• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dilan Markanday

Not trying to quote my own work but people really need to understand why this is important. Poor management/board/structure. we lose out.

Totally agree mate, put it in another thread think the transfer thread a couple of days ago. As well as our own academy players we should also be doing more buys and loan out. We might not have the reach of Chelsea and I know people criticised their loan system, but it is a good side hustle and if any of them are actually good enough then great.

I look forward to watching this guy terrorise Premier League defences real soon the way some go on about him. I’m still waiting for Josh Onomah and John Bostock to do the same….

I look forward to watching this guy terrorise Premier League defences real soon the way some go on about him. I’m still waiting for Josh Onomah and John Bostock to do the same….

Who have you seen go on about him like he’s going to terrorise premier league defences real soon?

And the kid that went to Scotland and done a rainbowflick, what ever happened to him?

Not trying to quote my own work but people really need to understand why this is important. Poor management/board/structure. we lose out.
You'll have to list the contract situation of the players quoted for fair comparison.

Markanday was a late developer ie really came into his own only last season. At the start of this season had 12 months left. The club could want him to be given first team chances but try dictating that to Jose and Conte. He's 5 months from being out of contract, played well last season, so is attractive to other clubs, if his pathway here looks bleak he has landed himself into a good contract position because of his rapid rise in performance. 18 months ago he was more in line to be released. Regardless of our promises it takes two to sign a contract, Dillian thought progress was better elsewhere.

We have sold Mason Livermore Bentaleb Pritchard KWP etc all for good fees FWIW.

maybe, or he's just another that wasn't good enough who has gone to a lower league club, we've heard of him because he played some minutes in the first team, how many players at the same talent level didn't make it that far, and ended up at similarly sized clubs without us even noticing?

Again though, that's not the point!! No one is saying he'll turn into Ronaldo. He may very well fail to make the grade but as i have mentioned if he had 20 games at a first team level, he could have commanded a bigger fee for us! Where's Solanke? Tomori? Ibe? Nowhere. They're brick. But combined they brought in over £50M in revenue!

Again though, that's not the point!! No one is saying he'll turn into Ronaldo. He may very well fail to make the grade but as i have mentioned if he had 20 games at a first team level, he could have commanded a bigger fee for us! Where's Solanke? Tomori? Ibe? Nowhere. They're brick. But combined they brought in over £50M in revenue!

or proved to be worth even less, and at what cost to the performance of the first team?

those players are brick, but they might all be much better than Markandy, they have all played internationally too right, and Markandy hasn’t had a sniff?

Erm... that list is like, 5+ years ago of tranfers which surely reinforces the point? We've failed to bring in fees for decent youth prospects for last 5 years whereas our rivals have.
I didn't realise you'd set the 5 year cut off point :)

I thought it was a general moan up about the academy not producing and that being the man at the tops fault?

Well when he has been in charge we have sold academy players in the past for good money, perhaps he was doing a good job then?

Or perhaps we haven't had anyone come through the academy that has been worth buying recently (except KWP of course).

Reality is, I dont think Levy is selecting them for the academy, training them, or dictating whether they play for the first team, so deserves little praise when it goes right and deserves little criticism when it goes wrong.

Could always sell Skipp if you want.....fits your profile.

Having worked with academy players over the years a lot very rarely go on and be as good as they looked (hoped) when joining the academys. When you consider just how many players are taken into academys in football there are only a small number who hit the real hights.

Kids who are the bees knees never push on and become the players that the clubs hope they will be become. Sad but its the reality of the situation, they may go on and be be Pro players for sure but its usual not at the level you hope for.

In terms of the academy output we do have rejuvenated Winks, Kane and Skipp as grads who perhaps a few years ago would have brought in decent fees but not quite been good enough. Of course this is a few million saved in transfer fees that we haven’t really utilised!

I think the academy idea is flawed, at lot of these young boys need to be tested against experienced players in competitive games. These age limit games doesnt give them this and the chances of going to a suitable club on loan where they will get regular game time is difficult. I feel a real reserve league would help playing with and against experienced pros would be far more helpful.

Talk about getting a crap start at a new club...

Blackburn Rovers: Dilan Markanday ruled out for remainder of the season

Dilan Markanday will require surgery on a serious hamstring injury and is expected to miss the reaminder of the season.

Markanday is understood to have sustained the injury in the closing stages of Wednesday night’s defeat at Hull City, and despite no obvious concern at the time, scans have since revealed damage to his hamstring.

The 20-year-old will now undergo surgery and isn’t expected to feature again this season.

Markanday’s move to Rovers was confirmed on Tuesday and he was then named in the squad for the visit to Hull City on Wednesday.

He made his debut in the second half and showed flashes of promise despite the result, but a cruel blow means he won’t play again for the remainder of the season.

Tony Mowbray: “The disappointing news is that Dilan picked up a hamstring injury in the 20 minutes he was on the pitch at Hull.

“It looks a pretty severe one and, without putting a timescale on it, he has a pretty bad hamstring injury that will keep him out for more than a couple of weeks. It’s a huge blow for both Dilan and us.

“It’s really hard, especially considering this is the first move away from his family and the club he’d been at since he was nine.

“To make that move and then to find out you’ll be out of action for a considerable amount of time, it's so disappointing

“We’ll be there for Dilan and will support him through this time. He’s a young lad, his mother’s still with him at the moment and everything will be done professionally to look after him. He’s in safe hands.

“He’s a loss for us because we felt he would really have an impact with us for the second part of the season."

Hope he makes a full and fast recovery. I don't buy any of the "should've kept him" discussion points. As fans, and fans on an Internet board, we discuss players like they are cattle, or FIFA players. We can at times lose touch with the fact that this is a young man trying to make his way in a very difficult industry, and who probably sensed that in the position he plays there's a few senior players ahead of him and the promise/threat of more being signed.

