• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Is it true that Nuno wasn't able to bring his backroom staff with him? How different from Mourinho and Conte and if so why?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

It is true. He didn't go to Everton or Palace before us for the same reason apparently. It's a large backroom staff.

Not totally true, surely?

Ian Cathro and at least 3 others sacked on Sunday were his crew. Might not have brought his full unit but he did have 'his people' in some positions.

You guys have a worse memory than even me! Correct, Nuno was not allowed to bring everyone he wanted, and had to decide who to bring and who to leave out.
Sometimes you think from afar "just let him bring what he needs to succeed, or we are cutting off our chances" but perhaps he had a load of hangers on that were not truly necessary.
One simple solution could have been a Levy Special Contract like "when we pay your severance we will deduct the cost of everyone else's pay that you insist on bringing" or whatever, you get the gist!

At the end of the day, he was just a glorified caretaker until we convinced Conte to sign. I wasn't his biggest fan, but it's an unforgiving task. Hopefully, Levy and Paratici were clear on that when he was appointed.

Won manager of the month only to be supplanted by a top in-demand manager and left still in competition for CL places and cups. CV should still look OK for his next role.

Thinking about how calm he handled things I suspect he knew somehow he was caretaker too. Paid well for a few months work, especially considering he wasn't doing much when we hired him.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

At the end of the day, he was just a glorified caretaker until we convinced Conte to sign. I wasn't his biggest fan, but it's an unforgiving task. Hopefully, Levy and Paratici were clear on that when he was appointed.

I hope conte was clear to Levy also, "back me like this, not the way you think you have been backing the manager, or I walk, simple"

I think he was a glorified caretaker until going for Poch next summer.
Either way, the club hasn't acted well.
It's a contract that Nuno signed eyes open. Who knows maybe he knew he was a caretaker, the signs were obvious.

If it happened to me ~ offered a high profile short term contract while unemployed... I'd be delighted!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

Last edited:

It was a swing for both. No one should deride him given the issues in our dressing room. Similarly, I think he needed to be doing an unarguably good job results wise to keep the job given how he got the role. The moment that it seemed like the belief just wasn’t there the understandable call to Conte was made.

Hopefully the relationship with Paratici means we won’t get to the point that happened with Chelsea; the endless strife with the board. He’ll feel he has an ally there. He hasn’t really combusted anywhere else other than Chelsea since Juve.

How so? It's the name of the game. Football managers earn a ton of money for the work they do, partially because it's so intense and high risk. You get paid for that risk, and you know it very well - if results are bad, you might need to go look for a new job soon. It comes with the territory, and all the managers know it, and still choose to do it. Sure, I can sympathize with Nuno, but the club has simply looked out for itself, like any other club would.

How so? It's the name of the game. Football managers earn a ton of money for the work they do, partially because it's so intense and high risk. You get paid for that risk, and you know it very well - if results are bad, you might need to go look for a new job soon. It comes with the territory, and all the managers know it, and still choose to do it. Sure, I can sympathize with Nuno, but the club has simply looked out for itself, like any other club would.
I wasn't just referring to Nuno.
It seems like overall it was the wrong appointment and didn't have the backing of the club - that will just never work.
So I do think the club acted poorly to Nuno, but I was mainly saying the club acted poorly overall - the decision making let down all the stakeholders; manager and his coaches, players, fans.
The club literally set him up to fail.

I wasn't just referring to Nuno.
It seems like overall it was the wrong appointment and didn't have the backing of the club - that will just never work.
So I do think the club acted poorly to Nuno, but I was mainly saying the club acted poorly overall - the decision making let down all the stakeholders; manager and his coaches, players, fans.
The club literally set him up to fail.

Hard to disagree with that! It was a very strange appointment. I'm not sure what the thinking behind it was, maybe we had Conte in the back of our heads all along.

Naming all the Spurs managers in sequence since one started supporting them has always been a tricky game, but very few of us will deliver a flawless “Poch-Jose-Mason-Nuno-Conte-Mason” when challenged in fifteen years time, and poor forgettable Nuno will be the stumbling block for everyone.

Agreed in the fact that we’ve wasted even more of our playing budget on severance pay for a manager and his coaching staff.

Sacking him was the right thing to do, he wasn’t good enough. The problem was him being appointed in the first place…. It was clear he was a cheap option (though probably hasn’t actually ended up being cheap with us having to compensate him and his coaching squad to leave). Seeing as Levy owned Mr Byrite, he should know all about the ‘buy cheap, buy twice’ analogy.

Anyway, at least we finally have a top class manager in place, we can now enjoy the ride (though have probably wasted this season and even more £s by not getting him in in the summer)

Agreed in the fact that we’ve wasted even more of our playing budget on severance pay for a manager and his coaching staff.

Sacking him was the right thing to do, he wasn’t good enough. The problem was him being appointed in the first place…. It was clear he was a cheap option (though probably hasn’t actually ended up being cheap with us having to compensate him and his coaching squad to leave). Seeing as Levy owned Mr Byrite, he should know all about the ‘buy cheap, buy twice’ analogy.

Anyway, at least we finally have a top class manager in place, we can now enjoy the ride (though have probably wasted this season and even more £s by not getting him in in the summer)

Will be very interesting to see what the actual truth was if it ever comes out about this summer. As in, the line the club is now spinning, Conte included, about him not being in the right mental space. Is that true? Or was he perfectly willing to come if he got the exact same assurances we have just given him?

I don’t get the impression Conte needs the biggest cheque book. I think he just knows what he wants and needs a club willing to get him the types of players he needs (hence being so annoyed losing Llorente to us.)

So yeah, if the real truth is that we thought we could muddle along with Nuno rather than do what it took to get Conte, only to then give him what he wanted anyway, it will be a big balls up from Levy. We got to the right place eventually, but I’d love to know the truth.

The truth... Is elusive. From AVB onwards I think Levy has a gag order in all contracts. How long are these enforceable? Isn't there a statute of limitations of some kind?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

Will be very interesting to see what the actual truth was if it ever comes out about this summer. As in, the line the club is now spinning, Conte included, about him not being in the right mental space. Is that true? Or was he perfectly willing to come if he got the exact same assurances we have just given him?

I don’t get the impression Conte needs the biggest cheque book. I think he just knows what he wants and needs a club willing to get him the types of players he needs (hence being so annoyed losing Llorente to us.)

So yeah, if the real truth is that we thought we could muddle along with Nuno rather than do what it took to get Conte, only to then give him what he wanted anyway, it will be a big balls up from Levy. We got to the right place eventually, but I’d love to know the truth.

As during our search for a manager this summer there is a lot of speculation about what happened ( usually drummed up by the so called ITK and the likes of Gold etc)> Said at the time that a lot of fans got into believing everything they read or hear, the truth is NO ONE really knows what happens within the club except those who are dealing with the situations.

Far to many fans speculate on what is mostly RUBBISH and start believing it. Sensiable fans take most of what they read with a mountain of salt which is the way to go.

Back