• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2021/22 Premier League Thread

My poor, delicate boy. Let me break it to you, bucko. Spurs will be, publicly, the most despised league champions or trophy winners. Some media members will give us our due, but the vast majority of, ahem, media experts, will pile on the popular narrative that Young Boys Islington are just a lightning flash away from greatness. We're just jammy benefactors of Arsenal's tenderness.

Oh my. I havent been called that for 50 years...:)

The other is Watford’s Sarr, apparently being gay is illegal in their country and you can get upto 5 years in prison.

Religious countries. They believe GHod has determined homosexuality to be a sin.

It's a nonsense view in my opinion but...

If we're going to respect religion or, at least allow people to follow what they want, the teachings of most churches are quite clear on homosexuality. So if the guy is Muslim and the religion fundamentally disagrees with homosexuality, is he entitled to not wear something in support of homosexuality? He's not discriminating as such, he's just refusing to support it in line with his religious beliefs.

I'm not religious in any way. There's a lot of church philosophy I agree with but I can't believe in an almighty being and find it hard to muster any support for an institution here (the Catholic church) who protected child rapists and treated women like brick for decades and then covered it up to protect their own interests. I also have absolutely no time for discrimination against gay people - it's no one else's business who anyone sleeps with or marries or falls in love with. I do think this is an interesting question though...does the guy have a right to his religion?

If we're going to respect religion or, at least allow people to follow what they want, the teachings of most churches are quite clear on homosexuality. So if the guy is Muslim and the religion fundamentally disagrees with homosexuality, is he entitled to not wear something in support of homosexuality? He's not discriminating as such, he's just refusing to support it in line with his religious beliefs.

I'm not religious in any way. There's a lot of church philosophy I agree with but I can't believe in an almighty being and find it hard to muster any support for an institution here (the Catholic church) who protected child rapists and treated women like brick for decades and then covered it up to protect their own interests. I also have absolutely no time for discrimination against gay people - it's no one else's business who anyone sleeps with or marries or falls in love with. I do think this is an interesting question though...does the guy have a right to his religion?

I'm the same non religious and it's up to people who they fall in love or want to have sex with. As long as it's consensual.

I don't think a football pitch is a place for these types of political gestures. Because they can be very complicated. Should just be kept for football. If players off the pitch want to support these causes then great. But kt should be their choice not something they are pressured into.

It does actually raise another awkward question I hadn't thought of. There are a lot of high profile Muslim players in the league. I'm using Islam just because it's the religion mentioned in the case above by the way not because I think it's the only religion who disagrees with homosexuality and I'm sure not all Muslims would be vehemently homophobic anyway. However, does that discourage players from coming out?

I'm going to use two players for illustrative purposes who aren't religious, homophobic or gay (as far as I know). Dane Scarlett is gay. Harry Kane is religious. Harry Kane refuses to share a dressing room with Scarlett and doesn't want to play with him.

Is the club brave enough to take on Kane? Will Scarlett be shunned for bringing out the worst in our star player? Will Scarlett, as a kid, be terrified of tinkling off a club in this way?

It's abit of a push to fall back on scriptures over 2000 years old to discriminate in the modern world. I respect people who follow religion I don't respect people who can't take a step back and see the difference between right and wrong without needing a book or a priest to tell them.

Not a dig at you at all but if someone said they were homophobic because their dad was you wouldn't stand it and rightfully so, for me that's the same.as religion

It does actually raise another awkward question I hadn't thought of. There are a lot of high profile Muslim players in the league. I'm using Islam just because it's the religion mentioned in the case above by the way not because I think it's the only religion who disagrees with homosexuality and I'm sure not all Muslims would be vehemently homophobic anyway. However, does that discourage players from coming out?

I'm going to use two players for illustrative purposes who aren't religious, homophobic or gay (as far as I know). Dane Scarlett is gay. Harry Kane is religious. Harry Kane refuses to share a dressing room with Scarlett and doesn't want to play with him.

Is the club brave enough to take on Kane? Will Scarlett be shunned for bringing out the worst in our star player? Will Scarlett, as a kid, be terrified of tinkling off a club in this way?
It wouldn't be just about taking on Kane in that scenario though. Most players would be supportive of the gay player and the vast majority of the fan base.
Club can't tinkle off all the rest of the players and the fans to keep one player happy no matter how good he is.

Personally I detest religion, it's been the cause of a lot of the issues and wars in the world for centuries. At the same time I do believe in everyone's right to follow their religious beliefs as long as it isn't impacting on any one else. Everyone should have the right to not wear a symbol if they don't want to. McClean is a fudging taco, but he shouldn't get abuse for not wearing the poppy, players shouldn't feel forced to kneel if they don't want to, and they shouldn't have to wear a rainbow symbol if they don't want to. If they are actively being racist or homophobic etc that is a totally different story.

It's abit of a push to fall back on scriptures over 2000 years old to discriminate in the modern world. I respect people who follow religion I don't respect people who can't take a step back and see the difference between right and wrong without needing a book or a priest to tell them.

Not a dig at you at all but if someone said they were homophobic because their dad was you wouldn't stand it and rightfully so, for me that's the same.as religion

Are you then denying players a right to adhere to their religious beliefs?

And this guy hasn't actually discriminated against gay people as such. He's just refused to support it. In principle, from what we know so far, what he's done is the same as some of the players who have refused to take the knee.

It wouldn't be just about taking on Kane in that scenario though. Most players would be supportive of the gay player and the vast majority of the fan base.
Club can't tinkle off all the rest of the players and the fans to keep one player happy no matter how good he is.

Personally I detest religion, it's been the cause of a lot of the issues and wars in the world for centuries. At the same time I do believe in everyone's right to follow their religious beliefs as long as it isn't impacting on any one else. Everyone should have the right to not wear a symbol if they don't want to. McClean is a fudging taco, but he shouldn't get abuse for not wearing the poppy, players shouldn't feel forced to kneel if they don't want to, and they shouldn't have to wear a rainbow symbol if they don't want to. If they are actively being racist or homophobic etc that is a totally different story.

I think I agree with all of that. It's a hornets nest though because you then get charges levelled against the game of not doing enough to support LGBTQ+ players. The danger here is assuming that all players think the way the vast majority of people think. They don't and that in itself, aside from the macarons in the crowd, could cause problems.

And this guy hasn't actually discriminated against gay people as such. He's just refused to support it. In principle, from what we know so far, what he's done is the same as some of the players who have refused to take the knee.

There is a difference between not drinking and not recognising someones right to be gay.

If you are saying you won't support what's seen a a freedom of life because of religion then no I don't respect that aspect.

This where it all gets a bit murky, someone's rights are going to get trampled.
Nobody wins.

Back