• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Ice-Hockey Thread ***

They do look good. Mind you, they did take a 7-1 thumping from the Much Maligned Maple Leafs not long ago.

Yeah, that was an odd one. Had a few injuries and was quite unlucky, but there are some question marks with a few of the defenders on the lower lines. We've scored 7 goals in, what is it, 6 or 7 games this season as well though!

And honestly, I still think the team lacks a bit of grit needed in the playoffs. And Kuempfer, I'm just not convinced.

Kuemper. No 'f'.

Here's a pretty cool youtube performance by Minnesota's Cory Wong and The Wongnotes, artists who are part of the broader musical legacy created by the late, great Prince in Minneapolis.

Hockey meets Jazz/Funk on skates. Recorded live and on ice at the fabulous Charles 'Peanuts' Schultz Arena. The track Smokeshow - at 13:09 - is a highlight. And, yes, that's Cory hisself doing both announcer parts.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was an odd one. Had a few injuries and was quite unlucky, but there are some question marks with a few of the defenders on the lower lines. We've scored 7 goals in, what is it, 6 or 7 games this season as well though!

And honestly, I still think the team lacks a bit of grit needed in the playoffs. And Kuempfer, I'm just not convinced.

We haven't lost in regulation since October, I think we're gonna be fine until the playoffs, where we have a bit of a mental block in recent years.

This team should be making the conference finals MINIMUM, but we shall see.

Kuemper. No 'f'.

Here's a pretty cool youtube performance by Minnesota's Cory Wong and The Wongnotes, artists who are part of the broader musical legacy created by the late, great Prince in Minneapolis.

Hockey meets Jazz/Funk on skates. Recorded live and on ice at the fabulous Charles 'Peanuts' Schultz Arena. The track Smokeshow - at 13:09 - is a highlight. And, yes, that's Cory hisself doing both announcer parts.

Haha, my bad, I keep writing that. :p

Conference final at the very least - hopefully! :)

We haven't lost in regulation since October...

Ahh, but that overtime shootout loss to the dreadful Arizona Coyotes was a real low point. According to ESPN, the bookies are calling it the biggest upset based on betting odds in the past decade.

Mind you, the Coyotes also knocked off the Maple Leafs earlier this season. Bad dogs.

Ahh, but that overtime shootout loss to the dreadful Arizona Coyotes was a real low point. According to ESPN, the bookies are calling it the biggest upset based on betting odds in the past decade.

Mind you, the Coyotes also knocked off the Maple Leafs earlier this season. Bad dogs.

Those losses will always pop up every now and then, being a SO/OT loss softens the blow a bit maybe.

I haven't paid much attention to the Leafs so far this season, finished the All or Nothing the other day, was rather good I thought.

The Leafs? This is all you really need to know:

26nhl-matthews-mcdavid2-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

HJ7XQ4WUCNJW3CTXPWY35UWVGE.JPG

hockey-nhl-tor-njd--e1643685934565.jpg

Auston Matthews, baby. Bending the shaft, bulging the twine. Stressing my shutter finger.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Here's one the Colorado fans will like - team captain Gabriel Landeskog absolutely blowing up Auston Matthews 2-3 years back. Big fan of Landeskog. He played for two seasons with the Kitchener Rangers juniors, where I work as team photog.

WycEcHj.jpg

Oh, they breed them fightin' habits early and often in the good ol' hockey game, eh? Dudes are out there skatin' around, lugging them carbon fibre shillelaghs, colliding at 30+ mph, laying on a slash or a whack every so often, leaving a mark or even a bone bruise or two. A feller's gotta take matters into his own hands and sort that schit out.

Here's a lively bout from junior hockey this season. Some context before we roll tape, eh.

Mark Woolley is the resident goon of the stinkin' Owen Sound Attack, a talentless thug destined for a long, painful, low-paying career ridin' the buses of the minor hockey circuit earning a hard living chucking knuckles and scoring the odd goal.

Earlier this season, he taunts and abuses Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Roman Schmidt, a defenseman with the Kitchener Rangers. They drop the gloves and go. Woolley knocks him down, breaks off and as the linesmen grapple and guide him to the penalty box, he makes the title belt gesture as he passes the Rangers bench and hollers "Who's next!?"

Arber Xhekaj marks his dance card.

Arber was suspended for that game but was back for their next one. Arber is one of the great stories in junior hockey. Undrafted as a 15-year-old into the Ontario Hockey League, the 6'3" defenseman with an absolute gun for a shot and a penchant for heavy bodychecks, shows up as a walk-on tryout player with Kitchener. The coaches see his raw potential and sign him up. His first year is all about getting him to skate better and read the play more clearly, tutored by assistant coach Dennis Wideman, who played over 800 NHL games with Calgary and Boston. He steadily improves.

Second season, he establishes himself as a physical presence on the Rangers blueline while taking a regular position on power plays. His improved skating leads to him getting noticed by NHL scouts but when the big league draft day comes, he's passed over again. But wait. The Montreal Canadiens offer him a chance to skate in their rookie tryout camp. He totally dominates. So, the Habs tell him to join their main training camp and, again, he impresses, getting into a handful of pre-season games. Camp ends and the Habs have a choice - sign him to an entry level contract or let him walk as a free agent for any team to sign.

