• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Ns Mura

I think Levy is in grave danger here. He's got to change his approach if he hasn't already.

Conte absolutely isn't the type of man to put up with getting Sissoko when he wants Wijnaldum or Jansen when he wants Mane or whatever. If that happens, he'll combust and walk. If Conte walks, especially in the next 12 months, and there is any inkling that it's because he feels he isn't being backed, the fans will make going to games unbearable for Levy. He's in last chance saloon.

I maintain that the hooking of Moura against United didn't just get that reaction because people thought Nuno was wrong. That was the trigger for the release of 3 years of frustration with this club from top to bottom. Nuno, as unsuitable as he was, just bore the brunt of it because he triggered something that was going to come anyway. That United game will seem like a picnic if the club fudge up with Conte. There is no point in hiring Lewis Hamilton if you're going to give him a Skoda to drive. This is crunch time for Levy in my opinion.
I think crunch time for Levy is dependant on whether he allows his ego to do the thinking over his business brain.
His business brain isn't going to give a brick about a fan backlash unless it hits his bottom line which I think is unlikely.
His ego and he does have one around Spurs, you don't pour your heart and soul into the stadium build and the sentimental attention to details without one, will be desperate to right the wrongs of the last few years and a toxic atmosphere in "his" stadium would hurt him deeply.
It's a toss of a coin for me as to how much Levy will back Conte, players out and in, there will obviously be some but as we saw last night it needs a lot.

Mate, he was playing, against, a Slovenian plumber.

5th place team in the Slovenian division. Paid 1/150th of what he makes, weekly.

Still got humiliated multiple times. In position or out of position, the bloke got schooled by players far, far, far below his supposed 'level'.

Let's look at how his career has progressed - came to Spurs, had a great first year, then went straight downhill - 2018/2019, was bad, 2019/2020, was bad, 2020/2021, was atrocious, 2021/2022, got sat on his a*se by a Slovenian plumber in the third-tier Conference league. Twice.

Mourinho's first things said to him were saying he specifically targeted his weaknesses in the EL final against Ajax. Sanchez proceeded to f*ck up on a weekly basis under that odious c*nt.

Nuno - probably his best period, tbh. For three months being protected by a back 10, he didn't make too many errors.

Conte - well, you saw today.

This bit about loyalty from players is hilarious. We've given him five years, and he has grown worse every year.

Loyalty? Loyalty to Winks (five years), Dele (six years), Sanchez (five years) is why we're in the mess we are in, mate.

We aren't at some super level where he has to earn his right to play. He, and the other wasters, have dragged us down to his level, which is being beaten by a Slovenian pub team, the worst-ranked in Europe.

Loyalty to these players got us into this situation. You think giving Davinson ten years at Spurs will improve his ability not to get haplessly sat on his arse by a Slovenian part-time potato farmer?

Sanchez, Alli, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Doherty etc always deserve one more chance always an excuse for them being appalling

It is the nasty manager
It is the tactics
Its the other players
They are just unlucky

etc etc

No wonder these players don’t show any will to win - stinking the place out, mistake after mistake and they get a pass

Last edited:
That was disappointing.

Conte will hopefully learn from this. Seems every manager we have get a learning experience like this, only problem is actually changing things for the better.

A few hours on I’m kind of glad tonight happened.

There really is nowhere for these players to go now as regards their Spurs’ careers - they are simply not good enough.

And the same applies to Levy - he has massively fudged up on the pitch. He’s now got to back Conte with serious money or his reputation is in tatters, and his and Lewis’s investment is holed beneath the waterline.

I've been saying this is the biggest thing about Conte...we will discover truths...

I think Conte also messed up a bit last night...

I would have started virtually the same team that stated the second half against Leeds.. There was at least something of a feel good spirit after that game and he should have tried to have kept it going..

If, and I know it's a big IF, they had played like they did in the second half on Sunday we would easily have been 3 up by 60 mins.. Conte could then have started to take players off and see out the game... Not too much taken out of the players physically or mentally...

Instead of that, they must be tired, fed up and probably struggling to get up for Sunday against Burnley... You would have thought somebody at the club would have told him not to trust the reserve players after previous dreadful European performances..

