• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory - Tactics, Passion and Projects

milo

Jack L. Jones
Season 2 Episode 22

This week @thfcsteff, @milo, @awesome dawson and Simon play ketchup with the Conte regime and the spicey 2-1 win against Leeds at White Hot Lane. We also delve into the concept of project building versus instant-grat with football teams today. Will Tottenham ever build ‘a project’ again, or are we on the supercharged highway seeking instant success? All this and a message for the boo-boys.

Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-game-is-about-glory/id1549996381

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/show/2TL6nSBfDK0Dn7laU2Vcqp?si=zwUheITvQnSIyqyzKR0CE

Google Podcasts

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...2ahUKEwizwpz19K3vAhWD0YUKHf7ZBcgQ9sEGegQIARAC

RSS Feed

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/5ff4636ed6e3f1135f46f0cb

As always, an intelligent, well thought out analysis of the game! Well done guys.

Agree 1000% regarding the booing, really who the f**k are these people! We have an ELITE coach at last, he's only been here 5 minutes.

The booing is a blunt but necessary way of saying "stop sitting back and inviting pressure, shift the back line 20 yards forwards and press them and start to impose yourselves, please".

Conte agreed with this.

Maybe we could find an acronym to chant to replace the booing, e.g. ssbaipstbl2yfaptastiy?

Who is this Simon fella interloping onto our pod, I was working whilst listening so not really paying attention, but who is he and why was he on the pod, is he a Swedish ballet dancer, is he on the forum, is he an ex-player or what?

The booing is a blunt but necessary way of saying "stop sitting back and inviting pressure, shift the back line 20 yards forwards and press them and start to impose yourselves, please".

Conte agreed with this.

Maybe we could find an acronym to chant to replace the booing, e.g. ssbaipstbl2yfaptastiy?

Who is this Simon fella interloping onto our pod, I was working whilst listening so not really paying attention, but who is he and why was he on the pod, is he a Swedish ballet dancer, is he on the forum, is he an ex-player or what?

Conte's plan was to sit back for the first 45 minutes and soak up pressure, it worked a treat.

Simon is a mate from Twitter and now on regular rotation as a panel member.

Simon is a mate from Twitter and now on regular rotation as a panel member.
I suggest you explain a bit about who he is / if he is a Spurs fan etc. We all know Ricky and Aurora and Luton now but I expect all n00bs to be strip searched and fully custarded.

I suggest you explain a bit about who he is / if he is a Spurs fan etc. We all know Ricky and Aurora and Luton now but I expect all n00bs to be strip searched and fully custarded.
He was a couple of weeks back on his first appearance ;)

Conte agreed with this.

Conte also said we are not currently capable of doing that for 95 minutes. Hold the discontent until the end of the match (albeit even then trust this man to get them working IMO)...the tosser!:D

Conte also said we are not currently capable of doing that for 95 minutes. Hold the discontent until the end of the match (albeit even then trust this man to get them working IMO)...the tosser!:D
Indeed, in Conte we trust. But we actually outrun Leeds in the first half, and massively outrun them in the second - and Leeds are one of the best for distance covered so we are seeing significant progress already in this area…..

Indeed, in Conte we trust. But we actually outrun Leeds in the first half, and massively outrun them in the second - and Leeds are one of the best for distance covered so we are seeing significant progress already in this area…..

I think the psych side of his game is massive too, and we are clearly not a '95 min focussed' side right now.

Soaking up pressure and playing keep ball are regular Conte tactics. He will do this in certain games even when everyone is at the fitness level that he wants.

Hold the discontent until the end of the match
That is too late.

In the pod you imply that booing is a negative sentiment that will be heard by players and manager as criticism and thus they will be fearful and thus it will diminish their performances in the second half.

I feel that booing is a positive urge similar to when people chant "Attack, attack, attack" i.e. the booing is letting the team and Conte know that sitting back whilst losing, not engaging, not pressing, not completing basic sprints and passes, not showing for the ball, not having a shot on target for game after game, is not acceptable.

Conte can use that as his team talk i.e. guys, we need to go for it and make something happen, someone needs to step forward and threaten the goal and push Leeds back, and that is exactly what happened in the second half.

You say we can't push forwards for 95 minutes but I disagree; it is a different kind of physicality, it is tiring but a lot less demanding in terms of chasing the opposition and getting back into a defensive shape and mentally fighting the onslaught.

It is about having balls and saying "OK Bielsa, you want to man mark us, well watch what happens when we push the wingbacks forward and pull your centre backs out of position".

