• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

Completely agree with @harr1984 and I hope Jose is looked back upon in a slightly better light.

There is a very obvious mentality problem in this squad, which was the entire thing he wanted to change. But he was never backed to be able to do it. I hope Conte is.

Still makes me laugh that we allowed these players a vote on whether Jose stayed on, and sacked him a week before a cup final.

Eh? I thought it was something the players polled amongst themselves as to whether they wanted him to go (if it's even true), not that it was something that the club somehow asked for or endorsed. Have I missed something?

Eh? I thought it was something the players polled amongst themselves as to whether they wanted him to go (if it's even true), not that it was something that the club somehow asked for or endorsed. Have I missed something?

If true it’s bonkers stuff. Even if it was only between the players it’d be incredibly divisive and would leave team spirit in tatters.

The Athletic, who are a very good outlet, said the players took a poll in advance of the Everton game and all but 2 players wanted Jose gone. They never mentioned if it actually had any impact in terms of the final decision but it’s clear that Jose wasn’t liked. I was going to say he was divisive but sounds like the players’ dislike of him was the most unifying force in our club since around 2019.

The majority of people on here wouldn’t accept whatever Jose said.

It’s funny how the attitude on players have changed due to who the manager is. Under Mourinho it was his fault that he couldn’t get a tune out of NDombele,Dele etc and similar for Nuno. Conte comes in, and within a couple of weeks you can find those previously claiming that we have a top 4 squad and should be doing so much better now all of a sudden saying these players should be moved on:D….

Do you mean a few fans on here made up their mind about him even before his first game.;)

There is a very obvious mentality problem in this squad, which was the entire thing he wanted to change. But he was never backed to be able to do it. I hope Conte is.

Still makes me laugh that we allowed these players a vote on whether Jose stayed on, and sacked him a week before a cup final.

The test will come when the first club mouthpiece articles come out about how there is a "belief in the club that Dele can turn it around and only needs confidence', or some tripe like that.

Dele, Sanchez, Doherty, Winks, Ndombele..maybe Lo Celso.

They need to be forcibly ejected to whichever team is willing to throw us pennies to get some of them. No more persevering with some of the thieves of air and wastes of space in that lot because 'they can turn it around' or 'we can't get good fees for them'.

No one will pay for them, 'cos they're all brick and disasters for the dressing room. Get rid, at any cost.

And pay to have them replaced with players, the manager, wants. First choices, that he feels can change the culture and impose a winning mentality. Not bargain bins.

That is going to be expensive. But Levy has zero choice.

If he doesn't do it..well, the end of Nuno's reign was exciting in terms of fans standing up and saying 'Levy Out' so clearly even the sleepy media picked up on it. It will pale in comparison to what happens if that toxic bunch of irredeemable wasters above are allowed to outlast yet another manager, who will happily walk if he feels he isn't being backed.

I've put all my chips on the Conte (and Paratici) project.
If this genius maverick fighter insomniac obsessive pairing can't turn us around then I am doubtful any pair can for the forseeable.
I have faith these 2 can scrape and gouge the cheap talent out of Italy and implement a decent team capable of competing with most.

If there were only 50 "good enough" players in the world, we would have no chance.
But there are 500 (or whatever) so we have every chance of grabbing 20 of them and forming a good team.
The other clubs cannot stop us, IF we make the right moves.

It is not just an issue with players themselves, it is getting the balance right for this formation. At the moment, our wing-backs and CBs are not really suited to Conte's system. Only Romero is adept at playing out from the back and he's injured (young, a tad rash and settling into a new country). Regulion and Royal are not great attackers - they are full-backs who defend first. When what we need are attacking wingbacks who can stretch our play, assist and score.

In midfield we also don't have a lot of guile. Hojberg and Skipp are fine, both more defensive players and not amazing at passing or side-stepping a press. So we end up with 7 players who are not really attack-minded. The balance is not right.

For me, I'd develop Moura into a right wing-back. And Sessengon into a left wing-back. I'd move Royal into one of the CB roles. As he is decent on the ball. And you need CBs who can step into midfield playing 3 at the back. I would also tell Ndomebele I was going to play him the whole game and he needed to be ready to run through the pain barrier. If he fails he fails and we sell and move on. But we need him short-term as we have no guile in the middle otherwise. I'd be tempted to play Ndombele with Son and Kane but he could rotate with Skipp and Hojgerg too.

