• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I'm saying it should be easier to enter by legal means and, of course, they have every right to pick us. We need more presence in and near the countries people are fleeing and should accept as many applications as we can.

That doesn't mean we should accept illegal entry as a means though. Especially when those doing so are fleeing from France.

They aren't fleeing France, they are fleeing where they are from. They are looking to claim asylum in the UK which law allows them to but we have blocked legal routes.

So let’s police the crossing, catch them, feed them, get them warm and dry and make sure none of them drown before processing their claim.

Also get the info on the smuggling operation they survived and work with the French to shut that down.

So let’s police the crossing, catch them, feed them, get them warm and dry and make sure none of them drown before processing their claim.

Also get the info on the smuggling operation they survived and work with the French to shut that down.
The problem with that approach is that it's incredibly difficult to remove those who fail their claims. Far better to check the claim beforehand.

Boris’s letter was pure political staging to appeal to his core support. It suits him to keep potential refugees off his shores under the guise of protecting the people attempting the crossings. There are no solutions suggested to the underlying issue, how to process genuine claims and bring the refugees across the Channel safely. The two should go hand in hand to show the international community we are willing to accept our fair share and then to build support with the French and European authorities to stop the crossings. Of course Macron rejected the letter, how would he sell to his own electorate allowing a foreign authority to patrol his shores to keep migrants in France? This was not diplomacy by Boris.

Last edited:
The problem with that approach is that it's incredibly difficult to remove those who fail their claims. Far better to check the claim beforehand.

Let them stay, generosity now is likely to be paid back with interest, people are not risking their lives for a lark.

Quite the promotion for David Lammy.

There's always something I think he did years ago to slight us, but I've completely forgotten what it was. Maybe trying to frame the Sol Campbell abuse as racist. Or maybe something early on with the stadium plans (he turned out to be the perfect useful idiot over the Stratford stuff). No idea any more though and I know he was good with later stage stadium support.

Let them stay, generosity now is likely to be paid back with interest, people are not risking their lives for a lark.

Which will encourage more to risk their lives. We can't even look after our own let alone the worlds poor. 136,000 homeless children in the uk. Footballers having to raise awarness to feed them. Young people can't afford to rent a home let alone buy one. Yet we just give accomodation and money to everyone that steps off a boat? Social networks broken. Do you not understand people don't want them here. The more they ignored the more the likes of farage get a foot in. Because people think they listen. Sweeden and denmark 2 of the most left countries in the world. Both now have powerful far right parties, that are getting stronger every day. Denmark nowsends asylum seekers to rwanda.
You cannot force mass immigration on people that don't want it. It will end badly.

Which will encourage more to risk their lives. We can't even look after our own let alone the worlds poor. 136,000 homeless children in the uk. Footballers having to raise awarness to feed them. Young people can't afford to rent a home let alone buy one. Yet we just give accomodation and money to everyone that steps off a boat? Social networks broken. Do you not understand people don't want them here. The more they ignored the more the likes of farage get a foot in. Because people think they listen. Sweeden and denmark 2 of the most left countries in the world. Both now have powerful far right parties, that are getting stronger every day. Denmark nowsends asylum seekers to rwanda.
You cannot force mass immigration on people that don't want it. It will end badly.

We’re going to have to stop thinking of it as immigration, that land and resources can be “owned” based on lines on a map, we’ve done our bit to make the habitable world a smaller and more dangerous place, it’s time to start giving back.

We lead, others should follow.

We’re going to have to stop thinking of it as immigration, that land and resources can be “owned” based on lines on a map, we’ve done our bit to make the habitable world a smaller and more dangerous place, it’s time to start giving back.

And how would that work? Open our borders, we'll have billions coming. What then?

What a joke. All idealism and no common sense.

I don't believe there should be borders, they're an artificial construction that have no relevance in the modern world.

But they can't be abolished whilst we still have government handouts.

Well said.

Personally I am comfortable, but I came from a council estate. The big issue is people not affording homes or having access to council homes. That is what is causing so much issue in our country. I really could see someone for extreme making it high up in Parliament.

Even the Conservatives won't say how many homes have been given to non uk nationals. It would cause a riot.

Well said.

Personally I am comfortable, but I came from a council estate. The big issue is people not affording homes or having access to council homes. That is what is causing so much issue in our country. I really could see someone for extreme making it high up in Parliament.

Even the Conservatives won't say how many homes have been given to non uk nationals. It would cause a riot.
There are lots of reasons why people can’t afford homes in this country, the least of which is refugees I suspect. Quite disingenuous to suggest otherwise. If you want affordable homes take away the free market. Low wages and high prices are the biggest reasons.

I don't believe there should be borders, they're an artificial construction that have no relevance in the modern world.

But they can't be abolished whilst we still have government handouts.

Not in the current form, it needs to be a global initiative.

But it’s inevitable now, so let’s get on it.

The current system will just lead to war.

Conflating immigrants and refugees muddies the whole discussion. If you can't tell the difference then educate yourself. If you don't care then own it.

Think this is yet another example where you are wrong. Because we all know refugees and asylum seekers are fleeing persecution and we should accept them.

But when you have people quite clearly claiming to be that when they are so obviously an immigrant choosing this country over other safe ones, they are not refugees. But carry on with the demeaning stance that anyone who does not agree with you is stupid.

On housing, why have the tories and Labour when they have been in office refused to say how many council homes have been given to non uk nationals?

The tories even stopped/blocked one of their MP's from looking into it, ably assisted by the civil servants no doubt.

You guys in your little echo chamber can carry on thinking it is not an issue, but it is a real concern out their in many communities. It is storing up problems for the future. Some of you could not understand brexit(5 years later even) well the will be another day of reckoning when you will be on here moaning that you don't understand why people voted the way they did.

The way the working class have been treated in the last 2 decades in this country is shocking.

The way the working class have been treated in the last 2 decades in this country is shocking.

Absolutely but this isn't because of immigrants or refugees.
We could have the biggest most impervious borders going and the working class would still have been treated woefully for the last 20+ years.
Immigration is an issue but it is also a massive smokescreen pumped into the media until the country believe it is a significant issue causing more inequality than it actually does.

Absolutely but this isn't because of immigrants or refugees.
We could have the biggest most impervious borders going and the working class would still have been treated woefully for the last 20+ years.
Immigration is an issue but it is also a massive smokescreen pumped into the media until the country believe it is a significant issue causing more inequality than it actually does.

You really think this has anything to do with the media? People have eyes and experience whats going on first hand. Being on a waiting list for a council flat but turned down because a somalian family has more kids than you. Then having to move to tottenham or edgware. Away from you parents. They get old, but you live too far away to pop round every day to see if they are alright. Do a bit of shopping for them. Meanwhile they are scarred to go out because people don't speak the same language as them and gangs are having sword fights in the streets.
Meanwhile gps being paid by person they have registered rather than people treated rack up huge amounts of patients that they can't see. Although on walk in days the office is full of women in hijabs getting painkillers and shampoo. Because they won't pay for them in a shop.
Then you get the big ones. The stabbings, the rapes, the terror attacks.
Then you have the eastern europeans undercutting your work as a painter and decorator. You have a wife and two kids to look after. Rent to pay. These boys are 20, living 6 to a room and sending most money back home to buy a house. If you are lucky your wages stay the same. For 10 years.

I've got no problem with immigrants themselves. My father was one. But gonad*s is it just the media.

Back