• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cristian Romero

Is he meant to be a commanding CB though? Dier is an inch or two taller and broader build - if either is better placed to be a commanding CB, its Dier. Either way, we lack that commanding CB

It’ll come down to semantics but surely one would hope that all CB’s are commanding would they not? Perhaps competent would have been a better choice of word.

I don’t think it’s as simple as who is the tallest/ broadest but more what they add to the team. I love Romero’s tenacity and ability on the ball but often losing the man he is marking on a set piece isn’t another string to his bow.

Jesus christ how quick do some fans turn on our players, 23 years of age playing in a different country/game and after a dozen or so games we turn on him. I despair. :(
I think most have been balanced in their opinions on him. There are flaws in his game that he needs to work on but there is a lot of potential.
Nobody has turned on him or are calling for him to be dropped or sold etc.

I think most have been balanced in their opinions on him. There are flaws in his game that he needs to work on but there is a lot of potential.
Nobody has turned on him or are calling for him to be dropped or sold etc.
He is way better than the alternative
But he needs to work on defending set pieces
Quite quickly too

Wow I didn’t think there was anyone left in the world who actually rates Sanchez other than his mum and dad. One of the worst South American footballers in terms of passing and distribution I’ve ever seen.

He's a defender, passing and distribution are way down my priority list.

He's a defender, passing and distribution are way down my priority list.

Maybe in 1992 or even 2002 passing wasn’t as important but being good on the ball is pretty much a bog standard requirement for a half decent CB these days. And unfortunately for Sanchez, his “strengths” (whatever they are) don’t make up for his deficiencies, he doesn’t really excel at anything.

Maybe in 1992 or even 2002 passing wasn’t as important but being good on the ball is pretty much a bog standard requirement for a half decent CB these days. And unfortunately for Sanchez, his “strengths” (whatever they are) don’t make up for his deficiencies, he doesn’t really excel at anything.

I think he’s faster and taller than Romero and better at holding shape.

Jesus christ how quick do some fans turn on our players, 23 years of age playing in a different country/game and after a dozen or so games we turn on him. I despair. :(

Not really. He’s been part of a poor defence so isn’t beyond criticising.

he is making it worse with things like screaming in a players face then throwing in a dangerous and pointless challenge on Monday.

I think he’s faster and taller than Romero and better at holding shape.
I understand the criticism of his defending of aerial balls but his general defensive play has been decent to good. Sanchez has also had some good games this season particularly under Nuno but he's always prone to one his fudgeups that make him timid and indecisive for the rest of the match. Romero has never seemed affected by a mistake although I can't really think of an outright mistake rather than just not being good enough in a particular situation.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I really struggle to see what the issue is with him screaming at Maguire.

Wish more of our players had more of his attitude.
Are you joking, screaming in the face of a player who has just scored an own goal? It’s classless. And it isn’t a demonstration of some sort of great mentality, more so of his erratic behaviour. Karma is a bitch, and especially when playing for Spurs doing that sort of thing when all we have done is equalised is a recipe for disaster….

Are you joking, screaming in the face of a player who has just scored an own goal? It’s classless. And it isn’t a demonstration of some sort of great mentality, more so of his erratic behaviour. Karma is a bitch, and especially when playing for Spurs doing that sort of thing when all we have done is equalised is a recipe for disaster….

Not joking.

Classless, perhaps. Definitely a bit nasty, tasteless. I don't particularly believe in karma.

I'm not saying this specific kind of thing is necessary or good, I think it's more neutral and that's why I'm not getting what the problem is. But it's an example of a nasty streak, a twist the knife around kind of brickhousery. The opposite of our "sweet lads" approach. I think that's good overall.

I don't think the goal resulted from that incident in particular. It may have wound up Maguire or other United players, but I think that makes them at least as likely to make another mistake as up their game.

If the third goal was karma for Romero shouting at Maguire, what were the first two goals karma for?

In a 3 at the back system it is hugely important. The team is effectively one attacking player down so the centre backs absolutely must be comfortable on the ball and able to pass progressively.

they also absolutely must hold shape and not leave gaps and end up in front of the ball after missing a tackle

we don’t have a perfect player there, it’s pick your poison, for me, I’d lean more towards stopping chances than creating them

Not joking.

Classless, perhaps. Definitely a bit nasty, tasteless. I don't particularly believe in karma.

I'm not saying this specific kind of thing is necessary or good, I think it's more neutral and that's why I'm not getting what the problem is. But it's an example of a nasty streak, a twist the knife around kind of brickhousery. The opposite of our "sweet lads" approach. I think that's good overall.

