• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Winks

True. Very few goals are down to one single mistake alone, unless it is the goalkeeper or central defender making a howler that you cannot recover from.
Usually they are a compound of several mistakes, each in it self "repairable", but in sum unrecoverable. Even Davies stupid slip could/should have been recovered, but since that came on top of the initial mistake, the compounded result was too much to handle. And in the end, his mistake gets the blame. (Don't get me wrong, he clearly deserves a huge bit of blame on that one, and I'm quite certain he would be the first to acknowledge that!).

The main difference between a team in the flow, and a team in our deep brick, is that when you have your tails up, high spirit and high belief, you don't let one mistake lead to another. You break the chain before it becomes a problem. In the other scenario, a mistake increases the chance of a second mistake, due to poor confidence, poor judgement because of poor confidence, and just because "bad luck breeds bad luck."

We're so determined to find spacegoats (and heroes, for that matter) that we're more focused on who touched the ball last than what caused the situation. While if we really want to understand how to stop it from happening (or recreate it, in case of the hero) we need to see the root cause, not the spacegoat (hero)!
Good post

If Bentancur and Skipp aren’t fit to play soon then we’ll be lucky to finish in top half of the table with this and Bodgeberg starting in midfield.

Watching Winks 'compete' for headers is laughable. I appreciate he isn't that tall, his heading won't be his strong point, and he doesn't necessarily need to compete for all, but he should at least compete for some - it is quite predictable that when the ball in the air, he won't even challenge/jump and just wave his arms about.

Will be fine if we move to a midfield three.

In a two, with Hojbjerg, both playing several full games in quick succession. Not good. We already knew that though.

Will be fine if we move to a midfield three.

In a two, with Hojbjerg, both playing several full games in quick succession. Not good. We already knew that though.
He's never fine. He's not good enough, the definition of mediocre and sure if we want to be mediocre then pick Winks every week in a three or a two or whatever.

We need to get our midfield quality back up to the point where this is no legitimate use for him. Once we get back to that level then we will have started to look like a competent side once again.

He isn't awful usually but he isn't a quality option either and we need quality. People forget he was a key part in the gruesome twosome that was a horror story centre midfield pairing of Winks and Sissoko. We finally got rid of Sissoko but Winks is still playing games from the start far to regularly. What do you expect to happen? [emoji31]

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

He's never fine. He's not good enough, the definition of mediocre and sure if we want to be mediocre then pick Winks every week in a three or a two or whatever.

We need to get our midfield quality back up to the point where this is no legitimate use for him. Once we get back to that level then we will have started to look like a competent side once again.

He isn't awful usually but he isn't a quality option either and we need quality. People forget he was a key part in the gruesome twosome that was a horror story centre midfield pairing of Winks and Sissoko. We finally got rid of Sissoko but Winks is still playing games from the start far to regularly. What do you expect to happen? [emoji31]

Big difference anchoring a three man midfield compared to being one of two like he's been recently. One suits him, one doesn't.

May never be quite good enough anyway, but as an option for that role I think he's fine.

Big difference anchoring a three man midfield compared to being one of two like he's been recently. One suits him, one doesn't.

May never be quite good enough anyway, but as an option for that role I think he's fine.

As pointed out elsewhere I think he seems to have a bit of chip on his shoulder, when he was out the side he was moaning and never really showed the manager why he should be in the first 11.

I would move him on.

As pointed out elsewhere I think he seems to have a bit of chip on his shoulder, when he was out the side he was moaning and never really showed the manager why he should be in the first 11.

I would move him on.

For a rather long time he got very few chances to actually show why he should be in the team. Not because he didn't get minutes, but because there wasn't a natural place for him in the team due to our style of play and requirements in midfield.

He shown this season that he can be an asset. In a midfield two next to a tiring Hojbjerg, behind a front three running on fumes is not his role at all. Even more so when he himself has played a lot in quick succession. More or less perfectly highlights his weaknesses.

If he was frustrated I can understand that. He's stepped up at times under Conte and rightly gotten praise from Conte.

Several things will have to go his way for him to be a good option next season imo. Selling him may end up the best solution for everyone. But if we move more towards a midfield three I think he's at the very least a decent option if he sticks around. He looks fourth in the pecking order for central midfield, the obvious first one out of replacements are signed.

For this season much depends on if we play a midfield three or not. Perhaps some games in a two next to Bentancur or Skipp (both more athletic). But mostly for him to succeed it needs to be a midfield three I think. If a change like that is preferable overall is a different question.

For a rather long time he got very few chances to actually show why he should be in the team. Not because he didn't get minutes, but because there wasn't a natural place for him in the team due to our style of play and requirements in midfield.

He shown this season that he can be an asset. In a midfield two next to a tiring Hojbjerg, behind a front three running on fumes is not his role at all. Even more so when he himself has played a lot in quick succession. More or less perfectly highlights his weaknesses.

If he was frustrated I can understand that. He's stepped up at times under Conte and rightly gotten praise from Conte.

Several things will have to go his way for him to be a good option next season imo. Selling him may end up the best solution for everyone. But if we move more towards a midfield three I think he's at the very least a decent option if he sticks around. He looks fourth in the pecking order for central midfield, the obvious first one out of replacements are signed.

