• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

What makes Son world class for me is his exceptional control of the ball at high speed allied to his outstanding shot accuracy with both feet. Indeed, when it comes to shot accuracy, Son is way ahead of the rest, as is borne out by this BBC list of current top strikers' PL shot accuracy stats for 2021/22

Shot accuracy % / player / (goals scored)

70% - Son (19)
59% - De Bruyne (11)
59% - Salah (22)
58% - Mane (14)
58% - Zaha (12)
57% - Ronaldo (18)
55% - Saka (11)
54% - Kane (13)
51% - Mahrez (11)
50% - Toney (12)
49% - Jota (15)

Son also tops the BBC percentage charts for 'Goal Conversion' (meaning presumably the number of chances each player converts into goals).

But of course, even world class players have their weaknesses. Long-standing fans will remember only too well how Glenn Hoddle got pilloried left, right and centre for his supposedly poor work-rate, yet few would deny that GHod was world class.

One of Son's biggest weaknesses is perceived to be his vulnerability in possession. All too often he seems to yield possession way too cheaply. But I would argue that in many if not most instances, this is because he is actually given little or no chance. The moment he receives the ball he will be surrounded by two, three, or more opponents all hell bent on unloading him at any cost. Coaches know that once he is allowed a bit of space he can be lethal, therefore they doubtless instruct their players to either hound him down or, failing that, hack him down rather than let him get away from them.

It's why I believe we ought cut him a bit more slack than he is usually allowed.

The fact is that in Son we have one VERY special player, so for me it's just sad that some fans seem unwilling to give him full credit.
That shot accuracy stat is really interesting.
He's always been great at hitting the target - but this season you can see why he could be accused of being shot shy.
Based on the above, he's just been concentrating on using the ball effectively

Imagine if he got injured or Real came for him recognising the potential for shirt sales. Who are we going to replace him with?

fudging VAR. And Sky didn’t even show a replay. That lanky bald prick should have had 2-3 yellows and a red on the night. Constantly fouling us just as we were breaking their press. And that one was just assault. So infuriating.

Nowhere near the level of Son unfortunately

I agree he's not as good as Son, but he's closer to that skill set in that position than anyone else in the squad or anyone else we could buy.

He'd be a fine replacement, and would be an automatic starter at pretty much any other club.

No way Oliver was sending off any Pool players yesterday, as you say he should have been booked 4 times and sent off

Funny how he demonstratively kept the cards in his pocket from the start. He could've chosen to hard out yellows quite early on, but didn't - if I was wearing my tin foil hat, I might've suspected something fishy. :rolleyes:

Excellent performance, had a huge impact on the match. Understandably tinkled to get taken off with 20 minutes left, can't say it wasn't harsh but also can't say it was the wrong decision by Conte. Instant karma for Holding who was trying too hard to bully instead of playing football.

Credit where it is due, he had a great game, off the ball he worked his socks off and actually used his body to protect the ball. Best all round performance for a long time imo.

Back