• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Sanchez looked awful last night. Seemed like the pitch was cutting up badly though, but can't really make any excuses for a player at a PL-tier club playing against Gino's Pizzeria Bus Boy Staff FC.
Dier shored things up a bit when he came on. Honestly, I was glad he improved things and hopefully he does really well under Conte.

Sanchez looked awful last night. Seemed like the pitch was cutting up badly though, but can't really make any excuses for a player at a PL-tier club playing against Gino's Pizzeria Bus Boy Staff FC.
Dier shored things up a bit when he came on. Honestly, I was glad he improved things and hopefully he does really well under Conte.

I think he will, he has now got over all the problems with injury and illness and i suspect he will become a must player for Conte.

They didn’t really support attacks though
They did their job but we had a player in front of them (or several) who did (rose and Walker wide, Eriksen at 10)
Support as in free up and inspire confidence in the attack. For example, draw and commit a player or two before passing forwards.

Takes vision, selflessness and bravery to do that. Not easy to observe but that's the difference between Modric and Dembele vs. Hojberg and Lo Celso.

Surely been said before, know I've heard it on podcasts, but the central defender role in a back three could be the real making (or remaking) of Dier.

Shame about Romero's injury as we had the look of a good back three. Right sided centre back could be a real problem now, but Dier doing well is a big step in the right direction.

Still has to perform consistently for me to be convinced the corners have been turned, but this is a good start.

Lol its so silly to have this rhetoric, he was shockingly bad and people were right to call him out on his performances.... there are no "haters". He was decent again. Good for spurs.

Is it now not allowed to say he had another fine game?
What are you afraid of? :D

He did fine apart from when he was out on the right wing and let the ball through his legs and they nearly scored...
...and near the end when Pukki nutmegged him near the byline in the box in the left back slot, Dier was totally beaten and then went to mark some other player whilst Pukki laid a simple pass into a colleague (Sargeant) who muffed his strike.

Thanks to Norwich's poor finishing it was a good day at the office, but he could be getting pelters if Norwich were good at finishing.

He did fine apart from when he was out on the right wing and let the ball through his legs and they nearly scored...
...and near the end when Pukki nutmegged him near the byline in the box in the left back slot, Dier was totally beaten and then went to mark some other player whilst Pukki laid a simple pass into a colleague (Sargeant) who muffed his strike.

Thanks to Norwich's poor finishing it was a good day at the office, but he could be getting pelters if Norwich were good at finishing.
Indeed, there were a few poor moments…. If we want to try to win the big trophies then we need better but at present he is one of the best 3 centre backs at the club so starts on merit.

Aw, crap! Now I've got to admit the Daily Mail actually _can_ write a proper article.

Comes a cross very well there, Dier.
Also, nice to see that there are some footballers who have opinions and the courage to raise their heads and voice them.
Unfortunately, for every Dier or Rashford there seems to be a plethora of Nile Rangers, Nicholas Bendtner and other vermins.

Aw, crap! Now I've got to admit the Daily Mail actually _can_ write a proper article.

Comes a cross very well there, Dier.
Also, nice to see that there are some footballers who have opinions and the courage to raise their heads and voice them.
Unfortunately, for every Dier or Rashford there seems to be a plethora of Nile Rangers, Nicholas Bendtner and other vermins.

Footballers are not outside the norm of society ... refreshing to see though

Their medical section scares and encourages me at the same time.

I should not read it but in the early hours of the morning at least once a week I give in and go on there on my phone while the wife is asleep. I would advice anyone to give it a miss.

It's not so much that Dier has haters; it's that he has unconditional lovers/fanboys. I'm not saying it's uncool to have a crush on him, that's totally acceptable. No need to attack other people's opinions about any player as long as they're being respectful and aiming for objectivity.
Agreed about Dier being the best (fit) CB at the club now. IMO, Romero will be better but obviously not the case if he can't even play. Can even understand that his CB partners aren't exactly making Dier's job any easier. I do appreciate his passing range though even if he's no Toby.
I guess that's a good segue into the crux of my point (and possibly that of other posters here): we went from having Jan and Toby who were really good at what they did, to Eric and Davinson. Even assuming Romero were fit, that's still a downgrade from what we used to have IMO. Now with a different system, it's slightly apples and oranges.

Just to reiterate because people generally enjoy a good strawman argument:
  • I don't think anyone here hates Dier. I can't speak for everyone but if anyone here actually does hate Dier, tell us why!
  • On the contrary, I'd love for him to succeed but I do think he will need to be improved upon at some point. Don't think we should sell him, he would be a great squad player to have around. Not urgent for January, but maybe at the end of the season.
  • As for captain, maybe... I think Son would be a better fit but I could be wrong about that. Can't justify Kane being captain at this point unfortunately, PEH can be too much of a spaz and Skipp is too young.

Back