Dele has had it now... Why did he not even bother to run for that ball down the line in the first couple of minutes... And as for his half hearted challenge on the player leading up to their first goal words fail me ....

Doherty is quite simply not good enough and can't even seem to kick the ball properly..

Sanchez has had it now as well... Rodon didn't exactly look impressive and I thought that Dier and Davies looked a class above when they came on... Never thought I'd be saying that...

How can the 8th richest club in the world not have a back up for Kane... Even a 21 year old in the under 23s... Instead our only option has been 17 year old kids... Pathetic.

Conte looked a broken man in his interview and that is pretty much how I feel this morning...

I think Conte also messed up a bit last night...

I would have started virtually the same team that stated the second half against Leeds.. There was at least something of a feel good spirit after that game and he should have tried to have kept it going..

If, and I know it's a big IF, they had played like they did in the second half on Sunday we would easily have been 3 up by 60 mins.. Conte could then have started to take players off and see out the game... Not too much taken out of the players physically or mentally...

Instead of that, they must be tired, fed up and probably struggling to get up for Sunday against Burnley... You would have thought somebody at the club would have told him not to trust the reserve players after previous dreadful European performances..

Dele has had it now... Why did he not even bother to run for that ball down the line in the first couple of minutes... And as for his half hearted challenge on the player leading up to their first goal words fail me ....

Doherty is quite simply not good enough and can't even seem to kick the ball properly..

Sanchez has had it now as well... Rodon didn't exactly look impressive and I thought that Dier and Davies looked a class above when they came on... Never thought I'd be saying that...

How can the 8th richest club in the world not have a back u

I think it is vitally important for us and everyone who loves this club that Conte discovers everything early. He will have been told some of it by Paratici, but nothing is better than self-discovery. And he is discovering. And he will not tolerate. Unlike Mourinho, who was a trumper, this guy will walk at the end of the season if anyone lies and lies to him, at least that is my read.

I trust him to pull this off, and I trust us to win at Burnley because of him.

Last edited:
I think it is vitally important for us and everyone who loves this club that Conte discovers everything early. He will have been told some of it by Paratici, but nothing is better than self-discovery. And he is discovering. And he will not tolerate. Unlike Mourinho, who was a trumper, this guy will walk at the end of the season if anyone lies and lies to him, at least that is my read.

I trust him to pull this off, and I trust us to win at Burnley because of him.

I don't trust us to win against Burnley.
A lot of fringe players getting slated for last night.
Well last night wasn't a one off, it was actually closer to norm, and goes much deeper than the fringe players.
It's time to get honest with ourselves, this is much worse than we ever thought possible.
We've got rennes, Liverpool Leicester and west ham between now and Christmas.
That's a scary thought, teams that will be up for it and run us ragged.
It's not going to be a happy festive season.

This feels like groundhog day and I'm sure i'm writing something almost identical to post Vitesse, Zagreb and further back.

Whilst last night was another clusterfudge of a performance with question marks over selection, individual performance and tactical approach take a step back and view this through the prism of the absolute brickshow that has been Tottenham Hotspur's performance and attitude towards the Europa League and Conference ever since qualifying for the Champions League in 2010.

There is an indifference, which borders on the arrogance, permeating through the club when it comes to competing in the second, or third tier, of european competition. It seems that since 2010 there has been a feeling that we are a 'Champions League Club' and this developed since the stadium build and reaching the 2019 CL final. From the boardroom down to the fans (of which I am just as guilty) there is an apathy toward the competition and you very much see this reflected in the players' performances and attitudes.

By contrast the teams we play against see us as a huge scalp and so are always 'up for it' - therefore we go into games - regardless of who the manager is, who is in the starting XI, half baked and it always looks as though we're running around in slippers invariably until the opponent scores and then we try to up tempo but are chasing the game. You could apply this narrative to virtually every away europa game we have played since 2011 specifically in away games:

2011 Group Stage -
PAOK (a) 0-0
Rubin (a) 0-1

2013/14 K/O
Dnipro (a) 0-1

2014/15 Group
Partizan (a) 0-0
Besiktas (a) 1-0
Fiorentina (a) 0-2 Round of 32

2015/16 K/O
B Dortmund (a) 0-3

2016/17 - K/O
Gent (a) 0-1

2020/21 - Play Off
Lokomotiv Plovdiv (a) 2-1 0-1 until red card
LASK (a) 3-3
Antwerp (a) 0-1
D Zagreb (a) 0-3

