• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Manager Sack Watch

What do you mean by the "portrayal of the unsavoury religious elements"? All I see is the pope kicking a haggis - not sure that's unsavoury?
That said, you can't seperate Religious hatred and bigotry from Scottish football - uncomfortable or not, it exists in the Scottish League.
The Scots are not all hate filed bigots, I agree. But the cartoon isn't about the Scottish, it's about the Scottish League - which does include hate filed bigotry, often (certainly from a publicity point of view) is linked to religion (well, according to the perpetrators - whether it's actually religious is a different conversation).
But I still don't see this in the image. I see a link with Catholicism, but the Pope isn't attacking anyone in the image - he is just playing football with the Queen.

I will admit I don't understand what the guy behind the Pope is supposed to represent. Perhaps that is a bit of key missing information for me?

It's interesting how different people view things. As soon as I saw that panel, the Queen (Protestant>>Unionist) vs the Pope (Catholic>>Nationalist), each looking somewhat determined, if not aggressive, in their game of football, the immediate connection or innuendo for me was the Rangers v Celtic type of sectarian affiliation, albeit in a cartoony, jokey way. A bit more than "just" playing football with the Queen.

What do you mean by the "portrayal of the unsavoury religious elements"? All I see is the pope kicking a haggis - not sure that's unsavoury?
That said, you can't seperate Religious hatred and bigotry from Scottish football - uncomfortable or not, it exists in the Scottish League.
The Scots are not all hate filed bigots, I agree. But the cartoon isn't about the Scottish, it's about the Scottish League - which does include hate filed bigotry, often (certainly from a publicity point of view) is linked to religion (well, according to the perpetrators - whether it's actually religious is a different conversation).
But I still don't see this in the image. I see a link with Catholicism, but the Pope isn't attacking anyone in the image - he is just playing football with the Queen.

I will admit I don't understand what the guy behind the Pope is supposed to represent. Perhaps that is a bit of key missing information for me?

Its the insinuation that the football is just a cover religious intolerance.
Which obviously it is for some, but that's not the case for the majority.
The guy in the top hat, no idea who that is supposed to be, but then i don't pay much attention to Scottish football, because its full of bigotry :).

What is going on Everton, must be some real attitudes in that squad, that’s Benitez and Ancelotti that couldn’t get over it, two of the safest pairs of hands in football.

They need a scorched earth as much as we do.

What is going on Everton, must be some real attitudes in that squad, that’s Benitez and Ancelotti that couldn’t get over it, two of the safest pairs of hands in football.

They need a scorched earth as much as we do.
Their squad is terrible and recruitment has been even worse than ours over the last couple of years.
Benitez was also a really poor appointment, his style of football and having managed Liverpool always meant that the fans wouldn't take to him.

Back