• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mighty Spurs vs SCBC

I was in shock when 85 minutes in he was in a chase to get the ball near their corner flag and he didn't even put up a fight, is he really that slow. I thought he was signed as a pacy winger who could cut in - like a souped up version of Bergwyn.

I don't think anyone claimed he was pacy, but he does look slow for a professional footballer.

I don't think anyone claimed he was pacy, but he does look slow for a professional footballer.

Slow is putting it mildly, even Terry would beat him in a sprint by the looks of it. Early days but not sure what he offers that we already don't have in Moura and Bergwyn. Looks like just an alternative squad filler to me.

First half was poor, but Southampton are a very good team when playing like that and their strength (pressing) exploits one of our main weaknesses.

Second half was alright, they faded a bit in their pressing as expected. Couple of failures from us to defend well enough when organised and where we should be in control.

Very frustrating, nothing new really.

We clearly shot ourselves in the foot in January. We dillied and dallied until the last day and when we couldn’t get the players we wanted we made 2 last minute transfers to keep conte and the fans mouthes shut.

We may still be in pole position for 4th but if we keep pulling brick like yesterday off we are not getting that position. Lets hope these last 2 games were a blip but seriously we should not be losing to southampton at home

The players / coaching staff clearly saw us posting “The worst performances are behind us” on here and took that on as some kind of challenge. Alas GG to blame again ;)

I listened on the radio and have watched the highlights so I’m not best placed to comment, but I will say, what’s Royal meant to do marking two players at the back post whilst uncontested crosses are being whipped in? He may have had a mare apart from that but from those isolated incidents, I wouldn’t know but carbon copy goal twice does not look good on anyone system wise.

I did not need to come into my work to a Cheshire-cat grin from my Southampton-supporting team-mate as he was wearing their shirt.
And the adjacent desk decorated with a Saints flag.

Tested my self-control somewhat

We clearly shot ourselves in the foot in January. We dillied and dallied until the last day and when we couldn’t get the players we wanted we made 2 last minute transfers to keep conte and the fans mouthes shut.

We may still be in pole position for 4th but if we keep pulling brick like yesterday off we are not getting that position. Lets hope these last 2 games were a blip but seriously we should not be losing to southampton at home
We made two good signings that Conte wanted. The usual few keep bringing up the Jan transfer window but show me any clubs signings that we should be jealous of?
As normal and as Conte said himself, the winter transfer window is very difficult and there's very little good business done.

Yeah. Think we've gotten away with it a bit since Conte came in and had a relatively easy fixture list. Tonight we were easily second best and you could see the lads who aren't good enough and will always let you down under pressure. Sanchez, Emerson (at the moment), Winks, PEH, Moura to an extent. Not sure they cut it when the chips are down.

I have absolute faith in Conte but last two league games he’s made mistakes.

Final word on our support. I might take some stick for this but I thought we were poor. Our away support always sound amazing, tonight it was quiet for a lot of it. That, I can sort of live with. 50,000 home fans, to a man, aren’t gonna sing like 5,000 away fans. But booing the team at half time when it’s 1-1 v Southampton? A sizeable exodus when their second went in? A bigger exodus when the third went in?

I know people pay their money and it’s a midweek game and lots have a commute. But if yer gonna have a go at the players and, as a fan, you’re booing and leaving 10 mins early with the game finely balanced, it’s a bit poor.
Agree with all of this. Our home fans only seem to get up for the rivals or 'big' teams. The flat atmosphere can't help the team. Can't be bothered to get behind the team but quick to boo at half time when we are drawing 1-1 with a decent side. Embarrassing and entitled.

Our support is very fickle at the moment. I was braced for the booing at half time, I knew it was coming. I don't agree with booing at all, personally, but I can understand - sometimes - why it happens. If there's a lack of effort being put in, there is some justification. Effort wasn't the issue tonight though, and as you say, 1-1 at half time wasn't one of those times for boos. We hadn't played well but I really don't understand what booing is supposed to achieve.
Let's hope Sunday is better, on and off the pitch.