I hope he's a success at Blackburn so we can look on him as another product of our academy to have a great career as a professional footballer.

Oof, unlucky for the lad. Hope he recovers well and quickly.

I agree with @Surfless, tbh - I don't think it's up to the club to keep kids like Markanday and Madueke. If they feel they can establish themselves by moving, more power to them. Personally I would have loved to see Markanday come through as one of the first British Indian kids to play for Spurs, but I can't deny that the chances of him actually establishing himself at Spurs were low.

That points to an issue beyond Markanday, though - it's that the quality of our academy graduates isn't really commensurate to our status just yet.

I've spoken before about Alex Inglethorpe's approach to academy management while at Spurs - his focus on finding lads for the academy who were overlooked by the other London teams on account of physical limitations, but who had the intelligence and drive to succeed regardless.

Our present crop of first-teamers are largely a result of that approach from a decade ago - Kane, Skipp, Winks, Tanganga. And to be honest, that approach has allowed us to create a healthy, self-sustaining academy where a few players are able to make it into the first team, while the majority, even if they never make it at Spurs, are able to build careers in professional football for themselves (Madueke, Tom Carroll, Alex Pritchard, Andros Townsend, KWP, Marcus Edwards, etc.) while generating transfer fees that allow the academy to remain self-sustaining and contribute to the growth of the first team regardless.

However, the problem as I see it is that this approach worked for the Spurs academy of 2010-ish (when the present crop first came through the system).

Since then, our status has risen significantly, to the point where we should be more attractive for the best talent in London compared to where we were in 2010 (behind Arsenal and Chelsea, maybe even behind West Ham in terms of youth talent). At the very least, we should be able to outcompete Arsenal for top London talent at this point.

Yet, we don't see it in the latest crop of players coming through (imo).

Dane Scarlett, Harvey White, Markanday and others - I might be very mistaken, but to me, they seem like the same 'type' of player we were targeting ten years ago - slight, technically gifted, with physical limitations that could be compensated for with intelligence and drive. And unfortunately, the chances of those players breaking into the first team are smaller than with other players, simply because the Premier League's focus on power and physicality hasn't decreased in that time - if anything, it's only intensified since 2010.

By contrast, the likes of Bukayo Saka, Emile Smith-Rowe and others still seem to prefer Arse over us - Saka's mentioned before that we were in for him with Chelsea and Spam, but his family chose Arsenal. These are players who are arguably a bit more the 'complete package', as it were - pace, power, technique, physicality and intelligence.

I think we have a successful academy as it stands. But I think we need to be focusing on attracting some of the top young talent in London a bit more going forward, playing on the strength of our coaches, the training ground, and our record bringing kids through. We don' t have to compromise anymore, imo.

Oof, unlucky for the lad. Hope he recovers well and quickly.

I agree with @Surfless, tbh - I don't think it's up to the club to keep kids like Markanday and Madueke. If they feel they can establish themselves by moving, more power to them. Personally I would have loved to see Markanday come through as one of the first British Indian kids to play for Spurs, but I can't deny that the chances of him actually establishing himself at Spurs were low.

That points to an issue beyond Markanday, though - it's that the quality of our academy graduates isn't really commensurate to our status just yet.

I've spoken before about Alex Inglethorpe's approach to academy management while at Spurs - his focus on finding lads for the academy who were overlooked by the other London teams on account of physical limitations, but who had the intelligence and drive to succeed regardless.

Our present crop of first-teamers are largely a result of that approach from a decade ago - Kane, Skipp, Winks, Tanganga. And to be honest, that approach has allowed us to create a healthy, self-sustaining academy where a few players are able to make it into the first team, while the majority, even if they never make it at Spurs, are able to build careers in professional football for themselves (Madueke, Tom Carroll, Alex Pritchard, Andros Townsend, KWP, Marcus Edwards, etc.) while generating transfer fees that allow the academy to remain self-sustaining and contribute to the growth of the first team regardless.

However, the problem as I see it is that this approach worked for the Spurs academy of 2010-ish (when the present crop first came through the system).

Since then, our status has risen significantly, to the point where we should be more attractive for the best talent in London compared to where we were in 2010 (behind Arsenal and Chelsea, maybe even behind West Ham in terms of youth talent). At the very least, we should be able to outcompete Arsenal for top London talent at this point.

Yet, we don't see it in the latest crop of players coming through (imo).

Dane Scarlett, Harvey White, Markanday and others - I might be very mistaken, but to me, they seem like the same 'type' of player we were targeting ten years ago - slight, technically gifted, with physical limitations that could be compensated for with intelligence and drive. And unfortunately, the chances of those players breaking into the first team are smaller than with other players, simply because the Premier League's focus on power and physicality hasn't decreased in that time - if anything, it's only intensified since 2010.

By contrast, the likes of Bukayo Saka, Emile Smith-Rowe and others still seem to prefer Arse over us - Saka's mentioned before that we were in for him with Chelsea and Spam, but his family chose Arsenal. These are players who are arguably a bit more the 'complete package', as it were - pace, power, technique, physicality and intelligence.

I think we have a successful academy as it stands. But I think we need to be focusing on attracting some of the top young talent in London a bit more going forward, playing on the strength of our coaches, the training ground, and our record bringing kids through. We don' t have to compromise anymore, imo.
It’s rarely about preference and always about who gets approached or scouted and when
I know a few young lads on pro books and none are at the club they support
Most have taken the frost decent club that’s come along as you don’t know if anyone else will offer you terms

Back