• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Putin & Russia

As mentioned in the “what happened today thread” we had a chat this evening with someone we had originally earmarked as “Eastern European” but who it transpires is Russian (lesson learned in the past, since forgotten, now re-learned - don’t assume English isn’t understood/spoken just because the person doesn’t appear to react to the language). Anyway, we had a good chat about our holiday in Russia but eventually the elephant in the room was too much and I had to ask about Putin and Ukraine. This was someone well travelled and (despite questionable childcare skills), clearly far from stupid. Yet he was totally bought into Putin, didn’t believe all the Western justification for supporting the Ukrainian resistance, believes Ukraine to be essentially Russian, strongly believed that Putin has over 80% support of the population (talks of rigged elections are bogus western meddling), acknowledged that someone probably poisoned Navalny but it wouldn’t have been Putin-led as there was no need as Navalny’s popularity was sinking fast, and generally felt that Putin has good control over the whole situation (no madness or irrational behaviour) and is well supported.
The whole conversation was quite surreal. I did ask him what he thought of being able to see coverage overseas that he wouldn’t be allowed to see in Russia but he dismissed it as untrue propaganda. It was thoroughly disconcerting. I wasn’t going to get into an argument with him - not appropriate on holiday - but it was very shocking to hear such a viewpoint from someone whom I would have expected to be more wordly- wise, as it were.
We are in the so called “post truth” period where half truths and outright lies by leaders are lapped up by people especially in the name of Nationalism. As you know it’s not just Russians afflicted in this way.

I thought "post truth" was when events that happen under falsehoods, which are then brought to light later when people seemingly give less of a brick for some reason.

Erm, Is he threatening Poland now? Or just tinkled off that they cheated on them and made friends with the US?

Incredible that we continue to standby and watch European cities being wiped off the map.

In the 21st Century.

With Biden attending the NATO summit in Brussels om Thursday, you'd think Putin's nuclear trigger finger will be itching quite badly. :eek:

Russia are completely fudged. They have been outfought and have a lot of forces potentially trapped behind the lines. 10,000s of Russian POWs would give Putin a headache. Let alone the loss of another 50 battallions worth of kit including hyper sensitive secret squirrel brick.

It is just unbelievable that a country that had little organised military a decade ago could achieve so much tactically and strategically.

I reckon this is what would happen to us English if we invaded Scotland. And vice versa.

Scary and awesome.

Russia are completely fudged. They have been outfought and have a lot of forces potentially trapped behind the lines. 10,000s of Russian POWs would give Putin a headache. Let alone the loss of another 50 battallions worth of kit including hyper sensitive secret squirrel brick.

It is just unbelievable that a country that had little organised military a decade ago could achieve so much tactically and strategically.

I reckon this is what would happen to us English if we invaded Scotland. And vice versa.

Scary and awesome.

I’m not sure they are completely fudged, to be honest. Today’s MOD update says that they continue to advance south in the east of the country as they look to encircle Ukrainian troops. They also continue to advance west towards Odessa. It’s thought they have paused in other areas to re- supply before a large scale offensive. They continue to bomb civilian areas from the ground and air.

Progress is slow but they aren’t going to be defeated by the Ukrainians on their own.

Back