• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mighty Spurs vs SCBC

I think we will come up short for top 4. I look at our bench and don’t see the depth there that could swing a game like last nights in our favour.

the squad is really short in some key positions (RWB, striker) and I think it’ll end up being our undoing

In hindsight when Kulu came on for Lucas, he perhaps should have played in midfield just ahead of winks and bentancur. Hopefully soon we can pair skipp and bentancur.

On tv the atmosphere sounded great but many here saying it sucked. Strange because on tv the atmosphere against brighton sounded poor but many here said it was great :confused:

As for the booing I doubt I’d do it myself but to me it made sense doing it at half time as a way to tell the players to wake up and sort it out. Full time booing (if it happened) would have been harsh as we clearly gave our all that half but we weren’t good enough whilst saints put in one of their best displays in their history.

Top 4 going to be difficult, think man utd will go on a run soon and wrap it up. Just dont want to end up in the conference again.

I think we will come up short for top 4. I look at our bench and don’t see the depth there that could swing a game like last nights in our favour.

the squad is really short in some key positions (RWB, striker) and I think it’ll end up being our undoing

I think we’ll be right there, have it in our hands, and bottle it.

Ship 5 goals to already relegated Norwich.

Just started MOTD and it said that they made 10 changes form their Fa cup game at the weekend
That may explain about more about energy and movement
Doesn’t explain inability to go the basics of course

I wasn't there last night but I think the boos are because of the following reasons:
1 - "same players, different coach" - has never sounded truer. These same players have been producing performances like this for the last 3 years.
2 - Conte referred to it in his press conference. The players lost confidence and stopped running/pressing and passing forwards. He asked them to respond at HT and to take risks even if it meant losing the ball. Consequently we improved. The fact he's having to tell professional footballers to do that tells me its still a very mentally weak bunch. Its cowardice and no paying fan expects to see that on the pitch.
3 - I doubt there would be boos if we'd played OK or competed to a decent level. But there was absolutely nothing of merit in that first half. We were totally dominated from start to finish and it was a miracle we were level.

There is a lot of goodwill and patience for Conte himself but when the same individuals produce the same car-crash level of performance as a collective, minds simply return to the previous era and all the bad feeling returns.

Conte has done a damn fine job in masking those issues thus far but fans aren't going to accept that level of performance from the group. Individuals can have poor performances but when you get 7 or 8 unable to pass a ball despite being given all the framework and training to produce a performance then there is going to be a reaction and rightly so.

As you can probably tell I was absolutely furious watching that first half unfold on TV.

I've bolded phrases from your post where you use generalities. You need to use specifics. Name names, cite incidents, point out tactical flaws. Otherwise this is wasted rage.

we have signed almost 2 new elevens since that window, I don't think we can blame anything on that now

Whilst it's true that we've signed plenty of players since Pochettino begged for new furniture, we've had such a haphazard merry-go-round of managers since then that by the time any recruit has acclimatised they're often unsuitable for the tactics of the latest head coach.

Such as Emerson who probably would be fine as RB in a flat back 4 but clearly not accustomed to playing RWB and (with hindsight) we probably would’ve been better off keeping Walker-Peters than part-exchanging him for Hojbjerg.

If we'd signed replacements for Demebele plus Eriksen a couple of windows earlier then training alongside those 2 might’ve helped the new recruits learn exactly what it takes to fill those big shoes plus playing in a team which was flying high in the league would’ve made their assimilation easier.

Instead, by the time we recruited Ndombele and Lo Celso our PL form had already been in a rut for months and that malaise which had taken hold of the squad is proving to be difficult to reverse even for a world class manager like Conte.

I sit in the corner in the lower east/south stand and had full view of the defensive shambles on the right side of our team

We were well in our rights to boo and express our displeasure.

We couldn't keep the ball, making stupid mistakes - felt like Emirates Marketing Project were in town.

As fans we are in our right to boot the players up the backside if we don't like what we see....

I wasn't there last night but I think the boos are because of the following reasons:
1 - "same players, different coach" - has never sounded truer. These same players have been producing performances like this for the last 3 years.
2 - Conte referred to it in his press conference. The players lost confidence and stopped running/pressing and passing forwards. He asked them to respond at HT and to take risks even if it meant losing the ball. Consequently we improved. The fact he's having to tell professional footballers to do that tells me its still a very mentally weak bunch. Its cowardice and no paying fan expects to see that on the pitch.
3 - I doubt there would be boos if we'd played OK or competed to a decent level. But there was absolutely nothing of merit in that first half. We were totally dominated from start to finish and it was a miracle we were level.

There is a lot of goodwill and patience for Conte himself but when the same individuals produce the same car-crash level of performance as a collective, minds simply return to the previous era and all the bad feeling returns.

Conte has done a damn fine job in masking those issues thus far but fans aren't going to accept that level of performance from the group. Individuals can have poor performances but when you get 7 or 8 unable to pass a ball despite being given all the framework and training to produce a performance then there is going to be a reaction and rightly so.

As you can probably tell I was absolutely furious watching that first half unfold on TV.

same old, same old is'nt it!

arse fans do a lot of booing when things arn,t going their way..they are much worse than our fans
and they have a bulging trophy cabinet.
Are fans can be great but they don,t have a decent team they can believe in..I do concur though
..support matters..just get the fans a team that stop making giant rooster ups week and week out!year in year out!
Also..wheres that psychologist..:eek::rolleyes:

If any of these quivering, mentally weak thickos in our team had any self-awareness, they'd realize that the fans chanting 'Antonioooo', is a reflection on them as much as it is relief that Conte is here.

