• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

For me, the high expectations are because he is so insanely talented with the ball at his feet, I can’t understand why he isn’t more able to dominate games. All he needs to do is to get on the ball more, which seems like it should be one of the easiest things to improve on. I can’t work out whether it’s an issue with stamina, desire, or intelligence of movement… or if it’s a tactical thing.

(Personally I don’t think it can just be tactical - for example Dele got on the ball as little as Tanguy did yesterday, but he was also a much bigger presence in the opposition’s box, which Tanguy never really is).

Tanguy doesn't have presence in the opposition box? This is new.

Tanguy doesn't have presence in the opposition box? This is new.

As in it’s not a big trait of his to frequently get into the opponent’s box from midfield, ala someone like Alli (who’s also never tended to get on the ball as much as his midfield / attacking midfield peers).

A lot of people were complaining after the match because Tanguy did not come on when they were down to 10 men. Maybe based on what he does in training Conte felt he could not rely on him, lets face it he would not be the first manager to think that.

While many people to see him as a playmaker/creator extraordinaire who can run our midfield they have to remember he has only made 10 assists in two and a half years. It seems whenever he does not play and we do not get the 3 points people come on here waxing lyrical as to how good he is. The fact is he is probably the most naturally gifted player player in our squad but if he does not apply himself he will become another Adel Taarabt or a Ravel Morrison (remember that goal he scored against us?).

If he does not play regularly it is because he continually fails to prove to a world class manager like Conte that he deserves to play.

A lot of people were complaining after the match because Tanguy did not come on when they were down to 10 men. Maybe based on what he does in training Conte felt he could not rely on him, lets face it he would not be the first manager to think that.

While many people to see him as a playmaker/creator extraordinaire who can run our midfield they have to remember he has only made 10 assists in two and a half years. It seems whenever he does not play and we do not get the 3 points people come on here waxing lyrical as to how good he is. The fact is he is probably the most naturally gifted player player in our squad but if he does not apply himself he will become another Adel Taarabt or a Ravel Morrison (remember that goal he scored against us?).

If he does not play regularly it is because he continually fails to prove to a world class manager like Conte that he deserves to play.
It was a situation where we need to breakdown a 10 man defence. PEH isn't going to break that down or contribute to it.
Against 10 men there is no need for a back 3 and Skipp and PEH, PEH should've made way.

For all Ndombeles faults he is much more likely to beat a player and play a pass to breakdown the defence. It's not just about the assist, but doing something to move
the defence around, create space and get the ball into dangerous areas. Lots, myself included, were crying out for him to be brought on after half time and it was not
after the game when we didn't get the 3 points. I don't think anybody is saying that he should be a starter or the team built around him, but use him in certain situations,
especially when we have a need to breakdown a packed defence.

Last edited:

Probably being wrapped in cotton wool in the hope someone takes him off our hands in January.

On £200k a week can't see it. Maybe a loan? Slower league and regular game time might get him looking good again.

Yeah I know. Maybe could be used as sweetener to get a player we want in part-ex. Would be complicated though. We’d probably have to subsidize his wages. Hard to see any other outcome than a huge loss at this stage.

Equally it could just be a tactical decision and nothing more sinister than that. If Conte didn’t trust Ndombele to play why would he pick him at all?

It was a situation where we need to breakdown a 10 man defence. PEH isn't going to break that down or contribute to it.
Against 10 men there is no need for a back 3 and Skipp and PEH, PEH should've made way.

For all Ndombeles faults he is much more likely to beat a player and play a pass to breakdown the defence. It's not just about the assist, but doing something to move
the defence around, create space and get the ball into dangerous areas. Lots, myself included, were crying out for him to be brought on after half time and it was not
after the game when we didn't get the 3 points. I don't think anybody is saying that he should be a starter or the team built around him, but use him in certain situations,
Quite.

Screenshot_20211229-150649_Chrome.jpg

A move is far more likely to end up in a goal if it goes via Ndombele than Hojbjerg.

Equally it could just be a tactical decision and nothing more sinister than that. If Conte didn’t trust Ndombele to play why would he pick him at all?

If it is tactical then there is a problem, because what is the point of having one of your two highest players not been able to fit in the tactical plans of his manager on a regular basis, what it now, one start in 7 league matches?

