• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Apart from the joy of playing again, I think the World Cup is his priority. Staying in the positive environment at Brentford makes more sense this year.

Why do you think Eriksens performance slumped towards the end of his stay here? Was it because of a fallout with the coach or other players? Is it a risk it happens again when he's back?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Why do you think Eriksens performance slumped towards the end of his stay here? Was it because of a fallout with the coach or other players? Is it a risk it happens again when he's back?

Based on absolutely nothing, I think he was burnt out. He broke on to the scene young, becoming first choice CM for club and country at the age of 18, and barely had a break for ten years before he left us. All the while being a key playmaker and putting in more miles than anyone else. After Dembele moved on, the pressure on Eriksen to make something happen must have been immense.

Then, after that CL final, half our team were broken mentally anyway. It's an unfortunate choice of metaphor, but I just don't think Eriksen's heart was in it any more. If not a rest, he at least needed a change of scenery.

Now he's had an enforced break where he's been forced to think about his life choices. He looks pretty motivated to me.

Plus he's basically a zombie.

Last edited:
Based on absolutely nothing, I think he was burnt out. He broke on to the scene young, being first choice CM for a club and country from the age of 18, and barely had a break for ten years before he left us. All the while being a key playmaker and putting in more miles than anyone else. After Dembele moved on, the pressure on Eriksen to make something happen must have been immense.

Then, after that CL final, half our team were broken mentally anyway. It's an unfortunate choice of metaphor, but I just don't think Eriksen's heart was in it any more.

Now he's had an enforced break where he's been forced to think about his life choices. He looks pretty motivated to me.

Plus he's basically a zombie.
Feels like it. Maybe Dele was burnt out too. A key reason why I think Poch can't be a great coach, like what we saw with Bielsa, the inability to keep regenerating a team by not over relying on key personalities.

The implosion of Leeds looks exactly like what we went through. Players sub par overnight and seemingly unable to return to previous levels.

Feels like it. Maybe Dele was burnt out too. A key reason why I think Poch can't be a great coach, like what we saw with Bielsa, the inability to keep regenerating a team by not over relying on key personalities.

The implosion of Leeds looks exactly like what we went through. Players sub par overnight and seemingly unable to return to previous levels.

I've said it before, but I think the real genius of Alex Ferguson was his ability to rebuild a squad. He built not one, but several great Man United teams, methodically replacing defenders, attackers and midfielders with what in hindsight seems to have been perfect timing.

Poch never got a chance to rebuild tbf - it would have been interesting to see how he would have fared in that regard

I've said it before, but I think the real genius of Alex Ferguson was his ability to rebuild a squad. He built not one, but several great Man United teams, methodically replacing defenders, attackers and midfielders with what in hindsight seems to have been perfect timing.

It's something I can't think that many other managers have done. Wenger maybe rebuilt once (from 98ish to the 2004 team), Jose never really has, I wouldn't call anything Pep's done a rebuild, be interesting to see how Klopp does once Salah, Mane and VVD go. Even Cloughie didn't rebuild a side that reached previous heights.

It's why Fergie, in my view, might have been a horrible clam but he was the best manager in the history of the game.

Poch never got a chance to rebuild tbf - it would have been interesting to see how he would have fared in that regard
The rebuild should have started two seasons before Poch left, with replacements for Dembele, the CDs, and maybe even that mythical backup CF being brought in. Instead, we seemed to get a stream of bit-part players who either weren't good enough or would have taken the standard 2 seasons to integrate.

Whether it's Levy being too tight, the scouts being too blind, or Poch himself being too focussed on the perfect player, our recruitment during that time was awful. We've clearly got lucky with Romero, Bentancur and Kulusevski all hitting the ground running, but we should have made at least a couple more signings like that along the way.

Don't get me wrong. I love Poch and always will. But the recruitment under his tenure was poor.

Last edited:
The rebuild should have started two seasons before Poch left, with replacements for Dembele, the CMs, and maybe even that mythical backup CF being brought in. Instead, we seemed to get a stream of bit-part players who either weren't good enough or would have taken the standard 2 seasons to integrate.

Whether it's Levy being too tight, the scouts being too blind, or Poch himself being too focussed on the perfect player, our recruitment during that time was awful. We've clearly got lucky with Romero, Bentancur and Kulusevski all hitting the ground running, but we should have made at least a couple more signings like that along the way.

Don't get me wrong. I love Poch and always will. But the recruitment under his tenure was poor.

I think of the few managers who have rebuilt teams successfully at the same club, none will have done so contending with a stadium build and having to balance the books.

Wenger was unsuccessful at it and he had already proven himself capable of building 2 title winning teams.

I think he tried to do the job piecemeal (Mane & Wijnaldum for example) but was let down.

I'm not looking to open this particular can of worms again I'm just pointing out that he didn't get a fair crack at rebuilding the team due to circumstance and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the stadium build wasn't an issue (or if he had got more time once we had moved in)

It's something I can't think that many other managers have done. Wenger maybe rebuilt once (from 98ish to the 2004 team), Jose never really has, I wouldn't call anything Pep's done a rebuild, be interesting to see how Klopp does once Salah, Mane and VVD go. Even Cloughie didn't rebuild a side that reached previous heights.

It's why Fergie, in my view, might have been a horrible clam but he was the best manager in the history of the game.
Moyes did well at Everton developing lots of youth as well. He would have done well at Spurs, where he wouldn't have to deal too much with player egos.

Back