• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

I just find it interesting that players like Romero, Kulu and Bentancur who appear to have established themselves immediately in the starting line up do not raise the issue of struggling to settle, and looking lonely etc

I posted in the match thread (I think!) that I wonder whether this is partly related to an approach which Paratici has mentioned before that he puts the person first and player second when looking to sign players.

Could be entirely coincidental of course!

I thought he was poor personally. And now injured again :/

Poor in what way for you?

For me he did lose the ball quite a bit, some loose touches, struggled at times up against their winger.

For me when he lost the ball it was mostly because he was trying to make things happen, taking people on, looking for good options. I see that as a step in the right direction. Needs to do a bit more, but playing with more directness, belief, exactly what he needs imo.

Defensively he was fine enough. Gordon seems a tricky player, as I said some problems, but stuck to his job and got it done.

Hopefully the injury was just a precaution. I'm assuming Reguilon will have his place back soon enough, but having Sessegnon as an option at the very least is very good for us I think.

Showing some real good signs I think. Still flashes more than consistency in terms of great involvements, but tries a lot more to make things happen, great to see.

Hopefully he can keep it up.

He doesn't hide. He tries to make things happen - and he succeeds. Made the crucial first goal yesterday, and we need him. Great to see Reggie score as well.

I posted in the match thread (I think!) that I wonder whether this is partly related to an approach which Paratici has mentioned before that he puts the person first and player second when looking to sign players.

Could be entirely coincidental of course!

I think that may be part of it for sure.

For Sessegnon I think he was mainly signed for the future. He hadn't exactly lit up the PL for Fulham. He was short on some key qualities, bags of talent, but some way off the finished product for any of our roles at the time. Not solid enough defensively for a full back role. Not offering enough going forward for a wide attacking role.

Was always a long shot that he would make an immediate impact. Of course we wanted more sooner, but then came injuries and a change of manager too.

I'm not a fully signed up member of the Sess fan club as some are, however there's been clear progress from him over the last 2-3 months. Part of that is simply playing more regularly, and now having a manager which plays with wing-backs which feels more of a natural fit for him.

I'm a bit surprised though that Conte is starting him, despite his progress. He probably has a higher ceiling than Reggie, but in terms of where they are now, Reggie is better IMO. Therefore its almost as if we're less concerned about results at the moment and planning long-term, where Conte is more a results-today type manager

Either way, its nice to have a position where I dont think we need to add in the summer, and hopefully for several more summers too!

Poor in what way for you?

For me he did lose the ball quite a bit, some loose touches, struggled at times up against their winger.

For me when he lost the ball it was mostly because he was trying to make things happen, taking people on, looking for good options. I see that as a step in the right direction. Needs to do a bit more, but playing with more directness, belief, exactly what he needs imo.

Defensively he was fine enough. Gordon seems a tricky player, as I said some problems, but stuck to his job and got it done.

Hopefully the injury was just a precaution. I'm assuming Reguilon will have his place back soon enough, but having Sessegnon as an option at the very least is very good for us I think.

Yeah poor in the way that you describe. But I agree with everything else you say too. So I'm certainly not writing him off. Just being impatient to see the best of him sooner, and frustrated (for him as much as anything else) that he had to come off at HT. He just never seems to be able to get the run of gametime that he needs (e.g. the red card and the recent early sub, not to mention the injuries).

He has bags of talent for sure, however he seems to lack a bit ofconfidence and has had bad luck with injurys. Lets hope he can overcome those problems because if he can he will be a big assest for us.

I'm not a fully signed up member of the Sess fan club as some are, however there's been clear progress from him over the last 2-3 months. Part of that is simply playing more regularly, and now having a manager which plays with wing-backs which feels more of a natural fit for him.

I'm a bit surprised though that Conte is starting him, despite his progress.
He probably has a higher ceiling than Reggie, but in terms of where they are now, Reggie is better IMO. Therefore its almost as if we're less concerned about results at the moment and planning long-term, where Conte is more a results-today type manager

Reggie got Covid very recently and is only just recovering now

There was a great podcast a few years ago with a famous player (Keegan perhaps? Can't remember) who suffered from lots of hamstring issues and had torn his hamstring badly, a week before a major cup final... maybe late 70s/ early 80s

He had no chance of playing but was sent somewhere odd (East Germany perhaps) and some nutter physio ripped all the fibres in his hamstring and pulled and pushed and ripped and squished and all those micro injuries melded together and somehow enabled him to play the final.

Keegan talks about that in his autobiography - the doc told him it would hurt like hell for 72 hours and then he'd be fit. He went home in agony and low and behold - three days later fully fit.

This was intermingled with "I wouldn't say I fell out with X but we both had strong opinions and mine were right" about every 10 pages. The man fell out with everyone he ever played with or under or managed.

Apparently, while it’s the same hamstring it is not the same tear as before? Maybe a small positive. Hopefully he’s back before the end of the season.

Back