• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Game Is About Glory - Spurs In The 90s

milo

Jack L. Jones
Season 2 Episode 21

This week @thfcsteff, @GPRD81 and @milo jump in the Game Is About Glory time machine to go back to the 1990s. What was it like being a Spurs fan in the 90s? Was Alan Sugar really that bad? Which players typified 90s Spurs? Our best and worst games of the decade? All this and Steff regales us with tales of his encounters with Nick Hornby and Sir Alex Ferguson.

Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-game-is-about-glory/id1549996381

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/show/2TL6nSBfDK0Dn7laU2Vcqp?si=zwUheITvQnSIyqyzKR0CE

Google Podcasts

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...2ahUKEwizwpz19K3vAhWD0YUKHf7ZBcgQ9sEGegQIARAC

RSS Feed

https://feeds.acast.com/public/shows/5ff4636ed6e3f1135f46f0cb

Brilliant episode lads, really enjoyed it!
2 memories stand out for me, Barmby’s goal to make it 3-1 v Blackburn in February 1995, we looked like a team going places that day. The other was the 6-2 win against Wimbledon at Selhurst close to the end of 97/98 and the sheer relief of avoiding relegation it prompted. Wtf happened in the intervening 3 years I have no idea, my brain has thankfully erased anything to do with THFC in that period.

2 memories stand out for me, Barmby’s goal to make it 3-1 v Blackburn in February 1995, we looked like a team going places that day. The other was the 6-2 win against Wimbledon at Selhurst close to the end of 97/98 and the sheer relief of avoiding relegation it prompted. Wtf happened in the intervening 3 years I have no idea, my brain has thankfully erased anything to do with THFC in that period.

Thanks mate...we are still remembering tons more great things to discuss...

Cheers @Mcfee. There's definitely going to be a part two of this episode at some point. As Steff said, there loads that we remembered afterwards and I am sure that with a different panel you'd get some very different memories

That was a great performance, goal and result as Blackburn would go on to become champions. It was a live Super Sunday so observed by the (sky sports subscribing) nation!

From memory Sherwood scored their goal?

Cheers chaps, couple of points of note:

1) My first ever game was the EXACT game Steff picked out as the worst game in the worst decade ever. No wonder I'm such a twisted negative pessimist. Coventry away. Saturday 9 April 1994. I had been badgering my family for years to go to a game and we finally went to a game at my nearest club, Coventry. Kevin Scott conceded a useless, stupid pen to Peter Ndlovu and we lost 1-0. I thought Barmby Anderton and Sheringham would be enough, but we were crap.
I had got tickets to see Nirvana for my 20th birthday, 6 April 1994, but Kurt killed himself on 5 April 1994, the day before my 20th birthday. Motherf*cker.
What a few days that was. FML.
https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premier-league-1993-1994-coventry-city-tottenham-hotspur/

2) You were a bit disrespectful of Ossie. I know his team did not perform well. I can understand that, but there is a great interview here with Ossie about studying to be a lawyer, overthrowing the oppressive and murderous regime in Argentina, fleeing the country to Spurs whilst his friends were being murdered, his incredible DEFENSIVE managerial performance in Japan... vital listening if you want to understand this genius player and manager. Skip the first few minutes.

Another good pod chaps. My formative Spurs decade, didn't realise I was being forged in the fire at the time.

Wtf happened in the intervening 3 years I have no idea
I wondered if this was, like Gareth says, because the seasons in the 90s seemed to have very little bearing on one another. Modestly hopeful to Serious Relegation Fears™ in one summer. But then again I probably can't remember most of the seasons in the 00s either.