I don't think the goal resulted from that incident in particular. It may have wound up Maguire or other United players, but I think that makes them at least as likely to make another mistake as up their game.

If the third goal was karma for Romero shouting at Maguire, what were the first two goals karma for?
Fair enough if you don’t believe in karma, but I wasn’t saying every goal scored is due to karma:D At the end of the day, if you do a classless and quite frankly cringeworthy thing like that then you better make sure you have your own house well in order. And he doesn’t, he is the very epitome of Spurs. Will do some good things, and back those up with some poor and stupid decisions….

they also absolutely must hold shape and not leave gaps and end up in front of the ball after missing a tackle

we don’t have a perfect player there, it’s pick your poison, for me, I’d lean more towards stopping chances than creating them
In which case we’ll be looking at nil nil draws as the expected result…. WLWLWL gives a better PPG.

I suspect Conte will want to add 2 new CBS this summer if he is allowed the funds. Problem is the rest of the squad also needs quite a lot of work and funds are likely to be tight.

In which case we’ll be looking at nil nil draws as the expected result…. WLWLWL gives a better PPG.

I suspect Conte will want to add 2 new CBS this summer if he is allowed the funds. Problem is the rest of the squad also needs quite a lot of work and funds are likely to be tight.

No, because we have Kane, he’s a worth a goal a game, we just need to close the other end and it’ll be win, win, win, ad infinitum

Not joking.

That nasty streak would be a lot better focused if he'd put a reducer in on Ronaldo in the game instead of giving him a free run in the box because he can't seem to concentrate at set pieces. I'd much rather he'd given Ronaldo a dead leg, done his ankle or even kidney punched him when he lost him at that corner (it might have meant Ronaldo spooned the header over the bar). At least those have some sort of effect on the opposition. I really don't see the point in screaming in Maguire's face and I'm the first one to call for more brick-housery in the team!

Fair enough if you don’t believe in karma, but I wasn’t saying every goal scored is due to karma:D At the end of the day, if you do a classless and quite frankly cringeworthy thing like that then you better make sure you have your own house well in order. And he doesn’t, he is the very epitome of Spurs. Will do some good things, and back those up with some poor and stupid decisions….

I was mostly pointing out that when a goal is conceded after something like that karma is often brought up. But there's no reason to think there's a connection is there?

That nasty streak would be a lot better focused if he'd put a reducer in on Ronaldo in the game instead of giving him a free run in the box because he can't seem to concentrate at set pieces. I'd much rather he'd given Ronaldo a dead leg, done his ankle or even kidney punched him when he lost him at that corner (it might have meant Ronaldo spooned the header over the bar). At least those have some sort of effect on the opposition. I really don't see the point in screaming in Maguire's face and I'm the first one to call for more brick-housery in the team!

Seems to be that it's accepted as fact that he's at fault for the third goal?

He peels away from that scramble of players to track Varane's run. If he's supposed to stick with Ronaldo who is supposed to follow Varane? Had he stuck with Ronaldo giving Varane a free run and Varane ended up scoring I'm rather certain he would have been seen as at fault.

Doherty does what would be enough against almost any player almost every time in that situation. Fantastic from Ronaldo, and a great delivery. These things happen.

I don't think this one is on Romero. Though better organisation from the off, each player more clearly having their man might have been better. Mostly a difficult situation and well played by United imo.

I was mostly pointing out that when a goal is conceded after something like that karma is often brought up. But there's no reason to think there's a connection is there?

Seems to be that it's accepted as fact that he's at fault for the third goal?

He peels away from that scramble of players to track Varane's run. If he's supposed to stick with Ronaldo who is supposed to follow Varane? Had he stuck with Ronaldo giving Varane a free run and Varane ended up scoring I'm rather certain he would have been seen as at fault.

Doherty does what would be enough against almost any player almost every time in that situation. Fantastic from Ronaldo, and a great delivery. These things happen.

I don't think this one is on Romero. Though better organisation from the off, each player more clearly having their man might have been better. Mostly a difficult situation and well played by United imo.

That 3rd was a typically poor defensive organization from us, from set pieces into the box...

The 2nd could also have been made a bit more difficult for Ronaldo, if Ben Davies was awake...

And the 1st should also have been attacked by Eric Dier instead of the effort he put in to get his body out way...

I’ve lost count of how many years this has been the case actually, so I’m inclined to question the coaching methods!

Back