• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Keep/Sell - who?

We can't afford to do that obviously as squads need to move forward, which means ins/outs and players here will have to make way for others coming in - but between now and the jan/summer window some of them will respond well to the coaching on offer and change some minds (and some won't)

The problem, as Conte identified, is that no amount of coaching will make some of them even passable players.

Ten years of coaching won't give Sanchez the brain he's lacked for all five years of his time here - it will not change the fact that he gets sat on his *rse by Slovenian pig farmers multiple times in one game.

Nothing, no coaching in the world, will make Doherty able to cross a football at, what, 30 years of age at this point? Nor take away his aura of lumbering uselessness.

Some of the edge cases like Moura are interesting - I don't think you can coach his utter randomness out of him in terms of his first touch either being brilliant or utterly woeful, but at least he tries hard and makes things happen.

Which is why I'm not fussed about him staying.

But the cycle of mediocre to outright atrocious players being atrocious, costing us games, and not improving one bit under Pochettino, Mourinho, Nuno or Conte...that will not change for the brainless Sanchez, the dire Doherty, the utterly clapped-out Dele, Tubsy Ndombele, Lo Celso who cares more about Argentina than he ever has about us. Moving them on for whatever we can get will lift the mood around the club just by them not being here, because otherwise they are time and energy sinks that offer absolutely no return - all effort on them is utterly wasted.

Keep

Hugo
Romero
Royale
Tanganga
Sessegnon
Reggie
Skipp
Gil
Son

Rest can leave as soon as possible as far as I’m concerned.
There's even about four i'd gladly let go for nothing.

Keep

Hugo
Romero
Royale
Tanganga
Sessegnon
Reggie
Skipp
Gil
Son

Rest can leave as soon as possible as far as I’m concerned.
There's even about four i'd gladly let go for nothing.

I’m unconvinced on Sessegnon, but agree otherwise. I’d certainly sell Kane now if we got a halfway decent offer.

I want us to get rid of all the flaky players. It is hard enough for a manager to get a team and tactics right, without having to worry about whether a player will turn up when picked. So get rid of Dele, Ndombele, Lo Celso. And Kane if Conte doesn't feel he's on board (although I do think he has been trying the last couple of games).

Need some realism as there's limits on the number of transfers which happen. Assume we can sell 2/3 this Jan, 4/5 in the summer and the rest next Jan

Sell as priority:

Sanchez
Doherty
Lo Celso
N'Dombele
Rodon
Dele
Bergwijn (unless he can be coverted to a RWB like Moses)
Clarke
Gollini (end his loan)

Keep long-term:
Lloris (or for as long as capable)
Reguilon
Romero
Højbjerg
Son
Gil
Royal
Tanganga
Skipp
Dier (assuming he continues to look capable in a back 3)
Sessegnon
Kane

Probably keep as last choice options in their positions for the next 18 mos, but could equally sell if we get decent offers
Winks
Davies
Lucas

Sanchez
Alli
Doherty
Lo Celso
N'Dombele
Rodon
Bergwijn
Clarke
Gollini - If can get another half decent back up
Winks
Davies
Moura

Can all be upgraded on/sold

There are a couple of slight differences in opinion but basically there are about 10 players who we all agree should be moved on...

Let's just hope Conte, Paratici and Levy have got the same list and another one of the players we want to sign....

An interesting way to assess individual players' ability is, for each of them, to go down the league table and work out where they'd be happily welcomed to become a part of their 1st XI. Totally subjective and I'm ignoring whether the other club would actually need them (which makes this something of a pointless exercise)

Hugo - West Ham
Doherty - Burnley
Reguilon - Woolwich
Romero - West Ham
Hojbjerg - Brighton
Sanchez - Everton
Son - Emirates Marketing Project
Winks - Southampton
Kane - Chelsea
Gil - Southampton
Royale - Woolwich
Rodon - Aston Villa
Dier - Crystal Palace
Lo Celso - Brighton
Sessegnon - Everton
Dele - Aston Villa
Gollini - Norwich
Bergwijn - Southampton
Tanganga - Southampton
Lucas Moura - Wolves
Ndombele - Brighton
Skipp - West Ham
Davies - Everton

Essentially what I'm saying is that only Kane and Son (both mostly judged historically) would get into a top 3 team and only a couple are good enough for a team in and around the 4th place race.

Some of these are temporary and several still have the jury out.

An interesting way to assess individual players' ability is, for each of them, to go down the league table and work out where they'd be happily welcomed to become a part of their 1st XI. Totally subjective and I'm ignoring whether the other club would actually need them (which makes this something of a pointless exercise)

Hugo - West Ham
Doherty - Burnley
Reguilon - Woolwich
Romero - West Ham
Hojbjerg - Brighton
Sanchez - Everton
Son - Emirates Marketing Project
Winks - Southampton
Kane - Chelsea
Gil - Southampton
Royale - Woolwich
Rodon - Aston Villa
Dier - Crystal Palace
Lo Celso - Brighton
Sessegnon - Everton
Dele - Aston Villa
Gollini - Norwich
Bergwijn - Southampton
Tanganga - Southampton
Lucas Moura - Wolves
Ndombele - Brighton
Skipp - West Ham
Davies - Everton

Essentially what I'm saying is that only Kane and Son (both mostly judged historically) would get into a top 3 team and only a couple are good enough for a team in and around the 4th place race.

Some of these are temporary and several still have the jury out.

So you think we should have kept mourinho then? Seems he finished above par for the players he had.

a few of them have regressed considerably since even last season.

What have we actually done to enhance the squad since he left? Romero is definitely an upgrade but currently injured and so suspect we wont see best of him until next season. Gil is a long-term project but looks nowhere near 1st team. Royale is a modest upgrade. Gollini is worse than Hart.

Bale and Vinicius were limited but the 20 odd-goals they contributed haven't even been replaced.

Mourinho contributed to some of that was undoubtedly a negative impact on the club - that said he was not 100% of the problem but equally was very evidently 0% of the solution.

Meanwhile Woolwich and West Ham have improved and Wolves, Brighton and Palace look to have a more balanced (if not talented) squad than us. I know I'm very glass half empty this week!

Back