• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Putin & Russia

Well, invasion underway. Confirmed fighting at airport in Kiev, amphibious landings in Odessa and Mariupol, explosions and fighting in Kharkhiv. Looks like a complete invasion all across Ukraine.

For anyone on this forum with friends and family in Ukraine, GHod bless you, and please stay safe.

As for us as Western nations, we have failed to guard - but we must now be there to avenge, over the coming years.

Old Vlad has gone full on batbrick crazy. I can't see how the West would intervene - but NATO and the US could find themselves in a very delicate situation if Russia advances to topple Kyiv and the Ukrainian government.

Scary times. At least Trump isn't still president. Imagine that - he wouldn't have backed NATO, possibly cuddling up to Putin instead.

Ah, humans. We'll be extinct soon enough, I guess.

Well, invasion underway. Confirmed fighting at airport in Kiev, amphibious landings in Odessa and Mariupol, explosions and fighting in Kharkhiv. Looks like a complete invasion all across Ukraine.

For anyone on this forum with friends and family in Ukraine, GHod bless you, and please stay safe.

As for us as Western nations, we have failed to guard - but we must now be there to avenge, over the coming years.
You just wait for those sanctions though.......

Nope. Sanctions are doing fudge all. Unfortunately this seems to be going only one way and that’s to number 3.
There was an obvious solution from the start that our cowards in chief didn't even consider - sign Ukraine up to NATO.

It's possibly not too late. If Ukraine were to become a member today, it might be enough to get Putin to turn back.

Nope. Sanctions are doing fudge all. Unfortunately, this seems to be going only one way and that’s to number 3.
Yeah, too much of a slow bleed at this point but probably worthwhile to ramp them up to the max nonetheless. That rant from Putin the other day shows he's flipped into full tsar mode now and the consequences be damned. We can only hope that this turns into another Afghanistan for them, and he ends up like the last Tsar.

There was an obvious solution from the start that our cowards in chief didn't even consider - sign Ukraine up to NATO.

It's possibly not too late. If Ukraine were to become a member today, it might be enough to get Putin to turn back.

It's not a Netflix subscription, it takes time.

Any further step towards NATO membership would just have escalated the situation quicker.

Sanctions don't work quickly at least. But should be put in place regardless.

I believe one requirement for membership is that your country cannot be already in an ongoing conflict. So the low boil war in Donbas these last years was effectively a veto to membership. If Ukraine was allowed to join it would have been in essence an immediate declaration of war beween NATO and Russia. I am likely oversimplifying that, but the rationale is something along those lines.

It's not a Netflix subscription, it takes time.

Any further step towards NATO membership would just have escalated the situation quicker.

Sanctions don't work quickly at least. But should be put in place regardless.
It only takes time because we want it to take time.

Given the combined will of existing NATO members it could and should have been done.

I believe one requirement for membership is that your country cannot be already in an ongoing conflict. So the low boil war in Donbas these last years was effectively a veto to membership. If Ukraine was allowed to join it would have been in essence an immediate declaration of war beween NATO and Russia. I am likely oversimplifying that, but the rationale is something along those lines.
Those are our rules, no reason why we couldn't have bent them. (Us as in NATO).

I 100% don’t fancy us going to war with Russia, so really not pushing for that. But can someone explain to me how the uk and USA just disregarded their treaty that they signed to protect Ukraine’s territorial integrity when Ukraine gave up their nuclear weapons?

As we've seen around the world the process from step 1 to 2 in that is often rather complex if not impossible in the short term at least.

That, to me, obviously does not in any way justify what Putin is currently up to. Whatever he's actually up to.

Not just the current tanks or ground troops. The entire process. Putin is an old school expansionist, imperialist, anti democratic bastard. Only restrained from reaching his full bastard capacity through the sheer existance of the modern world around him. He should be resisted by any way deemed safe and appropriate.

As I wrote this yesterday I thought about if I was being too harsh on Putin.

As I think about it today I feel I've been much too generous in my description. Words fail to accurately describe what I currently think and feel about this complete and utter trash of a human being. Nope. That's being too harsh on trash and still too generous to the cowardly lying diarrhea stain. Nope. That won't do either. Someone more articulate than me please step in.

Thoughts and feelings instead with all those directly and inderectly suffering as a result of this.

As I wrote this yesterday I thought about if I was being too harsh on Putin.

As I think about it today I feel I've been much too generous in my description. Words fail to accurately describe what I currently think and feel about this complete and utter trash of a human being. Nope. That's being too harsh on trash and still too generous to the cowardly lying diarrhea stain. Nope. That won't do either. Someone more articulate than me please step in.

Thoughts and feelings instead with all those directly and inderectly suffering as a result of this.
Thoughts and feelings, is that the NATO equivalent of hopes and prayers? ;)

Read that he wants British and American troops and weapons out of Romania and Poland next.

Let's see how the wonderful and great EU respond to this. It is now done to our great leaders in Europe to protect us. I have every faith in them:(

Since the immediate post was period, Russia has made the presence of buffer states between it and it's perceived enemies as an on going strategic aim. Losing 20 millions dead does that I'm afraid. I see this invasion as an extension of that policy. I really didn't think Putin would do it, but he has gone right off the reservation with this one.

It’s such a minor point considering the gravity of the situation but it irks me so much when people refer to Ukraine as “The Ukraine”, which is an abbreviation of when it was indeed a USSR state. Even if the posts / statuses are well intentioned it doesn’t change the lack of awareness and people doesn’t usually appreciate being corrected.

Back