• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Much like the uk in general voting in this tory lot, i'm always surprised how the snp get voted in up here.
The sad truth though is that there is no real opposition to speak of and people go for the status quo.
Better the devil you know.

Yep.

I don't hate the Conservatives and even if Labour are not at their vintage best it has long since passed the time where the Conservatives were kicked out.

They need 5 years in opposition to come up with some decent ideas.

I mentioned earlier I am unhappy with them selling off UK companies. At their best they deregulate and allow the free market to boost innovation. This lot are not doing that. It seems to me we have all the negatives of the Conservatives with non of the benefits, ie tax cuts.

Yep.

I don't hate the Conservatives and even if Labour are not at their vintage best it has long since passed the time where the Conservatives were kicked out.

They need 5 years in opposition to come up with some decent ideas.

I mentioned earlier I am unhappy with them selling off UK companies. At their best they deregulate and allow the free market to boost innovation. This lot are not doing that. It seems to me we have all the negatives of the Conservatives with non of the benefits, ie tax cuts.

Their not conseratives at all, same as Labour are no longer really Labour and the lib dems are just a joke.

I personally feel Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland should all be independent.

I feel we’re a long way from a situation in which N Ireland votes to leave the UK. The British state is the largest single employer there. And there is also the issue of whether the Republic could afford NI - and whether people in the South really want the border to disappear.

There’s hardly a person alive now on the island who can remember when the two countries were one.

So Sunak has been increasing taxes for the proles, whilst at the same time declaring himself as domiciled in a foreign country, (explains the green Card.) In the meantime his wife has declared herself a foreign national, despite living in Britain so as to avoid paying tax. The Tories, don't you just love their morality. Of course doing their bit to support the precious NHS and all too.

Last edited:
So Sunak has been increasing taxes for the proles, whilst at the same time declaring himself as domiciled in a foreign country, (explains the green Card.) In the meantime his wife has declared herself a foreign national, despite living in Britain so as to avoid paying tax. The Tories, don't you just love their morality. Of course doing their bit to support he precious NHS and all too.

Absolutely appalling hypocrisy.

Also read this, this morning:

£6.3bn foreign takeover of one of Britain's biggest defence companies has moved a step closer after it won backing from Brussels.

The sale of Coventry-based Meggitt has been cleared by the European Commission, which said that the company's US buyer Parker-Hannifin had satisfied its competition requirements.

Kwasi Kwarteng, the British Business Secretary, is yet to give his blessing to the deal in the wake of national security concerns. Meggitt makes brakes used on more than 70,000 civil and military aircraft, and supplies parts for the RAF Typhoon jet fighter.

Parker will sell its Ohio-based aircraft wheel and brake division as part of the deal.

In a statement, the commission said: "The remedy package offered by Parker will preserve competition in these markets and ensure that aerospace and defence customers have access to sufficient choice of component suppliers and will continue benefiting from competitive prices."

Advertisement

replay-button.png

Mr Kwarteng ordered an investigation into the takeover by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), which handed its report to him last month.

Although there is no deadline for the Business Secretary to decide whether he is satisfied, requires further remedies or would like a full investigation, Parker still aims to complete the deal by late summer this year.

The CMA has also submitted a report to Mr Kwaerteng regarding risks relating to the £2.6bn proposed takeover of Ultra Electronics, which makes parts for the Royal Navy's nuclear submarine fleet.

Its prospective buyer, the US private equity firm Advent International, is awaiting his view on that deal too.

The two proposed deals are facing heightened scrutiny after the sale of air refuelling company Cobham to US private equity firm Advent two years ago.

Cobham was snapped up by Advent for £4bn despite concerns that this posed a national security risk because of its sensitive British military contracts.

Advent made promises to ease concerns, including a pledge to protect its UK footprint and inform ministers of potential sales of parts of Cobham.

Absolutely appalling hypocrisy.

Also read this, this morning:

£6.3bn foreign takeover of one of Britain's biggest defence companies has moved a step closer after it won backing from Brussels.

The sale of Coventry-based Meggitt has been cleared by the European Commission, which said that the company's US buyer Parker-Hannifin had satisfied its competition requirements.

Kwasi Kwarteng, the British Business Secretary, is yet to give his blessing to the deal in the wake of national security concerns. Meggitt makes brakes used on more than 70,000 civil and military aircraft, and supplies parts for the RAF Typhoon jet fighter.

Parker will sell its Ohio-based aircraft wheel and brake division as part of the deal.

In a statement, the commission said: "The remedy package offered by Parker will preserve competition in these markets and ensure that aerospace and defence customers have access to sufficient choice of component suppliers and will continue benefiting from competitive prices."

Advertisement

replay-button.png

Mr Kwarteng ordered an investigation into the takeover by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), which handed its report to him last month.

Although there is no deadline for the Business Secretary to decide whether he is satisfied, requires further remedies or would like a full investigation, Parker still aims to complete the deal by late summer this year.

The CMA has also submitted a report to Mr Kwaerteng regarding risks relating to the £2.6bn proposed takeover of Ultra Electronics, which makes parts for the Royal Navy's nuclear submarine fleet.

Its prospective buyer, the US private equity firm Advent International, is awaiting his view on that deal too.

The two proposed deals are facing heightened scrutiny after the sale of air refuelling company Cobham to US private equity firm Advent two years ago.

Cobham was snapped up by Advent for £4bn despite concerns that this posed a national security risk because of its sensitive British military contracts.

Advent made promises to ease concerns, including a pledge to protect its UK footprint and inform ministers of potential sales of parts of Cobham.