The wingbacks do most of the running and are replaced after an hour.

That is too late.

In the pod you imply that booing is a negative sentiment that will be heard by players and manager as criticism and thus they will be fearful and thus it will diminish their performances in the second half.

I feel that booing is a positive urge similar to when people chant "Attack, attack, attack" i.e. the booing is letting the team and Conte know that sitting back whilst losing, not engaging, not pressing, not completing basic sprints and passes, not showing for the ball, not having a shot on target for game after game, is not acceptable.

Conte can use that as his team talk i.e. guys, we need to go for it and make something happen, someone needs to step forward and threaten the goal and push Leeds back, and that is exactly what happened in the second half.

You say we can't push forwards for 95 minutes but I disagree; it is a different kind of physicality, it is tiring but a lot less demanding in terms of chasing the opposition and getting back into a defensive shape and mentally fighting the onslaught.

It is about having balls and saying "OK Bielsa, you want to man mark us, well watch what happens when we push the wingbacks forward and pull your centre backs out of position".

I think that you misunderstand the game plan. Allowing your opponent to tire themselves out and then press and commit more men to attack once they have is a valid tactic and one we will see frequently from Conte.

Passing back to create space to attack will be a frequent element of our play.

Booing either of these is counterproductive.

I think that you misunderstand the game plan. Allowing your opponent to tire themselves out and then press and commit more men to attack once they have is a valid tactic and one we will see frequently from Conte.

I understand that game plan, but disagree with it. Allowing them on, to spring a counter attack is a valid tactic; inviting pressure and failing to offer options to pass out of pressure will lead to problems as Mou Mou found out i.e. panicked play, swamped defenders, rash clearances, playing the game in our half, no attempts at their goal, goals against us.

That is too late.

We fundamentally disagree.

I find booing in that sense unacceptable even in that context, and what Conte is looking for demands both physical and mental strength. I think the latter is probably more what we’re missing at this point, given that we have not been set up consistently to attack/defend as a team since Pochettino era.

We don’t have the personnel to execute the second-half strategy for 90 mins. If Sess can find fitness and grow, then there’s a potential option. Our wing-backs are still getting used to delivering with better/more consistent quality.

Finally, we have to trust that Conte knows exactly what he needs to do, and what we need doing. I believe this is the case.

Appreciate both the exchange and your listenership mate. This is exactly what the pod should be about, so thanks for engaging.

Ah the old rope a dope.:)

Judging by our starting positions I think that was the tactic, but visually there were few redeeming features of that first half. I think we defended well but that was against a team that had their Kane/Son/Moura missing.

Besides it led to us being 1-0 down at home by halftime, hardly supportive of our approach or application, and a position you wouldn't want to be in every week.

Judging by our starting positions I think that was the tactic, but visually there were few redeeming features of that first half. I think we defended well but that was against a team that had their Kane/Son/Moura missing.

Besides it led to us being 1-0 down at home by halftime, hardly supportive of our approach or application, and a position you wouldn't want to be in every week.

I think Conte was somewhat caught on the hop by how technically loose we were in the first-half, and I put some of that down to fatigue and adjustment. I think his work is ferocious and I don't think our lot have been challenged like this for some time. When tired/sluggish, touch gets loose. Funnily enough, sometimes when you shake cobwebs off you'll get a second-wind, and this would've been further helped by Conte shifting the game tactically in the way he did second-half. IMO.

I'm not saying that it was particularly well executed in the first half but that was definitely the tactic. As well as our starting positions, you can tell by the fact that we had no coordinated press in the Leeds half, we were happy to let them have the ball there. I am sure that the plan was always to up the intensity when Leeds tired. Conte would've been going apoplectic on the sidelines if we were doing anything other than we had been sent out to do.

Chris Summersell has done a good video on Conte teams passing back.

On Sunday, Dier was our extra man. We are trying to get one of the players marking our wide CB or CM to leave their man to press Dier and leave a free man to pass to.

That will be part of the plan sometimes, but there are still times when the players are lazy or scared and send it back when they shouldn't.
Obviously conte is just here and things won't change overnight, but some of them need to grow a pair.
There was once instance on Sunday where we won a free kick just inside our half, two Leeds players wouldn't retreat the full 10 yards and rather than oush the issue the ball was knocked back to Hugo. That's not good enough.

Not that i condone booing, thats just pathetic. I was about post how quiet the stadium was when conte started to gee them up. The crowd was really poor on Sunday.

Back