Cheers chaps, couple of points of note:

1) My first ever game was the EXACT game Steff picked out as the worst game in the worst decade ever. No wonder I'm such a twisted negative pessimist. Coventry away. Saturday 9 April 1994. I had been badgering my family for years to go to a game and we finally went to a game at my nearest club, Coventry. Kevin Scott conceded a useless, stupid pen to Peter Ndlovu and we lost 1-0. I thought Barmby Anderton and Sheringham would be enough, but we were crap.
I had got tickets to see Nirvana for my 20th birthday, 6 April 1994, but Kurt killed himself on 5 April 1994, the day before my 20th birthday. Motherf*cker.
What a few days that was. FML.
https://www.worldfootball.net/report/premier-league-1993-1994-coventry-city-tottenham-hotspur/

2) You were a bit disrespectful of Ossie. I know his team did not perform well. I can understand that, but there is a great interview here with Ossie about studying to be a lawyer, overthrowing the oppressive and murderous regime in Argentina, fleeing the country to Spurs whilst his friends were being murdered, his incredible DEFENSIVE managerial performance in Japan... vital listening if you want to understand this genius player and manager. Skip the first few minutes.

As always, great feedback mate.
Ah yes a pen, Scott was the reason be so I at least remembered that bit...and I was trying to say that without the points deduction he might've been a great manager for us.

Yes. Cobain's passing was massive.

I can't honestly remember how many games I went to in 93/94, but I distinctly remember in our moment of need, with relegation a real possibility, you do the hard yards, get behind the team and support them.
Boundary Park, midweek, tense as f.ck.
Over the barriers when the second goal went in...we were safe. The team showed up that night. Poor Oldham, (and their bricky pitch) were down. The (long) drive home, buoyant.

Last edited:
Now THAT is a great memory. I watched it upstairs in a pub in Leeds in my final year of Uni, happy days. Could. Not. Believe. It. The hapless Rocket suddenly banging them in from everywhere.
Well, I was in bed when that hat trick happened! I remember my Mum telling me I had to turn the radio off at the end of FT as I had school the next day. I’ll never forget my older brother - who didn’t like football, but somehow ‘supported’ Liverpool - was so excited by the result he came in and woke me up to tell me what had happened! Needless to say, I couldn’t sleep all night.

Great memories…

Now THAT is a great memory. I watched it upstairs in a pub in Leeds in my final year of Uni, happy days. Could. Not. Believe. It. The hapless Rocket suddenly banging them in from everywhere.

Wasn't it absolutely mental?!!!!!!! We are guaranteed a great second '90s chat when it happens...

Great pod again, especially as a lot of the 90s seem to have passed me by!

Tried to think of one result to change that wouldn't affect spurs and its tough.
The Argentina v Netherlands 78 World Cup. But then would we have got ossie and ricky?

Red star beating Barcelona, which as i remember it pushed the CL along.

England not winning the WC, maybe we would have got Bobby Moore from the club that almost won the WC.

Would probably go for utd not beating forrest to save SAF job. Although the repercussions of that would have been huge.

Great pod again, guys. :) I was so young at the time, so didn't really get all the brick behind the scenes at the time - but boy oh boy was it hard following this bloody team as a kid in elementary school in the 90's - 1-7 away to Saudi Sportswashing Machine the lowest of the low for me. I lay on the sofa the entire night crying, my mom trying to comfort me or whatever saying "you shouldn't take it so personal" - haha, fudge off, mom. 1-6 at home to Chelski with fudging Flo scoring a hat-trick as well, Norwegian newspapers and media having a field day while I had ride off the abuse from the kids at school.

Last edited:
Cheers @Daisuk. I had that Saudi Sportswashing Machine game down as my second choice low point, if someone else had picked Köln
That made me think of this game. FFS Spurs you chumps.

Stunningly Tottenham were undone by two injury-time goals in the space of 120 seconds in the Fritz Walter Stadium last night to put to ruin what until then had been a performance of much valour.
George Graham's team had seen out the 90 minutes, their crossbar struck and Ian Walker producing two impressive saves, when Kaiserslautern came at them again, devastatingly this time through Youri Djorkaeff who had been consistently the German catalyst on the night.
The tricky Frenchman twice ran at the Tottenham rearguard and brought about a collapse on each occasion

Seriously Spurs? Losing 2 goals in the 89th and 90th minute to go out of Europe?
Steve Carr played them onside for the first goal. Whilst moaning at everyone else.
Then neatly finished their second goal for them. tacot.

Edit. Just look at Judas diving in but failing to take ball or man in the last second, then charging back and failing to cut out the cross. Fccker.

And Gooner George Graham for leaving out Ginola. Idiot.

Back