• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mighty Spurs vs SCBC

Holding is top notch !

Varane is class . I’d have all of City’s and Chelski’s CBs over Dier , Davies and Sanchez.

Coady , Webster , Dunk all better than Sanchez and Davies in my view. Would it be that hard to find a league proven CB ? Sanchez is a car crash .

put them in a Spurs shirt, behind this midfield, a whole new ballgame for them

You mean Centre of the 3? Think that’ll be Dier short term, I’m not sure even Van Dijk can make Sanchez Royal and Davies look top players!

yeah, that's why I'd put Dier in there, he's not perfect, but he's consistent

that's because that dipper clam is brick

Lets face it we were beaten by the better side on the day. From the first whistle they were all over us, had over 75% of the possession and we couldn't get out of our half. We got lucky with the own goal and scored from one of our very few chances. I hate to think what the XG was but it was certainly a thouroughly deserved result for Southampton. We conceded the initiative from the start and never wrestled it back. Even when we were ahead they were still all over us.

Yes we had Dier and Skipp out and our defence was pretty awful at times. But our midfield never established a foothold in the match. Reason - we don't have a centre forward who can hold the ball up and allow us time to get men forward. Kane had one of his No 10 games and never competed with their centre halves. Result - the ball just keeps coming back for us to defend. Southampton's passing game and crossing were almost always spot on, ours however was our usual poor delivery (the two goals excepted). Unless we sign a top centre forward who can hold the ball up we will always be susceptible to these type of teams.

Well done to Southampton, hard for me to say, but they really deserved all three points today. We simply must start on the front foot against Wolves on Sunday to try and repair some of the damage caused tonight.

That stems from the middle of the pitch . We just surrender possession. I’d like to see a three man midfield. We lack control in there.

I know it’s the way Conte likes to play but defence is not good enough to be under pressure for majority of game

Yeah I think that's a good point. You could see early we had a problem in midfield from a numbers perspective. That two of our midfielders were Winks and PEH just made it worse.

Defied belief that Conte left it continue for so long.

Yeah I think that's a good point. You could see early we had a problem in midfield from a numbers perspective. That two of our midfielders were Winks and PEH just made it worse.

We looked useful when Kane dropped in and made up the numbers . To play the system we have to press high. We did not do it until start of second half

If we are not going to press aggressively we have to play an extra CM

oh well . On to Sunday ! No point dwelling.

Reggie's attacking stats must we woeful. This game alone he should have slotted a goal home, and had at least one assist. I agree Royal is no better going forward. But he's younger and only just joined.

His conversion rate relative to xG is indeed terrible, because he gets into a *lot* of good positions per game. Iirc, if you go by his heatmaps + positional xG when receiving the ball, he's actually the player most likely to receive the ball in a high xG position in the entire side - not Kane, not Son, not Lucas, Reguilon.

Lets face it we were beaten by the better side on the day. From the first whistle they were all over us, had over 75% of the possession and we couldn't get out of our half. We got lucky with the own goal and scored from one of our very few chances. I hate to think what the XG was but it was certainly a thouroughly deserved result for Southampton. We conceded the initiative from the start and never wrestled it back. Even when we were ahead they were still all over us.

Yes we had Dier and Skipp out and our defence was pretty awful at times. But our midfield never established a foothold in the match. Reason - we don't have a centre forward who can hold the ball up and allow us time to get men forward. Kane had one of his No 10 games and never competed with their centre halves. Result - the ball just keeps coming back for us to defend. Southampton's passing game and crossing were almost always spot on, ours however was our usual poor delivery (the two goals excepted). Unless we sign a top centre forward who can hold the ball up we will always be susceptible to these type of teams.

Well done to Southampton, hard for me to say, but they really deserved all three points today. We simply must start on the front foot against Wolves on Sunday to try and repair some of the damage caused tonight.
Kane wasn't the issue, until Bentancur came on we had nobody in midfield that could pass the ball forward, it was just aimless punts.
The only time there was any quality in midfield was when Kane dropped deep and made the pass himself.

Possibly. But it was more to the point they are league proven and are better than Sanchez

they've had good performances in mid to lower half teams for whom the sky doesn't fall in if they lose a game, the pressure and expectation just isn't the same, look how maguire and stones dropped off

I like Sanchez, we can work with him, better the devil you know

I was glad to get rid of Ndomeble, but it's not always as simple as a player being not good enough, Leeds were happy to move on Cantona, Inter to move on Pirlo, Bordeaux with Zidane, football is full of such tales. Apparently we even tried to bin of Bale at one point.
Now that they are here, I agree we should give them time and support. They could become great signings. I would have loved that Diaz fellow more than Kulu, because he was largely viewed as the best player în Portugal. While Kulu was a bench player at Juventus and didn't impress în the few matches I saw them play, but it is what it is. Both of our guys are young and Conte can easily improve them.

they've had good performances in mid to lower half teams for whom the sky doesn't fall in if they lose a game, the pressure and expectation just isn't the same, look how maguire and stones dropped off

I like Sanchez, we can work with him, better the devil you know
Maguire was always pony in my opinion .

It’s certainly a position we need to improve in the summer without fail

His conversion rate relative to xG is indeed terrible, because he gets into a *lot* of good positions per game. Iirc, if you go by his heatmaps + positional xG when receiving the ball, he's actually the player most likely to receive the ball in a high xG position in the entire side - not Kane, not Son, not Lucas, Reguilon.
Play Son at LWB :)

Last edited:
Maguire was always pony in my opinion .

It’s certainly a position we need to improve in the summer without fail

we should improve every position if we can, I'm just not sure how feasible it is for some slots, where if you have a player with some strengths already, improve their weaknesses and scheme to their strengths

the answer shouldn't always be a new signing, coaching and management is supposed to improve players too

Imagine trying to calm Sanchez and Emerson when they have an evening like that...

Is Dier the answer to that question because I think you raise a fair point. We looked uncomfortable all evening and never had control.
Dier is the only move we can make until the summer. He makes his own fair share of mistakes, but looks a lot better on the ball than Sanchez, Davies and Emerson.

Put any one of our players in another teams colour's and they'd probably all look twice the player. Look at Doherty at Wolves compared to the Spurs version. There's a pressure at Spurs because we are supposed to be a big club but the whole Sperzy tag probably does get into their heads.

Kane wasn't the issue, until Bentancur came on we had nobody in midfield that could pass the ball forward, it was just aimless punts.
The only time there was any quality in midfield was when Kane dropped deep and made the pass himself.

Exactly my point. This is why we need a centre forward. Kane prefers to play as a 10. We have noone who can hold up the play up front.

Put any one of our players in another teams colour's and they'd probably all look twice the player. Look at Doherty at Wolves compared to the Spurs version. There's a pressure at Spurs because we are supposed to be a big club but the whole Sperzy tag probably does get into their heads.

Right, then. Red, orange, yellow, green. Dress 'em up.

Not claret. Under any circumstances. So gauche.

Agreed. Southampton were completely dominating us in the first half. Why didnt Conte change things at halftime?

Back