2021/22 - Group
Vitesse (a) 0-1
Mura (a) 1-2

These games aren't just outliers - sure there are occasions where the games have rightly been deprioritised due to domestic needs (Fiorentina in 2015 was 3 days before League Cup Final and Dortmund was in middle of title challenge). In Knock-out games alone during the period we have won just 1 of 11 away ties (against Wolfsburger last season). That's right we've not won any of the other 10 (Lyon, Inter, Basle, Dnipro, Benfica, Fiorentina (x2), Dortmund, Gent, Zagreb).

Under AVB we took the competition more seriously (won all 6 group games in 2013/14 but against a backdrop of spankings in the league).

I dont think I'm being revisionist here but whilst there are undoubtedly major immediate issues that last night throws up around team selection, and depth of quality the constant here is the ambivalence to playing in the competition in the first place. Until this attitude changes throughout the club dont expect to see anything change.

This feels like groundhog day and I'm sure i'm writing something almost identical to post Vitesse, Zagreb and further back.

Whilst last night was another clusterfudge of a performance with question marks over selection, individual performance and tactical approach take a step back and view this through the prism of the absolute brickshow that has been Tottenham Hotspur's performance and attitude towards the Europa League and Conference ever since qualifying for the Champions League in 2010.

There is an indifference, which borders on the arrogance, permeating through the club when it comes to competing in the second, or third tier, of european competition. It seems that since 2010 there has been a feeling that we are a 'Champions League Club' and this developed since the stadium build and reaching the 2019 CL final. From the boardroom down to the fans (of which I am just as guilty) there is an apathy toward the competition and you very much see this reflected in the players' performances and attitudes.

By contrast the teams we play against see us as a huge scalp and so are always 'up for it' - therefore we go into games - regardless of who the manager is, who is in the starting XI, half baked and it always looks as though we're running around in slippers invariably until the opponent scores and then we try to up tempo but are chasing the game. You could apply this narrative to virtually every away europa game we have played since 2011 specifically in away games:

2011 Group Stage -
PAOK (a) 0-0
Rubin (a) 0-1

2013/14 K/O
Dnipro (a) 0-1

2014/15 Group
Partizan (a) 0-0
Besiktas (a) 1-0
Fiorentina (a) 0-2 Round of 32

2015/16 K/O
B Dortmund (a) 0-3

2016/17 - K/O
Gent (a) 0-1

2020/21 - Play Off
Lokomotiv Plovdiv (a) 2-1 0-1 until red card
LASK (a) 3-3
Antwerp (a) 0-1
D Zagreb (a) 0-3

2021/22 - Group
Vitesse (a) 0-1
Mura (a) 1-2

These games aren't just outliers - sure there are occasions where the games have rightly been deprioritised due to domestic needs (Fiorentina in 2015 was 3 days before League Cup Final and Dortmund was in middle of title challenge). In Knock-out games alone during the period we have won just 1 of 11 away ties (against Wolfsburger last season). That's right we've not won any of the other 10 (Lyon, Inter, Basle, Dnipro, Benfica, Fiorentina (x2), Dortmund, Gent, Zagreb).

Under AVB we took the competition more seriously (won all 6 group games in 2013/14 but against a backdrop of spankings in the league).

I dont think I'm being revisionist here but whilst there are undoubtedly major immediate issues that last night throws up around team selection, and depth of quality the constant here is the ambivalence to playing in the competition in the first place. Until this attitude changes throughout the club dont expect to see anything change.
Excellent post and great archaeological work there @GPRD81

TLDR; We need both to improve our top level, and our squad depth.
(TLICBATRATG = too long, I can't be arsed to read all that garbage)

A few things about yesterdays disaster.

It is quite understandable to be upset and angry about the result, the performance, and everything.

There has been screams of agony on this board every time Dier and Davies' names have been mentioned in the first team, with calls for D.S and J.R to play instead. Can this now please stop, untill Conte decides they are ready, or sold?
There is no other viable alternative untill january, so zip it! Davinson Sanchez had a really poor game yesterday, Rodon was slightly better, but together they were a disaster waiting to happen. Tanganga had most of his game ruined by having to shift to the left back after the red card.

