• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franck Kessié

Ah yes I thought the afcon was moved to June some years ago and I assumed this upcoming edition was a long term move back to January due to very hot weather in June.

But am I right that this is the sole edition back in January due to covid delays or something?
I thought it was flexible
But the plan was to hold it in the African summer, so European winter

And what about whether it will be in June like the 2024 one will be? Are you saying that is the last June one and from then onwards they will pick between dec, jan or feb :eek:

it’s always been our winter
They moved it briefly to our summer and had awful weather so pulled it back to their summer
I can’t comment on the June one TBHas I haven’t a clue as to why

The majority (2/3rds) of the African land mass is in the northern hemisphere and over half of African countries are over or north of the equator. This generic idea of an African summer is wrong, especially as a contrast to the European winter.

Think the Afcon will move to whenever it works best for the host country. Similar to an October World Cup, and rightly so.

The majority (2/3rds) of the African land mass is in the northern hemisphere and over half of African countries are over or north of the equator. This generic idea of an African summer is wrong, especially as a contrast to the European winter.

Think the Afcon will move to whenever it works best for the host country. Similar to an October World Cup, and rightly so.

Maybe. But european clubs may eventually decide that they don't want to let players go. We saw it with the south american players the other month. They could say ok, you want the players, pay their wages while they are with you also insurance for if they get injured. Not sure many african football federations could afford to.

There is a massive power play going on at the moment between fifa and uefa. Think the acon may be one victim of it.

Not sure I'd trust Ndombele on a loan, what if he has the same attitude that he has here and ends up coming back to us.

We should try to get Wijnaldum in for the interim 6 months if we can’t get Kessie until summer.

Feels like we've been linked with him for ages, Conte should know about him. I hope it's not 300K a week, feel like he's the wrong type of signing and might potentially struggle coming over here. Has anyone played CM in Serie A and been a success in the premiership? Jorginho has done well now he's settled but can't think of many others.

Feels like we've been linked with him for ages, Conte should know about him. I hope it's not 300K a week, feel like he's the wrong type of signing and might potentially struggle coming over here. Has anyone played CM in Serie A and been a success in the premiership? Jorginho has done well now he's settled but can't think of many others.

Patrick viera

Jorginho, as you said. Pogba, maybe. Allan, from Napoli to Everton.

But there are definitely a lot that didn't make it - Aquilani, Veron et al. And with Kessie, two of his main attributes are endless stamina and immense strength - they help him stand out in Serie A, with high pressing success percentages and distances covered most games. But the Prem is full of physical, hard-running players. Technique will make the difference here - is Kessie technically gifted enough to thrive? Dunno. tbh.

The two things in Kessie's favour are that he's seen as a leader in the dressing room, and he came from very humble origins so he knows he can't take things for granted. We could badly do with both.

Maybe. But european clubs may eventually decide that they don't want to let players go. We saw it with the south american players the other month. They could say ok, you want the players, pay their wages while they are with you also insurance for if they get injured. Not sure many african football federations could afford to.

There is a massive power play going on at the moment between fifa and uefa. Think the acon may be one victim of it.

But the fecking audacity of it all. There will be loads of scouts at the tournament from European clubs, and when they are subsequently signed they then have the freakin' nerve to bitch and whinge about having to release players for Afcon tournaments further down the road :eek:

Talk about taking the tinkle.

Back