I wasn't there last night but I think the boos are because of the following reasons:
1 - "same players, different coach" - has never sounded truer. These same players have been producing performances like this for the last 3 years.
2 - Conte referred to it in his press conference. The players lost confidence and stopped running/pressing and passing forwards. He asked them to respond at HT and to take risks even if it meant losing the ball. Consequently we improved. The fact he's having to tell professional footballers to do that tells me its still a very mentally weak bunch. Its cowardice and no paying fan expects to see that on the pitch.
3 - I doubt there would be boos if we'd played OK or competed to a decent level. But there was absolutely nothing of merit in that first half. We were totally dominated from start to finish and it was a miracle we were level.

There is a lot of goodwill and patience for Conte himself but when the same individuals produce the same car-crash level of performance as a collective, minds simply return to the previous era and all the bad feeling returns.

Conte has done a damn fine job in masking those issues thus far but fans aren't going to accept that level of performance from the group. Individuals can have poor performances but when you get 7 or 8 unable to pass a ball despite being given all the framework and training to produce a performance then there is going to be a reaction and rightly so.

As you can probably tell I was absolutely furious watching that first half unfold on TV.

Hugely frustrating night but credit to Southampton who to be fair were excellent all night and fully deserved it.

We need to move forward and learn lessons. I hope that with every performance we see like this under Conte, the lessons and failings become more apparent about what we need to improve. And yes that includes Conte himself, we can blame the lack of technicians in the squad but Southampton have twice played us off the park 11 v 11. We hugely struggle with any competent pressing side at the moment.

I'm not expecting us to get top 4 in all honesty. Whenever we have done in the past I comfortably felt we were the fourth best side in the league. At no point have I been confident of that this season so far.

But I'm hopeful we will continue to improve. Its horrible to drop 3 points from that position but lets just give Southampton their fair dues and move forward.

Pros: Bentancur looks like he will be one of our best and most important players. Trying not to get carried away

When it works its great but when this formation fails it really does look like s**t doesn't it. Like a 5 2 3 with 2 CMs getting overrun and destroyed in the middle.
I much prefer the 3 5 2 with 3 CMs but even then we needed to add more than Bentancur to strengthen in the middle. I guess we have to wait until the summer and see what we do, If we add a Bissouma or Kessie etc and toughen up in midfield then we could improve quite a bit.

It's starting to feel like a long time since we dominated possession in 99% of games.

Agree with all of this. Our home fans only seem to get up for the rivals or 'big' teams. The flat atmosphere can't help the team. Can't be bothered to get behind the team but quick to boo at half time when we are drawing 1-1 with a decent side. Embarrassing and entitled.
Yeah I was there last night and it was brick from the start. We were quiet.

The players / coaching staff clearly saw us posting “The worst performances are behind us” on here and took that on as some kind of challenge. Alas GG to blame again ;)

I listened on the radio and have watched the highlights so I’m not best placed to comment, but I will say, what’s Royal meant to do marking two players at the back post whilst uncontested crosses are being whipped in? He may have had a mare apart from that but from those isolated incidents, I wouldn’t know but carbon copy goal twice does not look good on anyone system wise.

The bolded bit made me literally laugh out loud, well done you've cheered me up.

Didn’t hear any boos or see many leaving early where I sit (about half way up the south stand)

but agree that the atmosphere is flat for these types of games. Most fans seem to be almost willing us to mess up so they can have an ‘I told you so’ moan about whoever they blame (levy, hojberg, etc)

it’s hard work at times

Hugely frustrating night but credit to Southampton who to be fair were excellent all night and fully deserved it.

We need to move forward and learn lessons. I hope that with every performance we see like this under Conte, the lessons and failings become more apparent about what we need to improve. And yes that includes Conte himself, we can blame the lack of technicians in the squad but Southampton have twice played us off the park 11 v 11. We hugely struggle with any competent pressing side at the moment.

I'm not expecting us to get top 4 in all honesty. Whenever we have done in the past I comfortably felt we were the fourth best side in the league. At no point have I been confident of that this season so far.

But I'm hopeful we will continue to improve. Its horrible to drop 3 points from that position but lets just give Southampton their fair dues and move forward.

Pros: Bentancur looks like he will be one of our best and most important players. Trying not to get carried away

Aren't the fourth best team, but we might be the 17th least worst.
None of teams around us particularly good.

Back