As for the midfield, I think we can clearly state that a Skipp/Ndombele-combination didn't work as well as expected in the first half. Across the midfield 4 and the back 3 the passing were slow, turgid and it looked as if they were playing with one of those half-inflated plastic balls we used at the playground when we were kids. No matter how hard you kicked it, it would never gain any speed at all. But when they suddenly tried to play penetrating balls through Muras midfield, the ball turned into the most bouncy, untrappable object of all times, since none of the front three ever managed to trap it properly.

Gil is not ready. If he played like that against a Premier League-side he would have been eaten alive, chewed up, spit out and eaten again.
Dele Alli has lost all explosivity. Look back at one of his first run against the Mura right back. The Mura-player hardly breaks a sweat beating Dele to the ball. Dele appears to run full pelt, but looks like he is stationary. I fear for Dele, and I struggle to see how he can regain any form of career from this. I would hate it if he were to become the next Danny Rose, sitting in the player restaurant asking "heard anything from Milan? Anyting from PSG?", while the only teams willing to play him would be Charlton, Hull or Vålerenga, but neither would be able to pay his current wages.

Kane looks wooden, which he always do in august. His touch is off, his decisions are off, he turns into players instead of away from them, he doesn't shoot where he used to, and he does not seem to trust anyone anymore. Whats worse, Sonny doesn't appear to trust Harry anymore either.
This would not worry me, if we still were in august or september, but we're now approaching december, and it worries me. Please lock Sonny & Kane together into a room, and don't let them out untill they've worked it out and regained their relationship and trust. If neccessary, give them a bottle of whiskey and a karaoke-machine, whatever it takes! Just do it!

Ryan Sessegnion was diabolical yesterday. To his excuse, the ref was rather difficult to read, but once you get that early first yellow card, you can't do what he did! He has got to learn. But we were in trouble before he got sent off.
And Gollini didn't impress or project any confidence. I'll leave it at that.

The main problem for me first 32 minutes was the lack of pace and determination on the ball, and the poor choices we made on the ball. If you look at the "this is how conte plays"-videos on youtube, the "hit the reset-switch"-video, etc, and compare it with how we played before the red card, you'll see that we were miles off. Instead of resetting, going back, changing angle of attack, etc, Ndombele or Skipp, or someone else, tried to play a direct ball through the middle, or a poor cross was attempted from Doherty or whoever, even though it was clear that we were not in the right positions. Should have gone back, reset, pulled Mura out, created new imbalance, and tried again. Instead, we lost the ball, or created a poor chance.

Main problem from 32 minutes to half time, is of course the red card. That chucks every bit of gameplan out the window.

So is it all doom and gloom?

We could very well throw out the baby with the bathwater if we stopped there.
Because things improved during the game, most notably after the four first substitutions. Dier and Davies rebalanced the back three, and moved Tanganga back to the right side. Moura gave us a better focal-point for the passes and Sonny gave us much better movement. I have no doubt at all that if we had started with those four, and kept 11vs11, we would and should have hammered this team.

What comes out of this?
Our depth in the squad is not very good. Nor is it tailored to the demands of Contes style. We knew this already, but is was made blatantly obvious yesterday. We can coach our first 11 into do a passable/decent version of it, as the second half vs. Leeds shows. But reinforcements are needed. Once again, we knew that! What might come as a surprise to some, is that it may not be those we think who get shipped out and replaced.. Let's wait and see.

Meanwhile, we have the players we have, and we go again away to Burnley on sunday.

Last edited:
In Knock-out games alone during the period we have won just 1 of 11 away ties.
Great post but you listed the GROUP games and then gave this stat about the KNOCKOUT games. What is the equivalent for the GROUP games, have we won 3 out of 10 or whatever? Maybe you said it but I missed it

I haven't watched the game but I agree that it's a good thing he found out some truths on his own.

With hindsight, I think the turning point of Mourinho's tenure was Levy (allegedly) vetoing Ali's transfer. If it's true, it was a massive mistake as it showed players had more value to the club than the manager. That, in turn, allows such half-arsed performances as we've been witnessing for over year to carry on.

