• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Manure***

I have to give credit to United there. They did great work swarming around their box. We never really had a moment like Ronaldo's first where Dier allowed him room for the shot. We could have tried more snapshots but United hustled very well today.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

The ball got passed by peh, who was nowhere near closing down the man, then he stood and watch Ronaldo take three touches before hitting it. Its his job to stop that.

Age takes away your speed. It takes away none of your technique/shot power, which is what mattered there.

Hugo was never saving that. He could be a six-legged jetpack-equipped Buffon and he wouldn't have saved it, imo.

Age doesn't take away desire though and the desire to win and break records.
Not for the truly great players, harry could have filled his boots tonight, and yet.....
Ronaldo won that game tonight, next time Harry wants to compare himself to him and messi someone should laugh in his face.

It's basics though isn't it, you don't need to be a sitter to know someone should be sitting, and that if you are playing CM and the other one isn't doing it you need to drop in.

Son isn't an FB, but if Reggie gets knocked down on an overlap I damn well expect him to drop back and fill in there.

Of course, but it's rarely as clear cut as that. You rarely (not never - rarely) see either completely in no man's land, but it's usually that they're not ballside of their man, or too far away, or marking someone else.

That isn't necessarily 'fixable' - their instinct is less to screen and think 'I need to block this space here', and more 'I need to make sure this man I'm marking doesn't get the ball/if he does, I can win it'.

In the second it takes to readjust and suppress instinctive reactions in order to go out, Ronaldo could probably have gotten that shot off anyway.

It's space oriented vs man-oriented - typically, sitters see the former, roaming destroyers like Bentancur/Hojbjerg see the latter.

I was a university goalkeeper, and the most difficult time I had with long shots was when we had a destroyer sitting in front of our back line. Got a lot less of it with a sitter, and I figured out why - they see the game differently, which interviews with the likes of Makelele vs Alonso et al also attest to.

We're being hyper-critical in my view. Half a dozen times in a game, something like that happens and there is no goal. It was just a bit of brilliance from him. Hats off but looking to blame people? We're being harsh.
I’m not sure it’s harsh to suggest that dier at least could have done better by halving the distance between himself and Ronaldo to close that angle/hurry the shot. No doubt, Ronaldo is a decent talent who might make an impact on the game, but you can’t give him that time.

The ball got passed by peh, who was nowhere near closing down the man, then he stood and watch Ronaldo take three touches before hitting it. Its his job to stop that.

Not for the truly great players, harry could have filled his boots tonight, and yet.....
Ronaldo won that game tonight, next time Harry wants to compare himself to him and messi someone should laugh in his face.

Yeah. Ronaldo in this game is what a real big-game player looks like. Kane is just...not, unfortunately. Thought he'd turned a corner against City, but he just isn't decisive in those big moments.

Of course, but it's rarely as clear cut as that. You rarely (not never - rarely) see either completely in no man's land, but it's usually that they're not ballside of their man, or too far away, or marking someone else.

That isn't necessarily 'fixable' - their instinct is less to screen and think 'I need to block this space here', and more 'I need to make sure this man I'm marking doesn't get the ball/if he does, I can win it'.

In the second it takes to readjust and suppress instinctive reactions in order to go out, Ronaldo could probably have gotten that shot off anyway.

It's space oriented vs man-oriented - typically, sitters see the former, roaming destroyers like Bentancur/Hojbjerg see the latter.

I was a university goalkeeper, and the most difficult time I had with long shots was when we had a destroyer sitting in front of our back line. Got a lot less of it with a sitter, and I figured out why - they see the game differently, which interviews with the likes of Makelele vs Alonso et al also attest to.

I was also a keeper, anything I let in from outside the box was my fault and meant I was getting the first two rounds in after the game. It was like being beaten at the near post, inexcusable and unforgivable.

Yeah. Ronaldo in this game is what a real big-game player looks like. Kane is just...not, unfortunately. Thought he'd turned a corner against City, but he just isn't decisive in those big moments.
Kanes record vs all the big teams is very very good
But we also have a club which’s record in these big games is woeful
Issue tonight though was united were poor and there to be done but we made basics errors and they made less

I was also a keeper, anything I let in from outside the box was my fault and meant I was getting the first two rounds in after the game. It was like being beaten at the near post, inexcusable and unforgivable.

Sure, me too. But then, I usually wasn't facing someone with an unstoppable, curving shot and almost no backlift to let me guess the power on the shot, so when I let one in, it was usually on me (although I had more of a problem with catching, tbh - tended to palm it back out into danger zones, like Gomes used to do).

I've criticized Lloris plenty in recent games, but I think he couldn't have saved this one, honestly. Just one of those. Dier is probably who I'd blame most.

Sure, me too. But then, I usually wasn't facing someone with an unstoppable, curving shot and almost no backlift to let me guess the power on the shot, so when I let one in, it was usually on me (although I had more of a problem with catching, tbh - tended to palm it back out into danger zones, like Gomes used to do).

