• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

Under Poch he looked like a really exciting, though unfit player, especially in those European games. Moved well and great passing ability. I thought Jose also got him playing pretty well too. If anyone though will make him sink or swim though it will be Antonio Conte.

Don’t forget the much ignored option to float.

What would you say to Ndombele?

Queue all the bye-byes, don't let the door hit you on the way out etc. What I really mean is what could you say to him to motivate him? There will come a time when he'll look back at his career, and he'll think, I could have done so much more. Yes I'm loaded. I will always be wealthy. But I could have been great.

I'd play that scenario to him. I know he is often committed. He does try. His game performances are often unfairly criticised as he's not in the swing of regular games. To be honest on the pitch I think he is committed but he's rarely ever fit enough or fully match sharp. That is actually the issue. And underneath it all I think he has some kind of fear of failure. So I'd emphasise he doesn't want to look back on a wasted career. And then build his confidence, and confidence in taking the small steps - the things others find easy - training hard. Work hard each day. They are the barriers for him. It is quite common that you come across brilliant people who can't apply themselves effectively. Ndombele is one of those people.

What would you say to Ndombele?

Queue all the bye-byes, don't let the door hit you on the way out etc. What I really mean is what could you say to him to motivate him? There will come a time when he'll look back at his career, and he'll think, I could have done so much more. Yes I'm loaded. I will always be wealthy. But I could have been great.

I'd play that scenario to him. I know he is often committed. He does try. His game performances are often unfairly criticised as he's not in the swing of regular games. To be honest on the pitch I think he is committed but he's rarely ever fit enough or fully match sharp. That is actually the issue. And underneath it all I think he has some kind of fear of failure. So I'd emphasise he doesn't want to look back on a wasted career. And then build his confidence, and confidence in taking the small steps - the things others find easy - training hard. Work hard each day. They are the barriers for him. It is quite common that you come across brilliant people who can't apply themselves effectively. Ndombele is one of those people.
He's a walking tragedy, truly gifted and maybe that's half the problem, it's all a bit too easy for him.
Have to admit I've kind of given up on him.

He's a walking tragedy, truly gifted and maybe that's half the problem, it's all a bit too easy for him.
Have to admit I've kind of given up on him.

Same. I was a big supporter of his, but he seems more interested in headphones and acting like a kid.

Always think it says a lot to look at players when they aren’t getting selected. Some work their arses of like their life depends on it…

Same. I was a big supporter of his, but he seems more interested in headphones and acting like a kid.

Always think it says a lot to look at players when they aren’t getting selected. Some work their arses of like their life depends on it…
One of the most dissapointing signings in almost 40 years as a Spurs fan, the guy could be anything he wanted to be.
The mindset wasn't an unknown quantity when he signed, I'm guessing Poch figured he could work his motivational magic and get something special out of him.

Been over this repeatedly, but...

Ndombele worked his way into the team under Mourinho. Nuno was reportedly happy to let him go in the summer, didn't start him at all at first, again Ndombele worked his way into the team.

We really have no way of knowing how and what Ndombele is doing in training under Conte. For now he's clearly not near a start. Behind Winks in the pecking order isn't a great look, though I probably rate Winks higher than most.

I think it was always going to take at least some time under Conte. A manager that puts a lot of stock into a set system of play.

Time will tell.

Ndombele worked his way into the team under Mourinho. Nuno was reportedly happy to let him go in the summer, didn't start him at all at first, again Ndombele worked his way into the team.

We really have no way of knowing how and what Ndombele is doing in training under Conte. For now he's clearly not near a start. Behind Winks in the pecking order isn't a great look, though I probably rate Winks higher than most.

I think it was always going to take at least some time under Conte. A manager that puts a lot of stock into a set system of play.

Time will tell.

I think Conte pretty much said this too. Because of his talent and how he wants to use him in the position it will take longer than other players. Winks may be ahead of him now but that situation could change 2 months down the line. But ultimately I trust whatever decision Conte comes to, my personal preferences are just going to have to take a back seat.

Time will tell.

I agree with your points that managers eventually selected him, but think it was more due to lack of other options, as it just never looks like he’s fit enough to play 90 mins.

Compare with say Winks (who I criticise more), at least Winks has ensured he has the fitness levels to play if called upon.

A player in Ndombele position desperate to succeed would be doing all they can to get into the best shape of their life. I guess time will tell, but he’s had quite a lot of that already.

I agree with your points that managers eventually selected him, but think it was more due to lack of other options, as it just never looks like he’s fit enough to play 90 mins.

Compare with say Winks (who I criticise more), at least Winks has ensured he has the fitness levels to play if called upon.

A player in Ndombele position desperate to succeed would be doing all they can to get into the best shape of their life. I guess time will tell, but he’s had quite a lot of that already.

Definitely reasons to be critical of him and what he's done so far for us, under several managers. Been a difficult couple of years with a lot of changes and a lack of a clear strategy on the pitch, coming at a time when he moved clubs, league, country. Doesn't make it easier, but as you say he probably also could have done more.

I just think there are also reasons there to think that he will again try to work his way back into the team. We don't know what he's doing now in that regard.

Definitely reasons to be critical of him and what he's done so far for us, under several managers. Been a difficult couple of years with a lot of changes and a lack of a clear strategy on the pitch, coming at a time when he moved clubs, league, country. Doesn't make it easier, but as you say he probably also could have done more.