I remember a lot of people saying we had a Top 4 squad when a few of us claimed we were over-performing under Mourinho. Yeah, maybe on paper - and that's what brought people like Mourinho and Conte to this club in the first place - but on the pitch... not so much. Some of our players are over-rated because of the CL final, others just don't have the right attitude. Whatever it is, we can't afford to carry on like that.

We (i.e. the board) have to accept that we will take a massive loss on some of these tossers compared to their past valuations but we can't have that many passengers in our squad. They're unhappy because they're not playing regularly and yet, when they're given a chance, it's one humiliating result after the other.

Again, I didn't watch the game but, in terms of results, it's on a par with the Zagreb debacle, if not worse. Mura really are that bad. I was worried that a few of the usual suspects would up their game for a few weeks to get into Conte's good graces and then let him down but, thankfully, they're so far gone that they can't even do that.

The next window will be make or break, though. I'm a bit worried when I hear Conte say 'I am happy to stay here'. Three weeks on and he already has to mention that he doesn't want to leave... not good.

By the way, someone [looking at you Steve!] needs to post the highlights videos in the match threads because somehow I always forget they exist... but they do appear fairly quickly after the game.

What I particularly liked about Davinson Sanchez's match-winning own goal was how the Mura forward completely scuffs his shot wide but Sanchez is kind enough and good enough to loop the ball off his midriff, over the hapless Gollum in goal. Epic own goal in the last minute, potentially his last ever touch for Spurs?

Note Hojbjerg bottles a header and Davies turns into trouble and slips over, so they are also culpable for that 'winner' we scored.

Great post but you listed the GROUP games and then gave this stat about the KNOCKOUT games. What is the equivalent for the GROUP games, have we won 3 out of 10 or whatever? Maybe you said it but I missed it

You're right I haven't listed all the group games so for reference here they are:

2011/12
PAOK h 1-2 a 0-0
Shamrock h 3-1 a 4-0
Rubin h 1-0 a 0-1

2012/13
Lazio h 0-0 a 0-0
Panathinaikos h 3-1 a 1-1
Maribor h 3-1 a 1-1

2013/14
Tromso h 3-0 a 2-0
Sherriff h 2-1 a 2-0
Anzi h 4-1 a 2-0

2014/15
Asteras h 5-1 a 2-1
Besiktas h 1-1 a 0-1
Partizan h 1-0 a 0-0

2015/16
Monaco h 4-1 a 1-1
Anderlecht h 2-1 a 1-2
Qarabag h 3-1 a 1-0

2016/17 - 2019/20 (in CL)

2020-21
Antwerp h 2-0 a 0-1
LASK h 3-0 a 3-3
Luodogorets h 4-0 a 3-1

2021-22
Vitesse h 3-2 a 0-1
Mura h 5-1 a 1-2
Rennes a 2-2

The difficulty analysing these is that the quality of opponent is so variable so we have got away with some insipid performances but still won. Applying the 'eye test' it feels that under AVB we'd go and put in some professional, if unspectacular, performances. That group in 2015-16 containing Anderlecht Monaco and Qarabag looks a competitive group so 4 points not too bad especially having won all 3 home games.

In total that's 21 away games - on only two occasions have we scored 3 goals.

PLD 21
WON 7 (33%)
DRAWN 8 (38%)
LOST 6 (29%)

However, if you split these into 2011-12 - 2015- 16 (the years in between getting into the CL) to post 2019 CL final

2011-12
PLD 15
WON 6 (40%)
DRAWN 6 (40%)
LOST 3 (20%)

2020 - 2022

PLD 6
WON 1 (17%)
DRAWN 2 (33%)
LOST 3 (50%)

I appreciate that we're dealing with too small a sample size here but my inference is that the post CL FInal 2019 hangover has had a tangible and negative impact on the way we approach the Europa/Europa Conference league.

Just for further analysis...these are our away results in group stages from 2006 through until 2008/09 which is prior to our first CL qualification in 2010 (we did not qualify for europe at all in 2009/10)

2006:
Besiktas 2-0
Leverkusen 1-0

2007/08:
Hapoel Tel Aviv 2-0
Anderlecht 1-1

2008/09:
Udinese 0-2
Nijmegen 1-0

TLDR; We need both to improve our top level, and our squad depth.
(TLICBATRATG = too long, I can't be arsed to read all that garbage)

A few things about yesterdays disaster.