I've criticized Lloris plenty in recent games, but I think he couldn't have saved this one, honestly. Just one of those. Dier is probably who I'd blame most.

You don't think that had he been on his toes, rather than back on his heels, that he'd have gotten closer to it?

I don’t really agree with your general criticisms of Kane not showing up in big games, however, in front of his mate Brady, having Ronaldo show him up like that must sting. It’s not like he can blame the team around him, we were better, he just didn’t have a good game.

I wouldn't include today as a big game Kane didn't show up in either.

It wasn't a big game, it was another flat track he should have bullied and padded his stats.
It’s a game that our champions league ambitions died, it was a big game in that context, not in terms of the quality of the opposition.

From this performance - we need another CB, and Romero to develop his marking. For a CB he rarely dominates in the air. He's not the tallest but what he has to do is stay with his man on set pieces. 101 stuff.

Reggie is a 90% player. Almost excellent. Can Conte draw more from him? I think he can. First game back so have cut him some slack, but the issues I have with him are he's not amazing defensively, and he flatters to deceive in attack too. He IS almost there though. Needs cool to make passes stick when attacking or collect a cross. He's getting in the right positions. His sloppy pass in attack that found Pogba proceeded his - millisecond slow- offside foot.

The first goal - Bentancur is too slow closing down the man and he's taken out the game by a deft pass. He doesn't stop the pass or mark Ronaldo. He started the game a beat off the pace. In those situations, better for Bentancur to stay on Ronaldo and let Davies step out of defense. In fact we need that so we are not overrun in the middle. Bentancur wasn't terrible, but Pogba won the battle, and we needed more from the Argie. He is our most skillful midfielder, and if he's not playing well we feel it. We need to sign another midfielder.

Then in attack, Son and Kane looked a little weary. We need another striker. If we can somehow keep Kane and sign 3 key players - a dominating CB, a skillful midfielder, and a forward with goals in them - plus develop the likes of Romero, we have something to look forward to next season. Lots of 'ifs' there. But there were positive signs in how Conte had us playing today.

Reggie is nowhere near 90% for me Clive. He checks back inside repeatedly, never looks to take on his opponent on the outside. His crossing is hit and hope. He flatters to deceive imo.

You don't think that had he been on his toes, rather than back on his heels, that he'd have gotten closer to it?

Sure, maybe a little closer. And remember, I've only seen it live + the instant replay.

But as you know, that lack of backlift deceives a *lot* of goalkeepers, mate. You don't know when the shot is arriving, and the power with which it's curving towards you. With most players, you can sort of time your lean forward onto your toes at the start of the swing.

You can't really do that with someone who can leather the ball with minimal backlift - it's already halfway to you when you're stepping forward. And remember, you go to your toes to anticipate a jump - if you then have to save with your feet close in and low down, it's harder then if you're heel-on.

I'm not going to blame Lloris for being deceived by Ronaldo's technique - he's put 800+ goals past keepers for a reason. Preventing the shot, sure, that was on us.

I don’t really agree with your general criticisms of Kane not showing up in big games, however, in front of his mate Brady, having Ronaldo show him up like that must sting. It’s not like he can blame the team around him, we were better, he just didn’t have a good game.

Honestly, and i expect to get flamed big time for this and i couldn't give a fudge, but kane, son, winks and peh need to realise they are playing for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, not Harry Kane.

Reggie is nowhere near 90% for me Clive. He checks back inside repeatedly, never looks to take on his opponent on the outside. His crossing is hit and hope. He flatters to deceive imo.
I mostly agree but I'm pretty sure when he first joined us his crosses were Trippier like and I thought we had a real player on our hands. Maybe my memory is foggy or have we Spursed him up?

I mostly agree but I'm pretty sure when he first joined us his crosses were Trippier like and I thought we had a real player on our hands. Maybe my memory is foggy or have we Spursed him up?

I think we were blown away by his (apparent) speed and the fact he looked comfortable on the ball. We don’t ask for much!

Although Bentancur was at fault for a couple of the goals - one more directly than the other - I think he will learn a lot from tonight, and has the making of a very good midfielder.

His tackling style is to get close, niggle, and try and nick the ball, but he needs to learn when not be so keen and screen/drop off instead, rather than step in. If he had held off then Fred wouldn't have turned the ball round the corner to Pogba in space for the first, and Pogba wouldn't have got away from Bentancur to win the corner that led to the last.

What Bentancur does give us, though, which we have been missing for some time, is a player who sits in the space in the middle of the pitch, always wants the ball and, most importantly, is comfortable receiving it on the turn and shifts it quickly. He turns his body around the ball, rather than turning with the ball. It's a subtle thing, but makes a big difference. It might take a little while for him to adjust to the Premiership, but I'm sure he will prove a very good signing.

Back