Last edited:

It’s funny how the attitude on players have changed due to who the manager is. Under Mourinho it was his fault that he couldn’t get a tune out of NDombele,Dele etc and similar for Nuno. Conte comes in, and within a couple of weeks you can find those previously claiming that we have a top 4 squad and should be doing so much better now all of a sudden saying these players should be moved on:D….
I'd like to put my hand up and say I've been one of the few who has consistently said the flipping players aren't good enough and the squad has had very little balance since the latter Poch days. Pretty much on the whole the board has disagreed and really wanted to believe in them, that they just needed some coaching to make it all turn out well. 3 years later and here we are. Our wider squad players are now our starters and people wonder why the quality and results have dropped so significantly.

I'd like to put my hand up and say I've been one of the few who has consistently said the flipping players aren't good enough and the squad has had very little balance since the latter Poch days. Pretty much on the whole the board has disagreed and really wanted to believe in them, that they just needed some coaching to make it all turn out well. 3 years later and here we are. Our wider squad players are now our starters and people wonder why the quality and results have dropped so significantly.

I love it when people think they were a lone voice of reason on here :p

I think if we got the managerial appointment post Poch correct we'd have likely seen a lot of that squad stay on and move forward with the new manager, with us progressing on the pitch - however with 2 more years of further regression & stagnation on the pitch because of poor decisions at the top and it has become a self fulfilling prophecy

I love it when people think they were a lone voice of reason on here :p

I think if we got the managerial appointment post Poch correct we'd have likely seen a lot of that squad stay on and move forward with the new manager, with us progressing on the pitch - however with 2 more years of further regression & stagnation on the pitch because of poor decisions at the top and it has become a self fulfilling prophecy

THESE PLAYERS JUST AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH!

You could have a management team of Guardiola, Clough, Klopp, Ferguson, Nicholson and Burkinshaw in charge and this bang average, mentally weak lot would still find new ways to fudge it up.

I really don’t understand what some people need to see before they believe that.

Perhaps last night will prove to be as important a game as when we lost 1-5 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine in 2016…

Goddam I miss Poch. Takes ‘I’m not angry, I’m just disappointed, but I’m actually fudging angry’ to a whole new level. Calm, but very clearly stating those players have ruined the weekend for his family, wife, sons. Brilliant. Matter of fact that some of those players would not be with us for the next season.

Does any other club suffer those results like we do? I don’t mean bad losses, I mean ones that given the talent in our squad, can only happen due to an utterly atrocious mentality at certain points.

Who said the players were allowed a vote? Somehow I do not think Levy ever gives the players a vote on the hiring or firing of players, sounds like fiction to me.

I’m not saying Levy listened to those players, or based the result of whether to keep Jose solely on that poll, but the poll happened and it would have had some effect, from a ‘has he lost the dressing room?’ kind of perspective.

But really my point was more that these players, that are capable of putting in atrocious performances against teams they should be beating with their eyes closed, think they should have any way whatsoever in whether their boss stays on.

I don’t think our transfer business since 2019 has been bad. I think we’ve brought in some very talented players and we’ve started paying bigger wages to get them. But what this means is that I think certain players take the tinkle, and they take the tinkle because there’s been no decisiveness in our direction as a club, no clear path forward that everyone knows we are following. Not since Poch. There’s been a lot of misalignment. A lot of some players being good for one guy but realising they don’t quite fancy it under the next guy. Our drift has happened because we haven’t solidly committed behind anybody, and the players know it.

I would have liked us to actually back Jose, or not hire him at all. I think he gave the squad home truths (which he is justified in giving because he has won more than they ever will, and has worked with the best in the world so knows what it takes) and the players decided they didn’t like it. Actually ridiculous when you think about it given the terrible mentality they routinely demonstrate. And that his whole thing was about improving mentality.

It looked like Roma were faced with a choice to back him ahead of some waster players that managed to lose 6-1 in the conference league, but they stuck by him and things seem like they are on an upturn again.