Quite.

A move is far more likely to end up in a goal if it goes via Ndombele than Hojbjerg.

The issue is personally I would love Ndombele to start on a regular basis, in particular ahead of PEH alongside Skipp, the problem is that at the moment Conte does not appear to be of the same mind

No argument from me, the problem is that our world class manager does not seem to agree. Maybe he does not bust a gut in training who knows? If I were picking the team I would definitely give him the opportunity to make himself an integral part of the team, my concern is that Conte is not the first manager to utilise him so sparingly, there appears to be a pattern. And when he does start how come most of the time he comes off between 60-70 minutes? It is either he is tired or he just looks tired, or the manager(s) feel his impact on the game has dulled, this has been going on for two and a half years now.

Last edited:
I wonder can we find a buyer for him in January.

He completed 4 passes in the first half against Liverpool.

It's no surprise to see him nowhere near the team.

No argument from me, the problem is that our world class manager does not seem to agree. Maybe he does not bust a gut in training who knows? If I were picking the team I would definitely give him the opportunity to make himself an integral part of the team, my concern is that Conte is not the first manager to utilise him so sparingly, there appears to be a pattern. And when he does start how come most of the time he comes off between 60-70 minutes? It is either he is tired or he just looks tired, or the manager(s) feel his impact on the game has dulled, this has been going on for two and a half years now.

I'm guessing it was mainly down to forced substitutions in this particular game. I mean, we could have shifted around a lot of players to get him in at central midfield, but that would have come with other downsides.

If Conte looked at that game state and thought, nope, no need for Ndombele for 20 minutes here then he's well and truly done here.

For more regular minutes, it's still early under Conte. If it was going to work for him under Conte it was always going to take time. That's not to say it will work, I think it's more likely it doesn't.

I thought a couple of Conte's subs were a bit weird considering we were up against 10 men and drawing the game.

Reguilion had to come off as he is a bit brain dead and there was a significant risk that he would allow the ref to even things up with a red card for us. I thought the decision to replace him with Doherty was strange though.... Bringing Moura on at that point and moving Davies out the left would've kept on one of our potential goal threats in Dele and avoided us having a right footed player on the left and therefore not being able to stretch the opposition as wide as possible. If Conte REALLY wanted to retain his 3-5-2 type formation then he could've perhaps dropped Hojbjerg into the back 3 (though I don't think we needed 3 back there to deal with Southampton's extremely limited attacks).

His next sub was also strange I thought. Surely Hojbjerg is the next player that needs to come off, being the least likely to create/score a goal? There was pretty much zero ball to be won so why keep a destroyer on the pitch at this point? Ending that match with all of Davies, Sanchez, Dier and Hojbjerg on the pitch was really strange considering we had far better ball players on the bench and the team had about 80% possession

We had 21 shots
The chances were there
The finishing needed to be better and the middle of the pitch was the most crowded
We had these issues under Poch against packed defences too
If anything…. A turnover against us would have potentially hurt more and lately Tanguy has not been keeping the ball well

We had 21 shots
The chances were there
The finishing needed to be better and the middle of the pitch was the most crowded
If anything…. A turnover against us would have potentially hurt more and lately Tanguy has not been keeping the ball well
We had 21 shots, but the vast majority were a low chance of scoring. Reguillons was the only one that I can recall that was a really clear cut chance

Winks (said Skipp in my last post, meant Winks) with a back 3 behind him should be enough to deal with a turnover.

We had 21 shots, but the vast majority were a low chance of scoring. Reguillons was the only one that I can recall that was a really clear cut chance

Winks (said Skipp in my last post, meant Winks) with a back 3 behind him should be enough to deal with a turnover.
What Reggie chance? He was off at half time

We had 21 shots
The chances were there
And the source of the issue was the same as with Poch, too many workmen and not enough craftsmen on the pitch. You need guile to win these matches, you need quality, you need inventiveness. We are lacking in those areas and have been even in the Poch golden era.

Yeah I know. Maybe could be used as sweetener to get a player we want in part-ex. Would be complicated though. We’d probably have to subsidize his wages. Hard to see any other outcome than a huge loss at this stage.
There is a link of that type with Tolisso being mooted

Back