For this season much depends on if we play a midfield three or not. Perhaps some games in a two next to Bentancur or Skipp (both more athletic). But mostly for him to succeed it needs to be a midfield three I think. If a change like that is preferable overall is a different question.
We won’t move to a 3
The issue yesterday was him and Hojberg were up against a 3 man midfield and neither player looked like they had the legs for the game.
It’s exactly the same as when we played Southampton when he came in fresh I believe but Hojberg was knackered
People think contes team expect the most from the WBs… I’d agree in his Italian set up 3-5-2. But in England he has played 3-4-3 and at Chelsea he had kante and no midweek fixtures when he won the league
If winks and Hojberg start vs Everton and we’re not letting them get outnumbered in midfield they will be fine again

Last edited:
We won’t move to a 3
The souse yesterday was him and Hojberg were up against a 3 man midfield and neither player looked like they had the legs for the game.
It’s exactly the same as when we played Southampton when he came in fresh I believe but Hojberg was knackered
People think contes team expect the most from the WBs… I’d agree in his Italian set up 3-5-2. But in England he has played 3-4-3 and at Chelsea he had kante and no midweek fixtures when he won the league
If winks and Hojberg start vs Everton and we’re not letting them get outnumbered in midfield they will be fine again

I'm guessing the formation has less to do with which league and more to do with the players he has available?

Will be interesting to see how we approach things when we have more options in midfield again. Some reasons for a midfield three, but definitely also reasons for a front three.

Agreed with the rest.

Winks is lacking in physical attributes, runs quite a bit, but not quick or dynamic. Far from great one vs one defensively with space around him. Ask him to cover a lot of space and he will struggle.

I'm guessing the formation has less to do with which league and more to do with the players he has available?

Will be interesting to see how we approach things when we have more options in midfield again. Some reasons for a midfield three, but definitely also reasons for a front three.

Agreed with the rest.

Winks is lacking in physical attributes, runs quite a bit, but not quick or dynamic. Far from great one vs one defensively with space around him. Ask him to cover a lot of space and he will struggle.
I honestly don’t know
He has always played 3-4-3 here and 3-5-2 in Italy
But it could be because of who he has available

Watching Winks 'compete' for headers is laughable. I appreciate he isn't that tall, his heading won't be his strong point, and he doesn't necessarily need to compete for all, but he should at least compete for some - it is quite predictable that when the ball in the air, he won't even challenge/jump and just wave his arms about.
Lucas Moura is shorter and is way more effective at winning headers, it's all about actually putting in the effort and being tenacious.
Winks seemed to play some decent passes at some points (ie., some slick, one-touch forward passes) but then there's too many safe balls back/sideways. Not sure PEH next to him makes the job any easier either, but for what Winks brings to the table, it's just not enough at times.

Lucas Moura is shorter and is way more effective at winning headers, it's all about actually putting in the effort and being tenacious.
Winks seemed to play some decent passes at some points (ie., some slick, one-touch forward passes) but then there's too many safe balls back/sideways. Not sure PEH next to him makes the job any easier either, but for what Winks brings to the table, it's just not enough at times.

Lucas has outstanding physical qualities including a leap that very few players can match.

Play Winks in a role that highlights that quality on the ball and minimises his physical shortcomings and he'll be fine. Perhaps still not good enough, but much better than what we saw yesterday.

Lucas has outstanding physical qualities including a leap that very few players can match.

Play Winks in a role that highlights that quality on the ball and minimises his physical shortcomings and he'll be fine. Perhaps still not good enough, but much better than what we saw yesterday.
His "quality on the ball" isn't high enough to compensate for the rest of his game. He'd have to be Xaviesque to make up for his deficiencies. He's played some good to decent passes recently but it's still not enough imo. He's just the definition of mediocre.

His "quality on the ball" isn't high enough to compensate for the rest of his game. He'd have to be Xaviesque to make up for his deficiencies. He's played some good to decent passes recently but it's still not enough imo. He's just the definition of mediocre.

If we assume that Bentacur is good enough to be a first choice midfield player for us then we're looking for one more addition in the summer to find his partner. I think Skipp and Hojbjerg are both good enough to be back up players (and Skipp could develop further from there) that leaves Winks as clearly 5th choice and that's before considering Sarr (who I think we might let out on loan again). Personally I'd like us to sign two central midfield players this summer, one being a deeper player able to play in a pivot (Brozovic would be perfect, or alternatively perhaps Kamara) and one being a creative player that would probably be more useful in a midfield 3 (a player like Soler or Isco). Winks I think should be moved on for the sake of both the club and the player.

He's a good player in the right setup. But perhaps not quite good enough to warrant a change of system to accommodate him. Also someone that could be upgraded on.

If he sticks around he'll do a good job if the system is right for him. I don't think he's mediocre as such.

If we assume that Bentacur is good enough to be a first choice midfield player for us then we're looking for one more addition in the summer to find his partner. I think Skipp and Hojbjerg are both good enough to be back up players (and Skipp could develop further from there) that leaves Winks as clearly 5th choice and that's before considering Sarr (who I think we might let out on loan again). Personally I'd like us to sign two central midfield players this summer, one being a deeper player able to play in a pivot (Brozovic would be perfect, or alternatively perhaps Kamara) and one being a creative player that would probably be more useful in a midfield 3 (a player like Soler or Isco). Winks I think should be moved on for the sake of both the club and the player.

Mostly agreed.

There are some plausible outcomes where he's a useful player imo, but all fairly unlikely.

I won't be disappointed if he stays as long as we strengthen our options. Won't be disappointed if he leaves either I think.

Back