I just hope we properly back Conte now. Otherwise I really will have lost all hope.

You could have a management team of Guardiola, Clough, Klopp, Ferguson, Nicholson and Burkinshaw in charge and this bang average, mentally weak lot would still find new ways to fudge it up.

I really don’t understand what some people need to see before they believe that.

I agree with you and think that most are finally coming around to this conclusion. It's just that some are having a hard time realising that our current problems can't all be layed at the feet of Mourinho.

IMO we have been in regression since the Poch team of 16/17. That was a great team with everyone at their peak.

Lloris
Walker, Toby, Verts, Rose
Dembele, Wanyama
Son, Dele, Eriksen
Kane

We went from a great team to a good team in 17/18 but since then it's been a pretty shocking decline to where we are now.

Yes, I know we were 4th and CL finalists in 18/19 but our general play and performances were nowhere near the level of 16/17.

Of that team above only 4 remain. Lloris, Son and Kane (this season excepted) have generally performed to a high level. Dele's issues have been discussed to death.

The other 7 have simply been replaced by inferior players. Some of whom were merely squad players in 16/17 so it's no wonder that we have fallen so far of the pace. The mentality of said players is another issue but poor players usually equal poor results. There is only so much any manager can do.

I'm sure Conte is telling Levy exactly what's needed and Levy simply has to listen. He has nowhere else to go.

The really sad thing is a lot of these players are good enough, they just aren't hungry enough.
They look at spurs and think we'll never win anything, we're not good enough or rich enough.
There's no belief.
Or self respect for that matter.

It is not just an issue with players themselves, it is getting the balance right for this formation. At the moment, our wing-backs and CBs are not really suited to Conte's system. Only Romero is adept at playing out from the back and he's injured (young, a tad rash and settling into a new country). Regulion and Royal are not great attackers - they are full-backs who defend first. When what we need are attacking wingbacks who can stretch our play, assist and score.

In midfield we also don't have a lot of guile. Hojberg and Skipp are fine, both more defensive players and not amazing at passing or side-stepping a press. So we end up with 7 players who are not really attack-minded. The balance is not right.

For me, I'd develop Moura into a right wing-back. And Sessengon into a left wing-back. I'd move Royal into one of the CB roles. As he is decent on the ball. And you need CBs who can step into midfield playing 3 at the back. I would also tell Ndomebele I was going to play him the whole game and he needed to be ready to run through the pain barrier. If he fails he fails and we sell and move on. But we need him short-term as we have no guile in the middle otherwise. I'd be tempted to play Ndombele with Son and Kane but he could rotate with Skipp and Hojgerg too.

Good post and I agree with some of the CBs. Romero will look good in any system and Dier has been decent since COnte arrived. Davies as a back-up LCB will do for now. Will need to see re Tanganga. Rodon and Sanchez need shooting

Conte's real problem is not that everyone at the club is crap, but (i) there's some gaping holes, like in midfield, where there are multiple players who arent up to scratch and (ii) beyond his first choice 11 there's perhaps only 3-4 which might be up to standard, and a couple of those likes Sessegnon and Gil are potential rather than finished product. Therefore playing twice per week is *hard* as the first 11 cant play every game

If he can replace say 3 of Rodon, Sanchez, Dele, Ndombele, Doherty, maybe GLC, Bergiwjn, perhaps Winks, in January we'll be in a lot better position for the second half of the season, and then replace the others in the summer

It is possible that both the managers weren't good enough and several players aren't good enough, it isn't a case of either/or.
Reguillon has come out and send it was the worst few days of his life training under Conte. Dier has said it's like going back to the double sessions under Poch.
That's damning of the training sessions under Mourinho and Nuno. It was obvious that the fitness levels had dropped since Poch and that the players didn't
have a clue what was expected from them attacking wise.

That doesn't mean there aren't glaring weakness in several areas with players needing to be replaced. I don't think we have the players to play Contes system at the moment.
The WBs aren't good enough going forward and the balance isn't right in midfield (a long term problem). It may take a couple of windows to sort out but I do believe if Conte
and Paratici are given time and support they will get it right.

Back