We’ve got a cabinet which consists of a number of people who have made vast sums of money through asset-stripping so this kind of thing is exactly what we can expect.

I feel we’re a long way from a situation in which N Ireland votes to leave the UK. The British state is the largest single employer there. And there is also the issue of whether the Republic could afford NI - and whether people in the South really want the border to disappear.

There’s hardly a person alive now on the island who can remember when the two countries were one.
Yes still a way to go on this though I think it will certainly happen in my lifetime.

From a southern perspective on the desire to reunite the island, yes I would say there is certainly a latent desire among most to make this happen, but it would not be high up the concern list for many. That sentiment could be changed though. As we've seen with Brexit you can take something that most people have little to no concern over (i.e. EU membership) and ramp it up to a hot topic if you have the will and motivation. If Sinn Fein gets power north and south I think they'll be banging this drum incessantly.

Yes still a way to go on this though I think it will certainly happen in my lifetime.

From a southern perspective on the desire to reunite the island, yes I would say there is certainly a latent desire among most to make this happen, but it would not be high up the concern list for many. That sentiment could be changed though. As we've seen with Brexit you can take something that most people have little to no concern over (i.e. EU membership) and ramp it up to a hot topic if you have the will and motivation. If Sinn Fein gets power north and south I think they'll be banging this drum incessantly.

Is it like the idea of an independent Scotland, a lot of support in an emotional sense, but little in a practical sense?
I know a few people who are very soft supporters of indy, but the massive gamble of it terrifies them.

Is it like the idea of an independent Scotland, a lot of support in an emotional sense, but little in a practical sense?
I know a few people who are very soft supporters of indy, but the massive gamble of it terrifies them.
Yes, similar but not exactly the same IMO. It would be less of a sense of fear and more of apathy would be my read. There is a myth that it would break the state financially but that is exaggerated and the EU would chip in no doubt. That is used as an excuse to dodge the question by some and it is really just a regurgitation of an argument they might have overheard. I think it is more that the question of unity is not really seen as a priority even among those that consider it, and it is not considered at all by most. There is no inertia being generated on the topic. There is however growing support for Sinn Fein south of the border, so they will likely make it a more prominent issue in the future.

In Scotland the dye is already in the water as you've had an indy referendum before. The question has already been asked. So in that way it is different from the situation in Ireland.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61083402

Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak to be fined over lockdown parties

Of course he'll resign now. Obviously. <sarcasm>

He'll face it down, continue to pretend he's single-handedly saving Ukraine so can't possibly resign and his backbenchers will bottle out of a no confidence vote. Local elections will be the sacrificial lamb but a price worth paying for Johnson to save his (thick, teflon) skin.

It wont happen, but the decent thing to happen would be for a back bench coup to install an interim leader for a year with immediate effect (and someone who hasn't been in cabinet since the GE). Basically rip up to Tory party leadership election process for the national interest.

He has repeatedly lied to Parliament. Never mind the law breaking, that is very clearly a resignation matter.

He has repeatedly lied to Parliament. Never mind the law breaking, that is very clearly a resignation matter.

Of course it is. But he won't.
I was just reading that Boris is alleged to have attended at least 6 'gatherings', so there could be more fines to come. In which case blagging his way through it may become more difficult - but we all know he doesn't care, the only thing that will make him go is if he loses a vote of no confidence and is forced out - and there's no sign just now of that happening.

The people in number 10 were not overly bothered by Covid whilst stopping the rest of the country from functioning.

I’m not even sure Johnson had Covid

Of course it is. But he won't.
I was just reading that Boris is alleged to have attended at least 6 'gatherings', so there could be more fines to come. In which case blagging his way through it may become more difficult - but we all know he doesn't care, the only thing that will make him go is if he loses a vote of no confidence and is forced out - and there's no sign just now of that happening.

Looks like they are sinking to the levels of using Ukraine as the reason he shouldn’t go.

What could be better than for the country to be led by a discredited criminal liar in the midst of a serious international crisis?

Yes, similar but not exactly the same IMO. It would be less of a sense of fear and more of apathy would be my read. There is a myth that it would break the state financially but that is exaggerated and the EU would chip in no doubt. That is used as an excuse to dodge the question by some and it is really just a regurgitation of an argument they might have overheard. I think it is more that the question of unity is not really seen as a priority even among those that consider it, and it is not considered at all by most. There is no inertia being generated on the topic. There is however growing support for Sinn Fein south of the border, so they will likely make it a more prominent issue in the future.

In Scotland the dye is already in the water as you've had an indy referendum before. The question has already been asked. So in that way it is different from the situation in Ireland.

Thanks for the reply.
Are SF getting more support now because they have become a more rounded party, not just party known for one policy?
For me that where salmond won large support in scotland, he took an attitude that if we can govern well and be seen to govern well we will win through in the end.
The ref came to early for him, sturgeon has all but destroyed all his work.

Thanks for the reply.
Are SF getting more support now because they have become a more rounded party, not just party known for one policy?
For me that where salmond won large support in scotland, he took an attitude that if we can govern well and be seen to govern well we will win through in the end.
The ref came to early for him, sturgeon has all but destroyed all his work.
There is more than one reason for the increase in their support I would say, but certainly, a more rounded policy platform makes them more palatable and widens their base. Their politicians are better at playing the game, and it also helps that the other main parties are not as popular for various reasons. They made some strategic errors in the last election by not running enough candidates but they won't make that mistake again. I could easily see them in some sort of ruling coallition next time out.

Back