• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Things we hate about modern football

Not sure if it's been mentioned but players that now have their first name/nicknames on the back of their shirt! I can only accept it if you have a long name (E.g. most Brazilians) but why the f**k has Virgil Van Dijk been allowed to change his to Virgil this season? What's that about!?

kuntz.jpg

Not sure if it's been mentioned but players that now have their first name/nicknames on the back of their shirt! I can only accept it if you have a long name (E.g. most Brazilians) but why the f**k has Virgil Van Dijk been allowed to change his to Virgil this season? What's that about!?
This irritates me far too much too! The final nail in the coffin will be when someone wants to be identified by a symbol!

Last edited:
It doesn’t bother me, the only real world impact I can see is that fewer letters make kids replica kits cheaper.

Apparently it's been specially approved as an homage to his dead father

Virgil_Tracy.jpg

Traore changing to 'Adama' bugs me too. Oh well, Guess there are bigger things to worry about in the world hey!

Traore changing to 'Adama' bugs me too. Oh well, Guess there are bigger things to worry about in the world hey!

Tbf it differentiates him from the other traores. Name on the back is so you, the ref and the commentators can tell who they are more easily.

Tbf it differentiates him from the other traores. Name on the back is so you, the ref and the commentators can tell who they are more easily.

No I get it, But no commentator is calling him Adama are they? Just feels like they have caved in to players wanting to change it. Even if Wolves/Barca had 2 x Traore's on the pitch they should go with A.Traore and B.Traore etc. like they used to do.

No I get it, But no commentator is calling him Adama are they? Just feels like they have caved in to players wanting to change it. Even if Wolves/Barca had 2 x Traore's on the pitch they should go with A.Traore and B.Traore etc. like they used to do.

what have we lost by letting them choose?

Surely the number on the back of the shirt achieves that ...

Names whether they are first names, surnames or nicknames are unnecessary

The knowledge of everyone's first name/surnames! If everyone did it and there was a load of Steve's, John's or Michael's then it would be weird right?

*I didn't say it was a rational argument lol

If I was a top footballer with a very boring English first name, I'd insist on having it on my shirt. Like Pat or Bob or something. That would teach em.

The knowledge of everyone's first name/surnames! If everyone did it and there was a load of Steve's, John's or Michael's then it would be weird right?

*I didn't say it was a rational argument lol

there are loads of jones and smiths, nobody complained about that

Back