He signs a three-year entry level contract for $850,000 per season plus a six-figure signing bonus. Then, Montreal sends him back to the junior Rangers to hone his craft and continue to develop leadership skills.

This is the guy Goon Woolley was looking to battle with when he challenged the Rangers bench.

Absolutely. Here's one the Colorado fans will like - team captain Gabriel Landeskog absolutely blowing up Auston Matthews 2-3 years back. Big fan of Landeskog. He played for two seasons with the Kitchener Rangers juniors, where I work as team photog.

WycEcHj.jpg

Nice! Landeskog is such a legend. Excellent player and seems like such an all around great guy.

Nice! Landeskog is such a legend. Excellent player and seems like such an all around great guy.

If he doesn't lift the cup in the Avs jersey it will be one of those crappy nearly stories...

I need a Landy Jersey with a Cup patch to go with my 96 Sakic and 01 Bourque.

Oh, they breed them fightin' habits early and often in the good ol' hockey game, eh? Dudes are out there skatin' around, lugging them carbon fibre shillelaghs, colliding at 30+ mph, laying on a slash or a whack every so often, leaving a mark or even a bone bruise or two. A feller's gotta take matters into his own hands and sort that schit out.

Here's a lively bout from junior hockey this season. Some context before we roll tape, eh.

Mark Woolley is the resident goon of the stinkin' Owen Sound Attack, a talentless thug destined for a long, painful, low-paying career ridin' the buses of the minor hockey circuit earning a hard living chucking knuckles and scoring the odd goal.

Earlier this season, he taunts and abuses Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Roman Schmidt, a defenseman with the Kitchener Rangers. They drop the gloves and go. Woolley knocks him down, breaks off and as the linesmen grapple and guide him to the penalty box, he makes the title belt gesture as he passes the Rangers bench and hollers "Who's next!?"

Arber Xhekaj marks his dance card.

Arber was suspended for that game but was back for their next one. Arber is one of the great stories in junior hockey. Undrafted as a 15-year-old into the Ontario Hockey League, the 6'3" defenseman with an absolute gun for a shot and a penchant for heavy bodychecks, shows up as a walk-on tryout player with Kitchener. The coaches see his raw potential and sign him up. His first year is all about getting him to skate better and read the play more clearly, tutored by assistant coach Dennis Wideman, who played over 800 NHL games with Calgary and Boston. He steadily improves.

Second season, he establishes himself as a physical presence on the Rangers blueline while taking a regular position on power plays. His improved skating leads to him getting noticed by NHL scouts but when the big league draft day comes, he's passed over again. But wait. The Montreal Canadiens offer him a chance to skate in their rookie tryout camp. He totally dominates. So, the Habs tell him to join their main training camp and, again, he impresses, getting into a handful of pre-season games. Camp ends and the Habs have a choice - sign him to an entry level contract or let him walk as a free agent for any team to sign.

He signs a three-year entry level contract for $850,000 per season plus a six-figure signing bonus. Then, Montreal sends him back to the junior Rangers to hone his craft and continue to develop leadership skills.

This is the guy Goon Woolley was looking to battle with when he challenged the Rangers bench.

Love it, I used to go to EIHL games back in the day at the London Arena for The London Knights (our version...) and then Ally Pally / Lea Valley for the London Racers and film the tillys on a camcorder, there was a bit of a tape trading circuit for fights back then. The teams in London had such a small following back then that you could really get close to the players and get to know them. Used to show the goons their fights back at the end of games. During the lockout 04/05 we had Eric Cairns and Wade Belak over here and they used to come find me to show them their fight. When Theo Fleury was at Belfast he caused a line brawl and had some fun watching it back in the bar afterwards.

"oh I got him good there eh?"

I'm mildly surprised that Belak and Cairns still relished a bit of 'dukeage' when they each played their single season in the EIHL - 178 penalty mins for Belak, 142 for Cairns. Big, tough boys that I first photographed in their junior days back in the earl '90s and then well into their NHL careers. But being established NHLers when the 04-05 lockout happened, I thought they'd play abroad just to keep fit, not fighting fit. Wrong-ohhh!

If you haven't seen this site yet, it's a beauty.

www.hockeydb.com

It has the career stats of any player you can think of who played major junior, minor pro or NHL. Plus Europe.

I'm mildly surprised that Belak and Cairns still relished a bit of 'dukeage' when they each played their single season in the EIHL - 178 penalty mins for Belak, 142 for Cairns. Big, tough boys that I first photographed in their junior days back in the earl '90s and then well into their NHL careers. But being established NHLers when the 04-05 lockout happened, I thought they'd play abroad just to keep fit, not fighting fit. Wrong-ohhh!

If you haven't seen this site yet, it's a beauty.

www.hockeydb.com

It has the career stats of any player you can think of who played major junior, minor pro or NHL. Plus Europe.

Think they came over to help their mates out over here and just get some ice time, both we’re looking for scraps in every game I saw them in, was wonderful to be honest.

They even had a lovely scrap in Coventry when Cairns lost his head and went after everyone…

3 min mark always gets me… Cairns got banned for the playoffs for that.

Kuemper was outstanding against Vegas, made a lot of incredible saves. I hope I need to eat my words as he's ramping up his playoff form. :D

Back