 years ago, not sure now. Still 28

Attachments

• upload_2022-5-19_20-45-24.jpeg
    upload_2022-5-19_20-45-24.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 11
Eriksen and gundogan seem like no brainers to go for. Both prem proven, no huge transfer fees involved, although wages might be a problem for gundogan. The problem will be who else is in for them.

Eriksen could probably play in either wide attacking role. Can probably start in some games in central midfield. Don't think him in central midfield in bigger and tougher games is a great fit.

Think that makes him a pretty obvious target on a free. Less convinced by Gundogan. Don't think he's as natural a fit in wide attacking areas, same questions about fit in central midfield.

I think the current system asks quite a lot from our central midfielders defensively, work rate, stamina, discipline, aggression. All needed at a fairly high level imo. Often find themselves outnumbered to some degree at least.

Think any new dedicated CM signing should tick most of those defensive boxes. I don't think Gundogan does now. At times earlier in his career he did though. If we think he can still do that I would be fine with signing him.

So I might have this wrong - I thought we'd be tight up against the UEFA home grown player limit however non-HG players by my maths and per UEFA rules for next season comes to 15 if you ignore Gollini, Tubby and GLC (assume all leave). I believe that both Gil and Sarr would be on the Under-21 list (Gil only just, Sarr clearly) so they dont count towards our 17 player limit even if they do stay for next season:

Lloris
Royal
Doherty (not PL non-HG player)
Reguilon
Davies (not PL non-HG player)
Romero
Rodon (not PL non-HG player)
Sanchez
Dier
Hojbjerg
Bentancur
Bergwijn
Moura
Son
Kulu

So if you then assume:
- new LCB is non HG and we send Rodon out on loan
- new RWB replaces one of Royal or Doherty
- similarly with Moura and Bergwign and replaced with a Carlos Kickaball, if either of those go its net zero

then we're still at 15, so means that if Winks leaves we can replace with an overseas player, and similarly could sign a non-HG back-up to Kane

Could probably do with Sam Johnstone or Nick Pope joining as reserve keeper though.

Anything wrong with my maths?!?

So I might have this wrong - I thought we'd be tight up against the UEFA home grown player limit however non-HG players by my maths and per UEFA rules for next season comes to 15 if you ignore Gollini, Tubby and GLC (assume all leave). I believe that both Gil and Sarr would be on the Under-21 list (Gil only just, Sarr clearly) so they dont count towards our 17 player limit even if they do stay for next season:

Lloris
Royal
Reguilon
Romero
Sanchez
Dier
Hojbjerg
Bentancur
Bergwijn
Moura
Son
Kulu

So if you then assume:
- similarly with Moura and Bergwign and replaced with a Carlos Kickaball, if either of those go its net zero

then we're still at 15, so means that if Winks leaves we can replace with an overseas player, and similarly could sign a non-HG back-up to Kane

Could probably do with Sam Johnstone or Nick Pope joining as reserve keeper though.

Dier doesn’t count as HG. Edit - my mistake, your list is non-HG.

Lloris
Royal
Reguilon
Romero
Sanchez
Dier
Hojbjerg
Bentancur
Bergwijn
Moura
Son
Kulu

So if you then assume:

Can't spot anything wrong with your maths at a glance at least. Cheers for putting that together.

I think the swift decision making from Conte on players will prove helpful in this regard too. Good to see us have some flexibility with incoming non HG players.

I do think one or two more of our non HG players may be allowed to leave, but let's see what the summer brings.

I wouldn’t mind if gundogan even came for a year or two - doubtful conte would be here any longer anyway.

both he and Eriksen would give us options we don’t have - options to change the shape (3-5-2), or options to change it up during a game. How many times have we played the same way when we are unable to break down a stubborn opponent. No creativity to bring from the bench (or from out wide in to the centre)

Back