• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

I'm rather convinced he'll stay.

I don't think squaring up like that gets you a second yellow. He's been taken off a couple of times when on a yellow after putting in a tough tackle iirc. But he clearly adjusts his game when on a yellow. He's surely used to playing on a yellow from earlier in his career as well. He has been sent off before, but not some ridiculous number for an aggressive centre back.

I think he usually quite in control of his aggression. Needs to keep working on it, but it's not much of an issue imo.

Why put yourself in a position where the ref has a choice to make or could escalate whilst on a yellow?

Just finished watching the game. Would be an understatement to say this guy made sure Antonio wasn't going to be a problem for us today. Seriously impressive physicality. Decent on the ball too.

Maybe we should bring players in from Italy more often. The way this guy roams around hunting the ball relieves many headaches when he is able to win it back, which he seems to have a good record of. That also leaves Dier to set the backline with one of the midfielders dropping deep if Romero/Davies push up or out wide.
I really do think opposition players are reluctant to mark advancing CBs, but it's the same thing that Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea's CBs do pushing higher up the pitch.

Maybe we should bring players in from Italy more often. The way this guy roams around hunting the ball relieves many headaches when he is able to win it back, which he seems to have a good record of. That also leaves Dier to set the backline with one of the midfielders dropping deep if Romero/Davies push up or out wide.
I really do think opposition players are reluctant to mark advancing CBs, but it's the same thing that Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea's CBs do pushing higher up the pitch.
They all copied Chris wilder

Seen some comparing him to VVD today! I like Davies but imagine if we could find another Romero for LCB!
MotD were comparing his upper body strength to VVD's. I'm not so sure myself as they have very different styles. VVD is superb positionally, anchors the line, and always makes the right decisions, whereas Romero seems more of a scrapper. Sure, he's in the right place at the right time, and is classy enough, but he's not as languid. I don't have a problem with that, mind.

MotD were comparing his upper body strength to VVD's. I'm not so sure myself as they have very different styles. VVD is superb positionally, anchors the line, and always makes the right decisions, whereas Romero seems more of a scrapper. Sure, he's in the right place at the right time, and is classy enough, but he's not as languid. I don't have a problem with that, mind.

Still only 23.

Kind of but not really, Antonio is a bruiser and was swatting Romero like a knat, as with most defenders he crosses. However fair to Romero he didnt give up and was clearly putting Antonio off his regular game.

How many times did Antonio either come away with the ball or successfully get the ball to a teammate after a duel with Romero? I didn't notice many at least. I noticed quite a few where Romero came away with the ball or found a teammate.

Certainly don't think Antonio swatted him away.

Very good game from Romero again.

How many times did Antonio either come away with the ball or successfully get the ball to a teammate after a duel with Romero? I didn't notice many at least. I noticed quite a few where Romero came away with the ball or found a teammate.

Certainly don't think Antonio swatted him away.

Very good game from Romero again.

Talking about the physical side of his game in particular as he was compared with VVD.

From Twitter

Big fan of Cristian Romero’s attitude towards strikers that drop-off. What I’m going to do mate, is follow you into that space and give you a right good kicking. And because we’re so deep, I’ll get away with it at least twice. False 9? More like false leg, pal.

The guy will become a legend here, he looks like nothing ( or any opposing player) will bother him and the way he handled Antonio (who is not the best of players but a hard one) was good to see.
He was desperate to get rice back for the foul he did on him but rice didn’t get near him for it to happen.

Back