• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Limp Struggle to Sneak into the top 4 2021/22

I definitely think that we are victims of being the most hated team by three local rivals. Chelsea would never down tools to play us - just think back to Battle of the Bridge - the motivation to prevent us winning the league was almost as high as if they were going for it themselves. West Ham to a lesser extent - yet when they play Arsenal in an end of season game that will have little tangible incentive they massively drop intensity levels. I fear West Ham will do the same next weekend.

I do wonder if this is the stage where Conte should employ the old "Fergie mind games".
It would be very easy for him to call out Chelsea's performance in his press conference - either this weekend and refer to United downing tools and/or mention West Ham next weekend. He could question the integrity of the league and shine a spotlight on any downing of tools or distractions with Europe.
Effectively we can do that without worry because we don't have to play either of those teams in the remainder of the season.
Personally I'd be referring to it every single week from now to the end of the season because if it fires up just one of those teams that Arsenal have left to play it will have been worth it.

I do wonder if this is the stage where Conte should employ the old "Fergie mind games".
It would be very easy for him to call out Chelsea's performance in his press conference - either this weekend and refer to United downing tools and/or mention West Ham next weekend. He could question the integrity of the league and shine a spotlight on any downing of tools or distractions with Europe.
Effectively we can do that without worry because we don't have to play either of those teams in the remainder of the season.
Personally I'd be referring to it every single week from now to the end of the season because if it fires up just one of those teams that Arsenal have left to play it will have been worth it.
West Ham won’t give a fudge what Conte says. They will be looking after their own interests, they have a Europa League semi final and the chance to win a trophy and CL football. Whatever Conte says will not make the slightest bit of difference to anyone there, and they don’t like Spurs anyway….

Why can it never be

We need to focus on our own games and get as many points as we can. The nld is looking bigger each week.

West Ham won’t give a fudge what Conte says. They will be looking after their own interests, they have a Europa League semi final and the chance to win a trophy and CL football. Whatever Conte says will not make the slightest bit of difference to anyone there, and they don’t like Spurs anyway….

Ditto re Leicester - European semi, chance to win a trophy etc

Yes, Chelsea were poor. Missing both Jorginho and Kovacic in CM meant they had no control, and that was made worse by Thiago Silva starting on the bench and their non-scoring CF (Lukaku) playing too

Arse caught them at a good time

Don't forget Rudiger.
Jorghino, Kovacic, Rudiger...essentially their base platform.

The only difference is. West Ham wont be bothered if they win or lose v Arsenal, but believe me, Leicester even if they play a weakened will still be fired up against us
All this worrying about other teams situations and how ‘fired up’ they are or have ‘something to play for’ is nonsense. We are fighting for top 4 spot and if we aren’t at least as motivated as the opposition regardless of their situation then it is just another damning indictment of our mentality problems….

All this worrying about other teams situations and how ‘fired up’ they are or have ‘something to play for’ is nonsense. We are fighting for top 4 spot and if we aren’t at least as motivated as the opposition regardless of their situation then it is just another damning indictment of our mentality problems….

Very true. I think it is hard for us to remember how broken we were when Conte came in versus the fact we're even in the conversation now! But you're right, now we're there we need to make it count. I do think in Conte we have someone unafraid to make the moves we need to make as a club.

As of now, at our gw 32, we cannot be overtaken by :-

Southampton ... ... ... ... 21/4
Brighton .. ... ... ... ... 20/4

Crystal P .. ... ... ... ... 20/4
Brentford .. ... ... ... ... 9/4
Saudi Sportswashing Machine .. ... ... ... ... 9/4
Everton ... ... ... ... ... 6/4
Leeds .. ... ... ... ... ... 3/4
Burnley ... ... ... ... ... 3/4
Watford ... ... ... ... ... 20/3
Norwich City ... ... ... ... 13/3

Top half finish squared away, now to grind out ugly wins at the minimum.

Alas, we cannot catch :-

Emirates Marketing Project
Liverpool​

Its embarrassing really, always seems to be an excuse why we’ve not done something as it can’t possibly be our fault.

Just like in every game the referee is against us...I think if you read back on OMTs on here, you'd struggle to find any game where it was acknowledged that we got the balance of the decisions in our favour
The referee in the Brighton game was bad for both sides
He was just bad at his job

I have got a feeling that we are going to drop points tomorrow.

I’d say “Worst OMT ever” but the recent inadvertent double effort that screamed “I don’t season my food” probably surpasses it in terms of awfulness.

Not saying I don’t disagree mind, it’s going to be a tough game.

Chelsea treated that game like a testimonial....much as they did in the same fixture towards the end of last season (Arsenal won 1-0 when Jorginho inexplicably misplaced a backpass that gave Smith Rowe a tap in) so they have previous for this.

I definitely think that we are victims of being the most hated team by three local rivals. Chelsea would never down tools to play us - just think back to Battle of the Bridge - the motivation to prevent us winning the league was almost as high as if they were going for it themselves. West Ham to a lesser extent - yet when they play Arsenal in an end of season game that will have little tangible incentive they massively drop intensity levels. I fear West Ham will do the same next weekend.

I'm not being a conspiracist - just reflecting that whatever the genesis of the rivalry between us and them is is so intense that we never get a free ride in the same way that Woolwich do.

Alas, should we not finish 4th it will be almost exclusively to our own shortcomings but last night was incredibly annoying to watch.

I have made this point previously. Also Leicester and Palace also dislike us intensely. Add to that the traditional top 4 as in City, Chelsea (again) United and Pool and we problema face more rivalry than any other Premier team.

I have got a feeling that we are going to drop points tomorrow.

A lot of people are tipping that and expecting goons to turn over united.

Makes me more confident that we will win and goons will lose. Can brentford deal with the pressure of being expected to win? I’m sure they prefer playing the underdog and we definitely dont excel being the favourite.

As for the goons lets not forget they played chelsea reserves and will continue to badly miss tierney and partey, whilst united have the ten haag boost and a returning varane, mctominay and ronaldo.

I fancy two away wins of 1-3.

Makes me more confident that we will win and goons will lose. Can brentford deal with the pressure of being expected to win? I’m sure they prefer playing the underdog and we definitely dont excel being the favourite.

As for the goons lets not forget they played chelsea reserves and will continue to badly miss tierney and partey, whilst united have the ten haag boost and a returning varane, mctominay and ronaldo.

Can Brentford win 4 on the spin
And can united suffer another big defeat
These are things that have an influence on how teams play and the pressure it brings

I see that Utd have Varane, McTominay and Ronaldo back - makes the spine of their team far stronger than Phil Jones, Pogba and whoever came in for Ronaldo last week

I fancy Utd to get something today, possibly even win. They'll be level with us and Arse if they do win, albeit with more games played and harder games to come

I also think we'll win too as I dont think Brentford are the sort of team which strangle you - those are the sort of teams which we struggle against at the moment

I see that Utd have Varane, McTominay and Ronaldo back - makes the spine of their team far stronger than Phil Jones, Pogba and whoever came in for Ronaldo last week

I fancy Utd to get something today, possibly even win. They'll be level with us and Arse if they do win, albeit with more games played and harder games to come

I also think we'll win too as I dont think Brentford are the sort of team which strangle you - those are the sort of teams which we struggle against at the moment
Agree with this

Back