It is quite understandable to be upset and angry about the result, the performance, and everything.

There has been screams of agony on this board every time Dier and Davies' names have been mentioned in the first team, with calls for D.S and J.R to play instead. Can this now please stop, untill Conte decides they are ready, or sold?
There is no other viable alternative untill january, so zip it! Davinson Sanchez had a really poor game yesterday, Rodon was slightly better, but together they were a disaster waiting to happen. Tanganga had most of his game ruined by having to shift to the left back after the red card.

As for the midfield, I think we can clearly state that a Skipp/Ndombele-combination didn't work as well as expected in the first half. Across the midfield 4 and the back 3 the passing were slow, turgid and it looked as if they were playing with one of those half-inflated plastic balls we used at the playground when we were kids. No matter how hard you kicked it, it would never gain any speed at all. But when they suddenly tried to play penetrating balls through Muras midfield, the ball turned into the most bouncy, untrappable object of all times, since none of the front three ever managed to trap it properly.

Gil is not ready. If he played like that against a Premier League-side he would have been eaten alive, chewed up, spit out and eaten again.
Dele Alli has lost all explosivity. Look back at one of his first run against the Mura right back. The Mura-player hardly breaks a sweat beating Dele to the ball. Dele appears to run full pelt, but looks like he is stationary. I fear for Dele, and I struggle to see how he can regain any form of career from this. I would hate it if he were to become the next Danny Rose, sitting in the player restaurant asking "heard anything from Milan? Anyting from PSG?", while the only teams willing to play him would be Charlton, Hull or Vålerenga, but neither would be able to pay his current wages.

Kane looks wooden, which he always do in august. His touch is off, his decisions are off, he turns into players instead of away from them, he doesn't shoot where he used to, and he does not seem to trust anyone anymore. Whats worse, Sonny doesn't appear to trust Harry anymore either.
This would not worry me, if we still were in august or september, but we're now approaching december, and it worries me. Please lock Sonny & Kane together into a room, and don't let them out untill they've worked it out and regained their relationship and trust. If neccessary, give them a bottle of whiskey and a karaoke-machine, whatever it takes! Just do it!

Ryan Sessegnion was diabolical yesterday. To his excuse, the ref was rather difficult to read, but once you get that early first yellow card, you can't do what he did! He has got to learn. But we were in trouble before he got sent off.
And Gollini didn't impress or project any confidence. I'll leave it at that.

The main problem for me first 32 minutes was the lack of pace and determination on the ball, and the poor choices we made on the ball. If you look at the "this is how conte plays"-videos on youtube, the "hit the reset-switch"-video, etc, and compare it with how we played before the red card, you'll see that we were miles off. Instead of resetting, going back, changing angle of attack, etc, Ndombele or Skipp, or someone else, tried to play a direct ball through the middle, or a poor cross was attempted from Doherty or whoever, even though it was clear that we were not in the right positions. Should have gone back, reset, pulled Mura out, created new imbalance, and tried again. Instead, we lost the ball, or created a poor chance.

Main problem from 32 minutes to half time, is of course the red card. That chucks every bit of gameplan out the window.

So is it all doom and gloom?

We could very well throw out the baby with the bathwater if we stopped there.
Because things improved during the game, most notably after the four first substitutions. Dier and Davies rebalanced the back three, and moved Tanganga back to the right side. Moura gave us a better focal-point for the passes and Sonny gave us much better movement. I have no doubt at all that if we had started with those four, and kept 11vs11, we would and should have hammered this team.

What comes out of this?
Our depth in the squad is not very good. Nor is it tailored to the demands of Contes style. We knew this already, but is was made blatantly obvious yesterday. We can coach our first 11 into do a passable/decent version of it, as the second half vs. Leeds shows. But reinforcements are needed. Once again, we knew that! What might come as a surprise to some, is that it may not be those we think who get shipped out and replaced.. Let's wait and see.

Meanwhile, we have the players we have, and we go again away to Burnley on sunday.

A lot good and salient points there, but the big difference is that we could and did lift ourselves for non European games.
We aren't at the moment. We are dreadful in every competition.

Back