The crowd don't trust this lot on the pitch to deliver. At all. So they put their faith in the man on the touchline, because GHod knows the lumbering sods on the field have let them down enough times.

It should deeply embarass them, but I doubt it will.

We made two good signings that Conte wanted. The usual few keep bringing up the Jan transfer window but show me any clubs signings that we should be jealous of?
As normal and as Conte said himself, the winter transfer window is very difficult and there's very little good business done.

To much sense in that for some.

I felt we switched off at 2-1, thought we’d won it. It was psychological. If Dier was playing that would not have happened IMO. Ditto Skipp. I was appalled by the booing. Thought atmosphere was fine all told, though I wish for once after a weird first-half like that, the team could leave the pitch to a defiant ‘COYS’ as opposed to booing. Yes, I live in utopias…

I felt we switched off at 2-1, thought we’d won it. It was psychological. If Dier was playing that would not have happened IMO. Ditto Skipp. I was appalled by the booing. Thought atmosphere was fine all told, though I wish for once after a weird first-half like that, the team could leave the pitch to a defiant ‘COYS’ as opposed to booing. Yes, I live in utopias…
Hear, hear. And as for the boo phalanx, it is certainly their right to boo, but booing will not make the players play any better at all. It's utterly counter-productive. I can't recall booing 'back in the day', and I'm old enough to have seen us get tonked 5-0 by the Goons, and I recall that the relegation side got a rousing round of applause at the end of that dreadful season. Maybe the boo phalanx could just tweet/snapchat.tiktok their disapproval and in real life try and support the team.

Conte for me also needs to be called out regarding his tactic and selection in this match. He made an error in central midfield.

This is absolutely right. We lacked aggression first half and he addressed that at half time to be fair. But the shape was all wrong and, to be fair to Winks, that hurt him in terms of performance. I don't give PEH the same leeway because his distribution was abominable. For a pro footballer to give away some of the passes he did was criminal.

Against Leicester, we played 3 in midfield and bossed the game pretty much although we did also cough up chances. Since then, we basically handed midfield to Chelsea by almost playing a back 6 and got bummed by Southampton with 2 in the middle. No idea why Conte didn't change when it was clear the system was causing most of our problems.

Conte for me also needs to be called out regarding his tactic and selection in this match. He made an error in central midfield.

Not sure it's an error as such. The plan is fine, fine enough at least, there would have been downsides to a midfield three as well.

I think people may overestimate some of our recent performances, we have been good, definitely better, but we haven't really been great. This performance and result shouldn't be a surprise imo.

We've gotten results in the past taking our chances with a more counter attacking setup. That may very well have been the right approach against Southampton too even if it didn't work out.

Southampton, playing like that in the first half are a very good team. We would have struggled with a different setup too. Perhaps a bit more control, but at the cost of fewer counter attacking options. Don't think it's fair to call or an error as such.

This is absolutely right. We lacked aggression first half and he addressed that at half time to be fair. But the shape was all wrong and, to be fair to Winks, that hurt him in terms of performance. I don't give PEH the same leeway because his distribution was abominable. For a pro footballer to give away some of the passes he did was criminal.

Against Leicester, we played 3 in midfield and bossed the game pretty much although we did also cough up chances. Since then, we basically handed midfield to Chelsea by almost playing a back 6 and got bummed by Southampton with 2 in the middle. No idea why Conte didn't change when it was clear the system was causing most of our problems.

I agree completely with this.

Too often Lucas is anonymous in games, with the last two shining examples. And that should not happen at home to brighton and soton. Not his fault necessarily, but perhaps we aren’t strong enough in other positions to play a 343 effectively. Its time to routinely play 352.

lloris
romero, dier, davies
doherty, skipp, bentancur, reguilon
kulu
kane, son

Kulu can then drop in to make it a 3 in midfield where needed, whilst generally playing just ahead of skipp and bentancur.

If he struggles in that role, then winks or hojbjerg could come in for him and rotate the specific roles the selected midfield 3 perform accordingly.

I will be very disappointed if conte just sends out the same front 3 and formation against wolves. It will just lead to another good team dominating us like brighton and soton did, and we will just be relying on ‘moments’ from son and kane to get us out of jail.

A successful end to our season hinges on these changes being made asap.

I agree completely with this.

Too often Lucas is anonymous in games, with the last two shining examples. And that should not happen at home to brighton and soton. Not his fault necessarily, but perhaps we aren’t strong enough in other positions to play a 343 effectively. Its time to routinely play 352.

lloris
romero, dier, davies
doherty, skipp, bentancur, reguilon
kulu
kane, son

Kulu can then drop in to make it a 3 in midfield where needed, whilst generally playing just ahead of skipp and bentancur.

If he struggles in that role, then winks or hojbjerg could come in for him and rotate the specific roles the selected midfield 3 perform accordingly.

I will be very disappointed if conte just sends out the same front 3 and formation against wolves. It will just lead to another good team dominating us like brighton and soton did, and we will just be relying on ‘moments’ from son and kane to get us out of jail.

A successful end to our season hinges on these changes being made asap.

The front three have nit shone, mainly because the passing of those behind them has been atrocious.

Back