I just think there are also reasons there to think that he will again try to work his way back into the team. We don't know what he's doing now in that regard.
I think you may be onto something there. The lack of a clear strategy on the pitch, or one that plays to his strengths, can be equally responsible for his performances. So I agree that we should wait and see what happens under Conte. This will be the litmus test and if he stays with us past this summer.

I think you may be onto something there. The lack of a clear strategy on the pitch, or one that plays to his strengths, can be equally responsible for his performances. So I agree that we should wait and see what happens under Conte. This will be the litmus test and if he stays with us past this summer.

We have quite a few players I would think are having make or break moments coming up. I'm assuming for now that Conte will be here come the end of the summer transfer window at the very least.

We have a manager who most likely has demanded quite a bit of control in the transfer market. If he hasn't his stature and style of working will make those demands obvious rather quickly.

Conte also has a system with very clear demands. Not just in terms of work rate, but also in terms of how to play different roles in his system. Yes he adjusts to players, but to some extent you fit in or you don't and Conte won't change too much to make players fit in.

We have a DoF in Paratici who got the first managerial decision wrong (arguably and in hindsight at the very least). One who knows Conte and has quite a bit riding on Conte succeeding. A DoF that has been given more control over transfer business and is known for being rather active in the market and in making or at the very least attempting to make deals.

We have quite a lot of players that have been inconsistent at best, over some time. Somewhat harsher, but not really untrue imo, players that have been underperforming over time.

All makes for a very clear make or break situation. For quite a lot of our players. Won't start listing who I think those players are as I don't want to take this thread off topic and there will likely be some disagreements on who that applies to.

Ndombele is definitely one though. But it's make or break, not already a break.

You got it, Pontiac.

There's some maligned players I'd give a final look at - Doherty, Dele, Winks, Ndombele and Rodon. Even Sanchez and Gollini, though less urgent.

All totally expendable right now, just need a little time in the shop window. Or maybe not, just to conceal those inherent flaws. But definitely need to be moved.

What did people think of him yesterday?

Thought he did rather well defensively, we struggled down the right, pretty much regardless of him being left or right, but could be that Alli did more defensively. Work rate and defensive contribution I thought was quite good overall.

Mostly tidy in possession, the assist and one or two other forward passes where his quality shone through, otherwise a bit underwhelming. Looked rusty and didn't get away from opponents the way he can.

Step in the right direction, but some way to go.

Thought he did rather well defensively, we struggled down the right, pretty much regardless of him being left or right, but could be that Alli did more defensively. Work rate and defensive contribution I thought was quite good overall.

Mostly tidy in possession, the assist and one or two other forward passes where his quality shone through, otherwise a bit underwhelming. Looked rusty and didn't get away from opponents the way he can.

I thought he did ok, the chances we missed are taking the focus off some excellent defensive work. The midfield worked their socks off.

Closed down well, played a couple key passes including the assist. Tried a few things that didn't work in dodgy positions and faded second half.

Like everyone else applied himself to task well and did well. With him on the pitch our passing goes from sideways to forwards.

He did nothing wrong although he could have cleared a defensive area quicker at one point earlier in the second half
He got an assist too
My worry still is he sometimes doesn’t track the man and Liverpool always have runners
Against the lesser sides he may fit the role but I think it will be skipp with winks now

He did nothing wrong although he could have cleared a defensive area quicker at one point earlier in the second half
He got an assist too
My worry still is he sometimes doesn’t track the man and Liverpool always have runners
Against the lesser sides he may fit the role but I think it will be skipp with winks now
But then we don't get the pass for the first goal. Winks May add some additional workrate but we lose our quite significantly on potential and actual passing range. [emoji848]

I did notice something with Ndombele is he really didn't try to dribble yesterday and I wonder if that is a Conte instruction? To keep it more simple and not take risks, because under Conte he has progressively made fewer and fewer dribble attempts. I might be wrong and missed something but I don't think he tried any at all yesterday. [emoji848]

But then we don't get the pass for the first goal. Winks May add some additional workrate but we lose our quite significantly on potential and actual passing range. [emoji848]

I did notice something with Ndombele is he really didn't try to dribble yesterday and I wonder if that is a Conte instruction? To keep it more simple and not take risks, because under Conte he has progressively made fewer and fewer dribble attempts. I might be wrong and missed something but I don't think he tried any at all yesterday. [emoji848]
Winks pass for the 2nd goal was the best pass of the game abs he played more passes into attacking areas than Tanguy did. In fact Dier was the best passer statistically from what I’ve read
Tanguy isn’t the only player who can pass. He may have been the only one with license to do so under previous managers
He did take risks too yesterday. One midway through the first half where it got caught under his feet and they attacked Sanchez off it and had a decent shot from Trent
Second half he also did it in our area but defended it well
The guy can play as we all know. Conte will make the big calls in him and he will decide what happens next for Tanguy at spurs

Promising signs,
But then we don't get the pass for the first goal. Winks May add some additional workrate but we lose our quite significantly on potential and actual passing range.
emoji848.png

I did notice something with Ndombele is he really didn't try to dribble yesterday and I wonder if that is a Conte instruction? To keep it more simple and not take risks, because under Conte he has progressively made fewer and fewer dribble attempts. I might be wrong and missed something but I don't think he tried any at all yesterday.
emoji848.png
If Winks hadn’t won the ball in CM then we wouldn’t have got the first goal and he played the through pass for our 2nd.

Tanguy did try a dribble on the edge of our box in the 2nd half, but lost the ball, he managed to get in the way of the attacker though and see it out for a goal kick. He was subbed shortly after, I think he was tired at that point though.

Thought he had a decent game.

Back