• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

So much of his game was brilliant yesterday but the two blocks in about 10 seconds at 0-0, one which blocked a certain goal, were unbelievable.

Agreed. If we're talking about the same situations. First stopped Saint Maximin in full flight, then in position and excellent block. So good, so important.

Saint Maximin gives most teams a real challenge. I guess he was a challenge for us too, but usually it was just until he ran into a full stop facing Romero.

Agreed. If we're talking about the same situations. First stopped Saint Maximin in full flight, then in position and excellent block. So good, so important.

Saint Maximin gives most teams a real challenge. I guess he was a challenge for us too, but usually it was just until he ran into a full stop facing Romero.

ASM absolutely destroyed Emerson 2 or 3 times early on. I was fearing for us. At one point he went by him and Emerson just watched and had the air of a man who knew he was fudged for the afternoon. Then, as you say, Romero stepped up.

ASM absolutely destroyed Emerson 2 or 3 times early on. I was fearing for us. At one point he went by him and Emerson just watched and had the air of a man who knew he was fudged for the afternoon. Then, as you say, Romero stepped up.

We've got our right side pretty much sewn up. One of the best in the league - even with the current lot, helped much by our two new boys.

So talented, so aggressive, so determined, so cheeky, so stylish - so how the hell did we manage to sign him when all the other clubs knew he had been defender of the year in Italy? No idea but thank the Lord GHod above he is ours.

His tackling was brilliant but his positioning was something else. Critically, always in the right place to tackle or intercept. And his mobilty, the speed of his reactions, dazzling! As Harry would say, a top, top footballer.

Agree, he reads the situations ( dangers) so well.

Not hearing or reading enough about Romero's crafty runs forward into the opposition's box when we're on the attack. Seen him do it a number of times lately. Love it. Has to be a real disruption for marking schemes on our forwards, especially since rival managers by now must know that Romero has some serious skills on the ball.

And this is all part and parcel of Conte's tactics and coaching.
I've brought this up a few times, having 3 CBs allows the two wide ones the security to push up (generally one at a time though) and presents a dilemma as to who is supposed to mark them. Can be used to open up space elsewhere on the pitch since an opposing player might engage one of our marauding CBs. Davies has been doing this too of course and it seems like it's natural for him. Romero is just something else though, wins the ball higher up the pitch so that the last-ditch tackles/blocks aren't required. Finally, it seems that our midfielders recognize this and will play a bit more safely when a CB pushes forward.

He reminds me of Verts in his prime. Cool, calm and collected, tough in the tackle with a bit of nastiness - but not blatent like Lamela - but I should imagine if he tackles you, he will leave a foot in just to let you know he is there. Him and Dier seem to be building a really solid partnership and understanding. IMHO a great asset to the team.

I've brought this up a few times, having 3 CBs allows the two wide ones the security to push up (generally one at a time though) and presents a dilemma as to who is supposed to mark them. Can be used to open up space elsewhere on the pitch since an opposing player might engage one of our marauding CBs. Davies has been doing this too of course and it seems like it's natural for him. Romero is just something else though, wins the ball higher up the pitch so that the last-ditch tackles/blocks aren't required. Finally, it seems that our midfielders recognize this and will play a bit more safely when a CB pushes forward.

Quite often when we attack one or even both of our wide centre backs take up what is essentially a (now) more traditional full back role. Overlapping at times, staying back at times, joining in with the attack when space opens up, combining with the wing back. One of the central midfielders dropping back, or at least safety first in their positioning.

It's a role both Romero and Davies are very well suited to. Those qualities should be high up on our list of "must have" attributes when we sign another CB.

On Conte

“Since he’s arrived, the morale in the squad and certainly among the fans has changed totally around,” says Romero. “The morale and the spirit in the dressing room is totally improved.

“It’s tough for a manager coming in almost halfway through the season. So to turn things around 100 per cent in the way he would like is never easy. But I think he’s doing well, we’ve consolidated as a squad and as a team, and he’s got us playing pretty much how he wants us to. Tactically we’ve improved where we are on the field and that sort of thing. I think there are still things that need to be just tweaked, perfected.”

On playing RCB

“I played in the middle of the three in Serie A, and so I found it tough at first because I was slightly out of position compared to what I was used to but the great thing about Conte is I feel I’ve improved tactically,” Romero says of his tweaked role. “My positional awareness has improved as well. He explains the detail and what he wants in a really perfect way.

“I hope my performances are the same in either role. I feel comfortable doing either. Even if he puts me as goalkeeper, as long as I’m playing that’s the main thing.”

On Dier

Dier is another who has made a big impression on Romero: “He was instrumental when I joined. We’ve always got on well on and off the field. The fact he speaks Spanish really helps with our on-pitch understanding as well. He was instrumental also in bringing me into the group.

“From the day I arrived, he was really good at introducing me to everyone and making me feel at home as well so I was grateful for that. But first and foremost, what a great season he’s having — he brings a lot to the team, loads as a player.

“I’m guessing it is his objective to get back into the international set-up. We all feel he’s doing well and it can’t be long with the form that he’s showing before he’s back in the England squad.”

On the January signings

Romero knew plenty about Kane and Son and their quality before joining Tottenham, but he has also been struck by how much of a difference Spurs’ January signings have made: “The person who’s really surprised me is Kulusevski because I think he’s really added something either we didn’t have or didn’t see so often. He’s a really bright and intelligent player who’s become a vital cog in our system.

“Bentancur I was aware of from Italy, I always thought he was the kind of player who could cut it in the Premier League. What’s surprised me is the level at which he’s doing really, really well. How important he’s become for us so quickly.

“The performances of the team in general speak for each player but in particular speak for him and how well he has done for us.”

On being a dad

At first the feeling was almost fear, trepidation because it’s all new being a dad,” he says. “But now I’m getting used to it, being a good dad I think.

“It’s such a happy occasion. We’re together as a team, me and my wife. She’s fantastic, just a great, great person. Credit (to) her because all the time I spend here at the training ground, travelling the night before we go to games. I don’t spend as much time as I’d like to with my baby.

“But as soon as training’s finished or I get home from a game it’s just spending time with that little lad, along with his mum. That’s my life at the moment, that’s our life. We’re always together.”

Back